Gypsum...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should understand the ionic composition of your water, and the effects of adding different salts on the mash and flavor profile before blindly following random advice. You should read the water primer in the brewing science section as a start.

Gstar is correct you should definitely read a little on water chem. But generally gypsum is used to increase the perception of bitterness from hops. You can either add them to your mash or boil. If you add them to the mash they will also impact the composition of your mash. If you add them to the boil they impact flavor.

I would do small batches to test different amounts used also. Ive ruined a few 6 gallon batches with too much gypsum. i added 20g once (ruined and made me sick) 5g (drinkable but was almost ruined) and now im doing 1g

All using 50% distilled and tap water containing 21ppm sulfates

Not sure but, I used a teaspoon of gypsum and 0.65 ounces of 5.2 ph stabilizer in my mash water... This is what I was told to use with the water in my town...

Not sure but, I used a teaspoon of gypsum and 0.65 ounces of 5.2 ph stabilizer in my mash water... This is what I was told to use with the water in my town...
You can't do the same thing for all kinds of beers. For darker beers (stouts, porters etc) I use my tap water which has high alkalinity(PH is about 8,5). For lighter beers I use RO water and minerals like calcium-chloride, gypsum and MgSO4.

I think your beer will be fine, but do read up on what additions like Gypsum and CaCL do to the mash and kettle when you add it. I've always stayed away from Gypsum and only added CaCL to the mash water to get my Calcium to at least 50ppm. Some people really like what Gypsum does, other prefer CaCL as it accentuates the maltiness. Best thing to do is to brew this beer again but use Distilled water and add 1 tsp CaCL to the mash and see which one you like better.

Also, if you're getting interested in monitoring your mash/water profile and how it affects your beer, I would definitely get a PH tester and measure the mash PH to keep it as close to 5.5 as possible. If you're using Distilled water and brewing a light beer, you need to add some acid (phosphoric, lactic or acidmalt) to the mash to bring the PH down (after you've tested it at room temperature and seen that it was high). If you're brewing a darker beer (the dark malts pull the PH down below 5.5) then you might need to add some Calcium Carbonate to the mash and give it about 10 to 15 minutes to bring the PH back up some.

Most of this you can read about on here and anything by AJ DeLange is worth reading twice, I would suggest the Primer in the Brew Science section.

Back