Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to home brewing. Did it a couple of times from Kits in the States . Is there anyone on the Lake Atitlan that is also brewing that I can visit to help get me started here. Some of this info seems a little overwhelming currently. I am just learning Spanish so its hard to communicate currently for products.

Hi guys, I'll be in Belize for the whole week, so I won't be able to join you... But if you want to go to L'Apero you're welcome! Although it's normally closed between 3pm and 6pm...

Enjoy Belize. I used to live there and work in the sailing charter industry. Where in Belize?

Sorry, I just saw the invitation for today... guess it didn't happened.... i`ll try to set up an alarm for whenever someone writes her...

have a great day.... just finished a small experiment, a vanilla+cinnamon+vodka pale ale.... let´s wait and see the result...

have a great night

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie to home brewing. Did it a couple of times from Kits in the States . Is there anyone on the Lake Atitlan that is also brewing that I can visit to help get me started here. Some of this info seems a little overwhelming currently. I am just learning Spanish so its hard to communicate currently for products.

Angela, welcome aboard!

Don't think any of our group is near Lake Atitlan, but there are a few in the City.

Limited brewing ingredients available in Guate. Look at the messages posted under our group here named "Cerveceros de CA4" for a write up by PacayaforHops that describes what you can find local. Otherwise easiest to import. Least cost for importing is probably TransCargo or similar surface (ship) transport.

It's with great joy and hopes that I announce the upcoming "Red Star Bar" where yours truly will be working as head brewer to bring you, and every one interested, a bit of variety against the dull backdrop that is the "Beer on Tap scene" in Guatemala:

https://www.facebook.com/RedStarGuate

for those of you without a facebook account, it'll be at 5a. Ave, 9-31 Z1.

I'll let you know when it opens up, which shouldn't be more than a few weeks out.

Available on opening day:
Light pale ale; 4.3% ABV, 18 IBU, About 8 SRM. Don't want to scare the locals away...

Congrats! that is awesome! just liked the page.

i brewed a saison in early may, and added jamaica to a gallon of it. There is a hint of tartness, champagne like. but it goes well with the saison style, and the color is awesome.
Next time i will put more jamaica in.

i used danstar belle-saison. dropped all the way to 1.002. i recommend it. and its dry yeast, so its easy

IMG_2569.jpg

Sounds very refreshing, is this still using ASEAL's DME?

yea, it was a partial mash with the DME in it to help convert any starches, i also included raw wheat in it, after i boiled it. sort of a cereal mash too. i seemed to have gotten about 5 points out of the wheat.
1 lb 2-row
3.5 lbs dme
1.5 lbs raw wheat
.5 lbs table sugar
4 oz caramunich

Nice.

Contrary to popular belief, unmalted grains still have diastatic power, I mashed raw wheat at college to compare it to my malt, 1 pound of each, no adjustment salts or pH buffering, 1.5 quarts/pound; Wayne brand 6-row malt came in at 27º Brix (1.115 SG, which according to a mash efficiency calculator comes to 123%, about the same as commercial 2-row).

Raw wheat came in at 23º Brix (1.097 SG, which according to the same calculator comes to 101%, about the same as belgian pils malt).

Neither was sparged.

that is good info. i will definately be adding raw wheat more often then. it is very cheap at the market.

Nice.

Contrary to popular belief, unmalted grains still have diastatic power, I mashed raw wheat at college to compare it to my malt, 1 pound of each, no adjustment salts or pH buffering, 1.5 quarts/pound; Wayne brand 6-row malt came in at 27º Brix (1.115 SG, which according to a mash efficiency calculator comes to 123%, about the same as commercial 2-row).

Raw wheat came in at 23º Brix (1.097 SG, which according to the same calculator comes to 101%, about the same as belgian pils malt).

Neither was sparged.

Congrats! that is awesome! just liked the page.

i brewed a saison in early may, and added jamaica to a gallon of it. There is a hint of tartness, champagne like. but it goes well with the saison style, and the color is awesome.
Next time i will put more jamaica in.

i used danstar belle-saison. dropped all the way to 1.002. i recommend it. and its dry yeast, so its easy

Sounds tasty.

