Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If I click on this link from the mobile app it goes to the wrong place, but using a browser works fine.

Given the SAT scandal in Guate, I wonder how that will effect importation? TransCargo has always been a great deal because its a flat rate with no additional fees for Customs etc, but always seemed a bit suspect to me.

Hi guys, I thought I would post to say hello. I'm still here out at the lake. I just bottled my 4th batch of "Patzaquel IPA". I started in earnest earlier in the year and have been selling about half of it. One of the hostels in San Marcos has lots of Brooklyn IPA bottles looking for a good home, that I am happy to provide. It is interesting to test beer on an international community, it has mostly been English, Aussies, Germans and Americans who have been asking for it. Getting some good feedback. Has anyone managed to get hold of bottle caps here in Guate? It is the one last thing I need a stable supply of.

If I click on this link from the mobile app it goes to the wrong place, but using a browser works fine.

Given the SAT scandal in Guate, I wonder how that will effect importation? TransCargo has always been a great deal because its a flat rate with no additional fees for Customs etc, but always seemed a bit suspect to me.

Not sure about transcargo, but CPX has been operating as usual, I've had about 8 items brought in the last 6 weeks without issue.

Hi guys, I thought I would post to say hello. I'm still here out at the lake. I just bottled my 4th batch of "Patzaquel IPA". I started in earnest earlier in the year and have been selling about half of it. One of the hostels in San Marcos has lots of Brooklyn IPA bottles looking for a good home, that I am happy to provide. It is interesting to test beer on an international community, it has mostly been English, Aussies, Germans and Americans who have been asking for it. Getting some good feedback. Has anyone managed to get hold of bottle caps here in Guate? It is the one last thing I need a stable supply of.

Good to hear you're doing well. Unfortunately, I don't know of any crown cap distributors, they're all usually distributing plastic threaded caps for clear glass bottles.

Not sure about transcargo, but CPX has been operating as usual, I've had about 8 items brought in the last 6 weeks without issue.

CPX has always been very by the book so I would not expect them to have an issue unless the shake up effected SAT operationally.

TransCargo's arrangement always seem a bit too good, but don't know for sure.

Bienvenidos!

No regular meetings, but occassional get togethers. Best way is to coordinate a gathering here on the forum.

Where in Guate are you?

I live outside of Antigua but travel to the City pretty regularly. I have no homebrewed beer to share right now but I do have a mead that I cooked up.

I'm in Panama now, but post a date when you will be in GC and maybe you can put something together with the other guys.

Hey everyone any updates on anything new? I just discovered this thread and saw some interesting stuff but I can't find any info on Ixbalanque Brewery and the Red Star FB page is dead. I did hear about Red White and Brew in Antigua, definitely visiting soon. I've been to Birra Bier (solid selection) but haven't found much else.

I have some interesting beers coming up, mostly my own recipes:

Rosa de Jamaica/orange saison (inspired by Convivial Suarez from Hill Farmstead)
+ the base saison with no adjuncts
Amarillo dry-hopped gose
Mandarina Bavaria dry-hopped gose
Citra session IPA
Pale Amarillo wheat ale
Galaxy IPA (based on Trillium Congress Street)
Pumpkin/vanilla stout

Cheers!

JCastle, welcome aboard!

Been slow with the Guate Group. Maybe some of you new guys here could organize a get together to liven it up a bit?

I brewed a Rosa Jamiaca infused ale a few years ago. Turned put pretty well.

View attachment 1445389564479.jpg

Saw that beer, great color! Mine looks similar from what I recall, haven't brewed it in years but bringing it back due to popular demand. Only thing I changed this time around is the yeast but I have high hopes for this new blend.

It's been a while... sorry for the lack of updates on my part, Red star was sold off to a local who changed the name to La Ermita (FB page still available and continuously updated if you look for it as "La Ermita"); we had a good run, but my studies picked up around august and I've been unable to deliver beer for months, so we parted ways a couple of months ago. They still do craft beer (whenever they can get their hands on some), just not mine.

On the up side, I should be done with school in May next year and I might also be a published author in a scientific journal by then as well: a comparative study of a traditional lager yeast and a California lager yeast, some good ideas for the beer industry are implied but not outright stated in it, since that'd be outside the study's scope.

Oh, and I've also taken up craft spirits, currently have a bottle of blended brandy (honey and malt), a bottle of vanilla rum, a bottle of single malt white dog waiting for wood to age into single malt whisky and a wee smidgen (about 4 oz) of my first single malt whisky. Drank a whole bottle of the blended brandy about a month ago (had enough spirits from the honey and tails from my 2nd single malt for 2 bottles of 40% ABV blended brandy) in one sitting and I woke up hangover free next day (In case you're interested I'm focused on clean spirits, not efficiency, so I'm only getting about 2 bottles from every 5 gallons of wash, but it's top quality stuff; very little higher alcohols and other impurities, very clean tasting but not without character, which they get mostly from the wood in my case).

But I digress, as you can tell from my long winded rambling, I'm pretty excited about my craft spirits, maybe even a bit more than I am about beer (flame suit... ON).

Welcome back!

Craft Spirits, Beer...its all good.

We are planning to pass thru Guate City about mid-January. Will update with specifics as plans firm up. Maybe we could plan a group get together then?

Looking forward to getting back to the Rio and the Smoked Braggot that's been conditioning there for about year now!

My Friend is starting to try to brew with a kit from the US for the first time but she needs help. Anyone in the area? She is in Jucanya. She is Jennifer Barahona Salsa classes on facebook if anyone can help her. My Spanish sucks and I am in Florida and my experience is minimal with only a few brews with kits. Thanks!!!

Ask her to post here. Spanish will be understood on this thread, but not on the rest of HBT.

