Had a couple Bells Two Hearted IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
..and I'm not too sure what the fuss is about. Very mild aroma, too dry and sorta "beery"(if that makes sense). Don't get me wrong, it was a good ale, but nowhere near the quality I would expect to taste in a beer with a "100" rating on BA. Old keg maybe? I was at the Wexford Alehouse in Wexford Pennsylvania and saw it and was excited as I've never been able to get it in California. It was a good ale. I liked it, but the beer it's sometimes compared to... Pliny... Is much better in my opinion. I might go to "the church brewery" in Pittsburgh tonight. Anything I should try?

image-403195555.jpg

One of my favorite beers. I'd never describe the aroma as mild. I'd try again else where. Or by a bottle with a production date on it.

I'm not sure about this, but my opinion is that it likely was pretty old. Two Hearted in its prime is very hoppy and delicious. Maybe a tad dry for some people's tastes, but I enjoy it that way. I've had old 6 packs and wasn't impressed, but then had a fresh batch and remembered why I love that beer.

Yeah had to have gotten into an old keg.... It is everything but mild aroma. To me it's an aroma explosion, of citrus, pine, and peach blossoms. To me that is what 2HA is all about, and is why it is one of my all time favorites!

Probably an old keg, it's not usually as you described.

If you're going to Pittsburgh, I recommend FatHeads in the Southside. I could make you a list of things a mile long that you need to do though.

Hopefully an old keg. It tasted and smelled like it had potential.

Been to Fatheads in Pitt an Ohio. The Head Hunter IPA is one of my all time faves!

The Church just looked interesting is all. Beers not so great?

To each his own, I would take a Two hearted over a Pliney any day of the week. I had the oppurtunity to have the two hearted in an aged cask/firkin. Talk about amazing.

I like me some 2 hearted.
I brew a 2 hearted clone that uses their yeast(bottle harvested) and it comes out darn good, and not overly dry. I even used the same yeast in a Zombie dust clone that came out fantastic.

I have to go with the others that it was an old keg. A fresh one will have a grapefruit nose with a nice hop kick.....not like pliny, but noticeable.

I have had 2 hearted and Pliny. To me, 2 hearted is pretty good, but no comparison to Pliny. Two totally different beers. Pliny winds hands down.

Hopefully an old keg.

'Twas, I'm sure. Like someone else said, 2 Hearted is grapefruit up front on the nose, and quite hoppy. Not Pliny hoppy, but nice and citrus-y. Pretty dry, yeah, but nicely balanced. My guess is an older keg, the way you describe it is similar to the dated bottles I've had. Sucks, it's a great beer, hopefully you can try some fresh 2 Hearted someday.

I had it twice. Once in bottle and once in keg from a reliable pub. Both times I was not all that impressed. It's a good beer, but not to the level of what I've heard.

THA is a great brew. It is best very fresh.

In fact I am brewing up something very similar tomorrow. All Centenial IPA....yum

I normally LOVE 2HA, however, I purchased a 6 pack the other day and it just didn't taste quite right. It was fine but it tasted old. The thing is, the packaging date on the bottle is 4/9/12. So it's not old, I'm wondering if they had an off batch or something and that is what the OP had.

To be fair, I've only had one bottle from the 6 so maybe just that one is off. The beer was a bit darker than I remember and not nearly as hoppy in aroma or flavor as it is usually.

Seemed like the last time I had 2HA about a month ago, it tasted a little sweeter and less bitter than when it first came out. That said, it was still a very good beer. I have friends who normally won't touch IPAs who enjoy 2HA. I wouldn't write it off just yet, without finding a fresher batch.

I've only had it out of the bottle. It's a very mild IPA in my opinion. I would never describe it as bitter. It does have a citrusy aroma that is nice. I've made a clone and got pretty close with Centennial and lots of late hops.

I think it's good, but a different animal from Pliney.

Back