I made a simple ale with jamaica a few years ago, it was a nice refreshing summer brew. It had a touch of tartness and a nice rosa color too.

1403320922881.jpg

It's probably about 2 weeks off, the bar is in, as is the shelving, tap and keezer; furniture is in, we're just missing a few things here and there, a bit more alcohol, a few more pieces of glassware, sound system, a bit of plumbing in the kitchen area.

The best thing is that the permits have already been acquired, so we can come out swinging once it's finished.

Here's a flyer with a typo:

10514652_248916765303210_550343170133802532_n.jpg

Ok, I know this is short notice, more so with the traffic this thread gets; but the bar is opening on Friday. It'll be a slow opening with mostly friends and family coming over, but all of the local homebrewing community is invited. Feel free to RSVP in this thread or the CA-4 group.

1908395_257700904424796_4366027317963775924_n_zpsfb3b9af6.jpg

A few people on this thread have mentioned malting. Considering the lack of any outlets for malted barley here in Guatemala, and considering that the vast majority of any grain bill in the majority of ales is malted barley, I decided to have a go at malting my own.

Pacayaforhops made an excellent post detailing different places for the acquisition of material for brewing – one of these was Cenma. I visited that place yesterday and its pretty impressive as bulk wholesale markets go and well worth a visit. I found the barley guys in section 15 – which will save you some shoe leather as its not a small place. I would recommend going by car, as its between Villa Nueva and the city, and wouldn't be fun to get to on a bus, although buses do go there. If you have lived in Guatemala for any length of time you will know of course that you need to haggle the price down from what they'll start you at.

In the end I bought a hundred weight (quintal) of barley just to get the best price I could, which was a full 70% cheaper than I can get it for here in the market in Antigua.

I've read a whole series of different articles on malting, but this Beer Smith post and these videos from a guy with the handle of tlgrimmy are the simplest and best explanations that I have come across. The tlgrimmy video is the first in a series of two, and when you watch the second one you will see he's built what he describes as an oast or kiln, and I would describe as a wooden food dehydrator. Either way I built my own one, and with my own limited woodworking skills and even more limited tool set, it was still relatively easy. Cheap plywoood and cheap wood in general is easy enough to come across in Guatemala, as are all the light fittings inside the box. I do have an advantage though; being a computer engineer I did have a computer fan to hand to put at the top of the box, and also had a twelve volt converter from an old phone at the office which I used to power it. That could be the tricky bit if you want to make one yourself, so that would require some research on your part. I would think that Intelaf would be the best place to pick up a computer fan or two.

I will happily provide more details on that, and more on the dimensions etc if anybody is interested.

One more thing, Pacayaforhops also told me where to get some hose-pipe for racking. Mangueras Jaguar can provide you with everything you want, and I got some reinforced PVC and silicon hose. In the Latin American tradition, that part of the city has a bunch of hose-pipe shops.

(I hope I'm posting in the appropriate place, this seems to be the general "Guate Brewing" thread, but please correct me if this is deemed "off-topic")

Last edited by a moderator:
This'd still be the right place to post this and I'm very interested in seeing your dehydrator design (I could share a couple of batch dehydrator design books if you're interested as well).

I'm working on a semi-automated design of my own (design stage for now, until I can get more $) for about 10 pounds at a time with mesh trays, very little separation between them, with a rather large fan (think car radiator fan) parallel to the trays; for optimized convective heat transfer. I've run some numbers and it should have moisture content down to about 15% (still a bit high) in about 4 hours, of course the prototype would still need tweaking and all.

Pretty close to this, now that I look at it:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivx0-kVnN6g[/ame]

I'm glad I could be of help regarding the hose.

Now that you mention a bigger fan - something just occurred to me. Somebody's laptop at work was getting hot, and we bought him a fan to put underneath his machine (budget considerations...). That fan would work well in this scenario, http://www.intelaf.com/precios_stock_detallado.asp?codigo=VENT120-MH-3406. You could hook that up to a usb charger type of adapter (its a USB connection) and job done.

I'll publish the specs on the one I built tomorrow. Cool bananas.

That's a nice idea on the Arduino - that way you could also possibly rig up a thermometer and a relay that to a dimmer switch to maintain a constant temperature as a colleague of mine suggested.

