Had a few bottling infections... is this hard core enough???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought my process was pretty darned good, but after @ 3-4 weeks in the bottle I sometimes get that Belgiany taste/smell from an infection (not intended! :cross:) I can always tell when a bottle is infected now by the 'psssfttt' when uncapping... I don't even need to pour the beer. :(

What I was doing: Soaking the bottles in a brewery-grade caustic/hot water mix for 15 minutes - then going thru each bottle with the bottle brush. Rinse thoroughly. Store in plastic bags wrapped tight to keep particles out. Then on bottling day, fill my sink with Star San and let the bottles sit in that for 5 minutes. They get filled immediately after draining the sanitizer one at a time.

What I will do from now on: Buy a 55 gallon plastic drum and fill with OxyClean. Put all the bottles in it overnight. Remove the bottles and rinse with a bottle washer. Then sterilize by running thru the dishwasher without any detergent. Upon removal from the dishwasher, put the bottles into the sink filled with Iodaphor for good measure. Remove/drain/fill each bottle one-by-one.

I gotta believe this will get the job done. Of course the bottle caps are soaking in sanitizer too (as they were previous). Please offer any insights/suggestions... it's terribly frustrating!

One oversight: After leaving the bottles in the OxyClean overnight, do I still need to have at each one with the brush?

Heres some food for thought. The infection may likely be in your bottling bucket and/or spigot. The spigot can get some beer inside which is impossible to clean. I'd try replacing that first before going all crazy on the bottling. Much less effort to replace a $5 bucket and $5 spigot.

also your dishwasher won't sterilize, it will sanitize. To sterilize you would need to put them in the oven for a considerable period of time, or put them in an autoclave.

I'm fairly certain I've traced the problem to the bottles themselves, as if it were the bottle gun/keg I'd have every bottle infected, which is not the case...

I thought putting the bottles in the OxyClean would remove everything so that the bottles would be as good as sterilized... no?

If I will need to sterilize the bottles, I imagine boiling them isn't an option?

Where are these bottles coming from? If they are yours (just being reused), I almost think all of that is overkill. That being said, I know Jamil says he always uses new bottles.

I rinse all my homebrew bottles immediately following pouring, capping the top with my thumb and shaking vigorously before rinsing a time or two and then it's straight to the bottle tree. I oxi-clean them only if they have beer stone. A quick soak in Starsan right before bottling and they're good to go. I've never had a bottle infection.

Oxyclean, B-Brite or PBW is going to physically lift the larger particles off the vessel. You shouldn't have to brush them..

This may be a stupid question, but are you cleaning and sanitizing your priming sugar, bottling bucket, bottling wand, etc.? It doesn't matter how clean the bottles are if you are introducing the infectious agents right before the beer goes in the bottles.

I thought putting the bottles in the OxyClean would remove everything so that the bottles would be as good as sterilized... no?

If I will need to sterilize the bottles, I imagine boiling them isn't an option?

You need to listen to the BN show on Cleaning and the one on Sanitation. They talk to the guy (can't remember his name) from Starsan. Both good programs. Oxyclean will only clean the bottles, not sanitize and certainly not sterilize them.

Boiling will sanitize and maybe sterilize, although I can't remember on the latter. Heat sanitation was all brewers had before chemicals. It just requires so much time and energy that chemicals are a better solution.

These are bottles I own and use and re-use... 12oz, 22oz. Also 16oz & 35oz flip top bottles...

Again, I believe I've traced the problem to the bottles. I don't believe there are any issues with the bottle gun or kegs as they are cleaned by pumping hot caustic water thru them... plus not all bottles get infected so that leads me to believe it is with certain bottles that didn't get cleaned enough.

I DO rinse each bottle after use and store upside down til dry. I still know that isn't enough as I can always see a mild ring where the beer level was on the neck of the bottle.

wow, that plan seems overkill. I've never had an infection and I just put a little iodophor mix in each bottle, shake, and pour out a few minutes before bottling. I also rinse out bottles immediately after I pour them...are you doing that?

wow, that plan seems overkill. I've never had an infection and I just put a little iodophor mix in each bottle, shake, and pour out a few minutes before bottling. I also rinse out bottles immediately after I pour them...are you doing that?

Yes absolutely! You gotta believe I've been pretty meticulous in all aspects so this recurring issue has me going mental.

Since I reuse bottles, I suspect an infected bottle that wasn't properly cleaned/sterilized just compounded the problem each time it was filled...

Back