Had to move my sour and now the pellicle is mostly gone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedge421

Reaction score
I had to move my 2 month old Tart of Darkness clone from the garage to the basement. It had a pretty thin pellicle on the top of it and after the move I would say 90% of the pellicle is gone with just a few big floating chunks here and there left. Is this going to be a problem? And will the pellicle just grow back? Thanks!

I had to move my 2 month old Tart of Darkness clone from the garage to the basement. It had a pretty thin pellicle on the top of it and after the move I would say 90% of the pellicle is gone with just a few big floating chunks here and there left. Is this going to be a problem? And will the pellicle just grow back? Thanks!

It should be fine. The pellicle is a protective layer formed in response to the presence of oxygen. They may show up during the aging process of a sour/funky beer, or not. If you think that in moving it, you may have sloshed it around too much, you may want to hit it with a little co2 to flush out any oxygen that may have been introduced. After that, I'd just leave it alone for at least the next 6 months before sampling (depending on how sour you want it).

You may get some extra acetic acid (vinegar) production which is an acceptable (in small levels) flavor in a Flander's Red but no other style that I know of.

There's nothing more you can do but sit back and wait for the pellicle to reform.

Back