Personally - I went a bit more rough and ready/hammer and nails/plyboard and sweat in my design! But I have what I wanted which was way to dry my malt regardless of rainy season or whatever. I used 2"x2" for the shelving brackets as I had some to hand, but I might swap that out for something thinner so I can add a couple more shelves. In saying that though, doing 5lbs of malt at a time suits me right now, and this rig handles that no problem. The bigger fan is still a very good idea though, and I think I'll adapt this to accommodate one of those soon. Drying time currently its around 12/18 hrs and I know that could be improved.

The graphic below shows the box with the information on the specs:

dehydrator.jpg

Apparently "more $" came through and I'm looking into building a LPG powered tray fruit dehydrator (as a side project, come to think of it it should probably be my main project right behind finishing school) and have been looking for components online, found myself this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C97LY4I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Among other things... seems inexpensive for what it can do.

I've incorporated it into my design and will also need a computer power source, an electronic solenoid valve (for the LPG), an air moisture sensor, etc. to make it keep the air temperature around 70ºC, suck the "wet" air out once the relative humidity reaches about 70%. I'll still be using 2 (or more) radiator fans (what the computer power source is for), since it's pretty big; about 16 feet long by about 5 feet tall by about 4 feet deep. It should be a proper set and forget industrial tray dehydrator once it's put together.

Hope the dried fruit business pans out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another craft brewing place in Guate, in Antigua actually: Red White and Brew Pub. It's located above a plce called Tretto Caffé, so you have to enter this place and just go upstairs as the brew pub doesn't have any sign itself. It's very close from Café No Sé. The beers were really good and they have quite a lot of variety.

Yet another craft brewing place in Guate, in Antigua actually: Red White and Brew Pub. It's located above a plce called Tretto Caffé, so you have to enter this place and just go upstairs as the brew pub doesn't have any sign itself. It's very close from Café No Sé. The beers were really good and they have quite a lot of variety.

Thanks for the info!

Hi guys... I´ve been traveling for a while, but I´m back.... so what´s everyone been into this days??

I just made a Vanilla Porter, (delicious) and I´m brewing an Double IPA and an Apple Ale this weekend... we should get together sometime.... let me know when..

glad to be back!!! have a great week!!!

That's good to know, I'll have to swing around some time.

Hi guys... I´ve been traveling for a while, but I´m back.... so what´s everyone been into this days??

I just made a Vanilla Porter, (delicious) and I´m brewing an Double IPA and an Apple Ale this weekend... we should get together sometime.... let me know when..

glad to be back!!! have a great week!!!

Glad to see you're back, I made a dubbel yesterday (for myself), the bar hasn't been getting that many people, but I can't use my radio contacts until we get some stuff taken care of with "la SAT". Other than that, a few bits of equipment and ingredients should've been ordered over the weekend for the bar, those should help take the beer to another level, though we're trying to keep brews under 5% ABV.

what did you do with the "licencia ambiental" and "licencia sanitaria" regarding the production of beer over there.... had any issues??

a friend of mine has a small bar at antigua and wanted to sell couple of cases of my beer but they told him he could not do it, since he didn´t have any permit for production over there....

dubbel is great!!!!

were is the bar?? i might be able to drop by during the week... sorry I haven´t catch up with the rest of the posts...

what did you do with the "licencia ambiental" and "licencia sanitaria" regarding the production of beer over there.... had any issues??

a friend of mine has a small bar at antigua and wanted to sell couple of cases of my beer but they told him he could not do it, since he didn´t have any permit for production over there....

dubbel is great!!!!

were is the bar?? i might be able to drop by during the week... sorry I haven´t catch up with the rest of the posts...

The legal stuff is being taken care of by the bar owner's lawyer, though the "licencia ambiental" and "sanitaria" should be the same process as for any place that prepares food to be consumed at that same place. You'd just need to send a letter with the brewery's specs to MINECO asking them to let you set it up.

If you want to sell prepackaged beer (made anywhere outside of the place it'll be consumed at) you'll need to get a "registro sanitario" for each kind that you produce or each kind of packaging you use for it, before you can sell it.

