habanero in wine problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicagomead

Reaction score
So I usually make cranberry wine, I've made this recipe many times without issue. but I just made a batch with habaneros in the primary as a experiment for some possible cooking wine. however the yeast don't seem to be going to work. any ideas why everyone? is it possible the habaneros killed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've made several meads (not technically wine, but, close enough) with habaneros, some with habs in primary, never had a problem. Just wondering, how many habaneros in how big a batch, and what yeast are you using??? At one point I put 15 habaneros in a 5 gallon batch....it fermented to 18+%, was hot as all get out...LOL....great for pouring shots of on a cold MI winter evening :cool:

I made two separate 1 gallon batches at the same time. the first only has 1 in it and the 2nd has 3 peppers. I used QA23 yeast. the yeast never gives me problems before now.

I dont see why a Habanero would inhibit yeast from working?

I have made apple Jalapeno wine, using a dozen jalapenos for 1/5 gallon of juice.

That took off like a rocket.

Try adding some yeast nutrient.
Or a yeast starter!
:rockin:

Thanks. I'll try that. Hopefully it will fix it. Really want this batch to work.

Sorry, got distracted with school and holidays, it actually is working at this time and just put into secondary. I'm guessing it was user error. :) Thanks everyone. And from first tasting I'm going to be sticking with 3 peppers per gallon from now on, going from a cooking wine to a sipping wine for me.

I'm about to bottle 3 gallons of oaked habanero ginger mead, I believe I used 4 habs and 15 oz(?) fresh grated ginger root in it, it's been bulk aging for many many months, now, and the taste is fantastic...honey is apparent, ginger is there in the background, habanero aroma, and the heat begins when you swallow, not bad up front at all...not bad after swallowing, either, really, but...pepper "heat" is very subjective, one man's "too hot" is another man's warm-up, so to speak.

My batches of Habanero have around 100 peppers per 3 gallons..
I don't see how heat can effect the alcohol or yeast!

Latest posts

Back