Guess the Homebrew Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
For this thread post the most unlikely problems that you've had crop up because of home brewing and other posters will guess their source.

I'll start.

Because I home brew there is dog hair on one of my blankets. I don't own a dog. Why is their dog hair on my blanket?

A K9 unit came because someone reported that they thought you were cooking meth? lol

For this thread post the most unlikely problems that you've had crop up because of home brewing and other posters will guess their source.

I'll start.

Because I home brew there is dog hair on one of my blankets. I don't own a dog. Why is their dog hair on my blanket?

What does your blanket have to do with home brewing?

You brought a keg somewhere and had it wrapped in the blanket to keep it cold. That somewhere had a dog. I have brought kegs places, wrapped in a comforter. I haven't brought home dog hair, but I have brought home dirt and pine needles on the comforter.

I'll start.

Wife was sick of your ****, brewing and druck all the time, so you've been spending the nights in neighbors dog house.

Hmm... trying to figure out WHY homebrewing would be the CAUSE of and not simply concurrent with dog hair on a blanket.

Something to do with rouge dogs coming to sniff a BK or eat some spent grain?

Recipe has some combination of "Dog" and "Hair" in the name. Blanket was used to wrap the fermenting carboy that exploded/blew off.

Since SWMBO won't let you use one of "her" blankets, you got blankets from the thrift store.

You brought a keg somewhere and had it wrapped in the blanket to keep it cold. That somewhere had a dog. I have brought kegs places, wrapped in a comforter. I haven't brought home dog hair, but I have brought home dirt and pine needles on the comforter.

Close enough. I bought a mash tun from a guy that had a dog and some dog hair was stuck in the insulation. I then wrapped the mash tun with a blanket to help insulate it during the mash and thus dog hair.

Let's keep this going, contribute your own mysterious mishap if you can.

I volunteer as tribute! What happened here?
IMG_6475.jpg

I volunteer as tribute! What happened here?
IMG_6475.jpg

Looks like a wine thief conspicuously in the middle of the crime scene. And a hydrometer jar, but no hydro in it, which means it was in play. In front a keezer, not a fermentation fridge. Which means you were testing the gravity of a carbonated beer for some reason. Or, you ferment in cornies in that fridge. Blast pattern seems to be on sides and front of keezer.

Probably you ferment in cornies (that little 3g) and forgot to open the pressure relief valve during fermentation, thus the great pressure when you went to check your beer. You took the cornie out of the fridge and put it on the floor there to make your job easier. You opened the bale on the cornie and it sploded. You dropped the wine thief and grabbed your camera like the superb HBT member that you are.

Or, same story but the cornie toppled from the top of the keezer due to unexpected activity from fruit bats that have inhabited your garage.

Close enough. I bought a mash tun from a guy that had a dog and some dog hair was stuck in the insulation. I then wrapped the mash tun with a blanket to help insulate it during the mash and thus dog hair.

What was the mishap?

Looks like a wine thief conspicuously in the middle of the crime scene. And a hydrometer jar, but no hydro in it, which means it was in play. In front a keezer, not a fermentation fridge. Which means you were testing the gravity of a carbonated beer for some reason. Or, you ferment in cornies in that fridge. Blast pattern seems to be on sides and front of keezer.

Probably you ferment in cornies (that little 3g) and forgot to open the pressure relief valve during fermentation, thus the great pressure when you went to check your beer. You took the cornie out of the fridge and put it on the floor there to make your job easier. You opened the bale on the cornie and it sploded. You dropped the wine thief and grabbed your camera like the superb HBT member that you are.

Or, same story but the cornie toppled from the top of the keezer due to unexpected activity from fruit bats that have inhabited your garage.

Great job detective! Beer was fermented in a 5 gallon corny. After a couple of weeks I closed it completely to start cold crashing. Unaware of how much carbonation and pressure it developed during the one week cold crash, I decided to take a hydro sample. I depressurized the keg, opened the lid and the next thing I know I had an indoor beer fountain. Fumbled to get the lid back on which created a spray of beer all over the keezer and room because of the intense pressure, like opening a 2L bottle of soda. Finally decided to carry the keg outside onto the porch where it settled down, a gallon of beer lighter. Lesson learned!
IMG_6477.jpg

A couple weeks ago was my brothers wedding. I brought two homebrew kegs and two commercial kegs were brought by two others. I have an outdoor bar with 4 taps and while I was setting it up, the day before, I managed to give myself a shower with my IPA while I was fixing an issue.

What was my problem and what did I do wrong while fixing it?

Your poppet or dip tube was clogged. You took it apart and forgot to put the poppet back in, then connected gas and shot beer everywhere?

Close enough! I forgot to purge CO2 when I took off the post so I had a geyser! It kept getting clogged so I pulled the dip tube and cut off the end. Problem solved, after a healthy beer shower to make me smell like a complete drunk! I probably lost close to half a gallon.

You guys should get this no problem., I was standing outside my old kegerator. With the doors closed. I sprayed myself in the face with beer. No easy feat. I'm 6'2.

You guys should get this no problem., I was standing outside my old kegerator. With the doors closed. I sprayed myself in the face with beer. No easy feat. I'm 6'2.

You opened the door of the kegerator and the tubing got caught on something, disconnected from the tap, and sprayed on you. That would be a big big mess if that's what happened.

No mystery in this video, but it's fun to try to spot all the bad brewing ideas. I think I could find 5 mistakes / bad practices here. For example, why did I have an airlock on my starter flask? Derp.

Sorry if you've already seen this; I've posted it here before, but this thread seemed like a good place for it again.

Last edited:

I'll start.

What was the mishap?

This was my thought also!!! I am terribly disappointed. I expected carnage somewhere in this story...

Keep moving - nothing to see here!!!

You opened the door of the kegerator and the tubing got caught on something, disconnected from the tap, and sprayed on you. That would be a big big mess if that's what happened.

Nope.. Door stayed closed I was getting ready to pour a beer, I
Here's the hunt: Just tapped the keg.

Back