I'm guessing your friend wanted to cover his back in case the "ministerio de salud" came by for their "yearly" inspection and he had a few bottles of a registerless beer, he wouldn't need a permit if he's not producing in house (you would, and your beer would also need the "registro sanitario" so he can buy them and re-sell them).

The bar's at 5 Ave, 9-31 Z1, it's called Red Star, there's a facebook profile link a page or two back. It's open thursday through saturday 6PM-1AM

Hi guys. Im new to the forum. I just moved back from san francisco to guatemala and want to continue breewing. Any recomendations of where to get some supplies?

Hi guys. Im new to the forum. I just moved back from san francisco to guatemala and want to continue breewing. Any recomendations of where to get some supplies?

Bienvenidos abordo!

Pacaya has put together some good notes in the link he posted. But most supplies still have to be imported. Transcargo is a good option for shipping.

Don't know whether it's good or bad news (certainly good news for me), but we're currently out of craft beer at Red Star Bar, both ran out about 15 minutes apart yesternight, 5 weeks for 10 gallons of craft beer isn't that bad considering the local market (better than the other place that sold my beer a few years ago, I'll tell you that much; took about 2 months to sell 5 gallons and I had to buy about 1 of it myself).

Made an IPA today, should be done in about 3 weeks and we'll make an Irish stout on wednesday, which should be done at about the same time as the IPA. Today was the day I've used the most hops in a single 5 gallon batch of beer ever, 4 ounces.

In Antigua you can also find a place called Hops & Tales Pub. It's very relaxed and has craft beer from El Salvador and Guatemala, some on tap and some in bottles. The owners mentioned that they're trying to get more and more craft beer from Central America. The wings are really good, too! It's on 3rd Calle Oriente between 1st and 2nd Ave, next to Nifu Nifa.

Awesome! Keep it up
here is my latest IPA - I used 4 oz as well, plus 1 oz in the dry hop. Summit, Centennial, Cascade and Galaxy

Don't know whether it's good or bad news (certainly good news for me), but we're currently out of craft beer at Red Star Bar, both ran out about 15 minutes apart yesternight, 5 weeks for 10 gallons of craft beer isn't that bad considering the local market (better than the other place that sold my beer a few years ago, I'll tell you that much; took about 2 months to sell 5 gallons and I had to buy about 1 of it myself).

Made an IPA today, should be done in about 3 weeks and we'll make an Irish stout on wednesday, which should be done at about the same time as the IPA. Today was the day I've used the most hops in a single 5 gallon batch of beer ever, 4 ounces.

IMG_2714.jpg

In Antigua you can also find a place called Hops & Tales Pub. It's very relaxed and has craft beer from El Salvador and Guatemala, some on tap and some in bottles. The owners mentioned that they're trying to get more and more craft beer from Central America. The wings are really good, too! It's on 3rd Calle Oriente between 1st and 2nd Ave, next to Nifu Nifa.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to swing by some day.

Awesome! Keep it up
here is my latest IPA - I used 4 oz as well, plus 1 oz in the dry hop. Summit, Centennial, Cascade and Galaxy

Looks good, I'll let you know how the bar's turns out. We also made an oatmeal stout today. Both should be done in about 2 1/2 weeks.

Hola Chapins!

Currently in Medellin, Colombia. Visited both Bogota Beer Company (BBC) and Medellin Beer Factory today. Both make some good brews. BBC makes an excellent Porter.

Shoud be passing thru Guate City early November and plan to drop by Red Star.

Red Star will be changing hands in the near future, the current owners don't have enough time to put into to the bar while also handling another business back stateside.

You are all still welcome to come by, if anything else changes you'll be the first to know. Available on tap as of this Saturday:

Dry Irish stout and American IPA.

How have sales of craft brew been going?

The first 2 kegs were gone in 5 weeks, the next 2 would've been ready by this past friday but the takeover soured and the bar is closing indefinitely for the time being. I just got my stuff back today, along with roughly 8 gallons of beer the bar won't be selling (only my time was invested in them so it's no great loss for me, if anything I feel like I'm taking advantage of the current bar owners).

Hopefully they can get the bar sold soon so we can get the beer flowing again, not holding my breath though.

Back