Im now in Panama, but Pacayahops is in Guate City.

Hi guys, how are things brewing? Did any of you make it to the Craft Beer Event in Antigua last weekend? I was out of town :( Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys about bringing malt into Guate. I've seen CPX and Transcargo mentioned. Sorry for the ignorance but how does that work? I mean if I wanted a a 50 lb sack of malt delivered how much would that cost me in terms of shipment, fees, etc? Have any of you done that? Maybe we could all go in on something?
I would really appreciate your feed back. My production is severely limited! It would be nice to arrange a meeting or something. Looking forward to hearing from you guys, thank in advance!

For a 50lb sack of malt, I would use TransCargo, would be wildly expensive via CPX. They ship ocean freight, which will take longer, but is radically cheaper than the shared air freight normally used by CPX. TransCargo also charges a flat rate per dimensionsal weight, which also makes it much cheaper.

CPX is good for small lightweight things. Excellent customer service, but you also pay the full monty on all possible fees.

With either one, you are given a ship to address in Miami and they handle it from there.

.... I've seen CPX and Transcargo mentioned. Sorry for the ignorance but how does that work? I mean if I wanted a a 50 lb sack of malt delivered how much would that cost me in terms of shipment, fees, etc? Have any of you done that? Maybe we could all go in on something?

Ive used both a lot. CPX is very by the book, so certain things may get held up in the process and you will pay every single applicable fee. TransCargo, one flat rate, and it breezes right thru with no other fees or hassles.

We did a group buy a while back, which I put together and used TransCargo.

Who is brewing in Guatemala? I have visiting for the next 10 days and would love to shoot the **** and perhaps look at brewing set ups.

Welcome aboard MV, Im in Panama now, but was back in Guate in June to sample some mead & braggot I left conditioning...yum.

Where in Guate are you?

I am in Guatemala city. It is good to see people out here are taking to craft and homebrew as well. Was hoping to check out some operations, maybe learn a few things.

I'm not brewing now since I already have 2 beers on tap and 4 in fermentation (Mosaic IPA and Citra Wheat on tap, maracuya gose, and 3 variations of brett saison).

What type of systems are you guys brewing on? Where are the best spots relatively near the city to go have good beer.. or Antigua even.

What type of systems are you guys brewing on? Where are the best spots relatively near the city to go have good beer.. or Antigua even.

My set up

IMG_20151202_112226.jpg

2015-08-25 20.49.14.jpg

2015-09-09 16.12.25.jpg

2015-09-09 16.11.06.jpg

IMG_20150209_083905.jpg

IMG_20141007_140716.jpg

Nice setup Curtis! Mine is much simpler, I have a Rubbermaid cooler for the HLT, and two 10 gallon stainless for the mash and boil. Two 5 gallon corny kegs for clean beers (wheat, stout, IPA, etc) and the rest goes into champagne bottles (saison, wild ale, berliners, biere de garde, anything funky).

@mvmedrano The best place for beer in the city is by far Birra Bier. They even had Westvleteren XII a few weeks ago. Not my favorite beer but nice to try due to the history. There's also a spot called Principe Gris that is nice. In Antigua I've only tried Antigua Brewing Company.

Yeah, only a few options in Guate, the craft brew thing has yet to take off in Guate.

Sounds like opportunity gentlemen!

I think it is. There are plenty of afluent Guatemalans who have had plenty of exposure to the USA craft brew scene. Also lots of expats. I think a well funded brew pub in Z10 would do well. There have been a few under funded attempts that failed.

Im acquainted with the brew master of Rana Dorada here in Panama. The same group developed Bogota Beer Company in Colombia which now has something like 32 locations! Will try to remember to discuss Guatemala with him next time Im there.

Nice to see the thread's still going, even if the CA-4 group got closed for lack of activity. There's this place called underground brewpub in Antigua that has the largest variety of local craft brews I've seen, they're on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UnderGround-Brew-Pub-340889542750816/?fref=ts

Sexta Avenida Norte # 6, for thouse of you who don't do facebook. Here's a beer menu for this week
13686762_595589910614110_54935941820010284_n.jpg

Of course, some of these are not the actual style names, but you get the picture. I'm hoping to be on tap there in the near future as well.

So I realize this post is very old, but as a 1/2 Guatemalan family, and with a place in Santiago Atitlan, I thought its about time I try to make a clone of either Gallo, Moza or Cabro? I know Gallo isn't anything special, but I'm putting together a guate-themed party here in my US house in the spring and would like some fresh guate beer. Any direction/advice for clone recipes?

Gracias

Oh no...a Gallo clone! 😃

Industrial light beers can be very hard to duplicate home brewing. See thread here on cloning Miller Lite. Very challenging.

Something like Moza or Moza Gold would be easier to clone. Basically a bock beer.

Maybe buy some Gallo (I think its available in the USA?) and clone Moza.

You could start with a Modelo Negra clone recipe and tweak it a bit.

It's actually hard to find gallo/famosa anywhere near where I live in the middle of Wisconsin, I'd have to go to Milwaukee or Chicago. However I think I will take your advice and do the modelo, tweaking a little bit to turn out like a Moza ( let's be honest, my guests would really not know the difference) I finally did find a recipe for Gallo however it was an extract recipe and I would feel guilty like I'm cheating on my wife if I brew an extract beer... Haven't brewed extract in almost 20 years.

In all honesty though as I think it aloud I think I would be better off making a Guatemala inspired beer versus a Guatemala beer.

In all honesty though as I think it aloud I think I would be better off making a Guatemala inspired beer versus a Guatemala beer.

I brewed a Guatemala inspired ale a few years back infused with Rosa Jamica. Turned out quite nice.

Back