Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just roasted and smoked two lbs of 2 Row for the Coco Ahumado Porter recipe I'm creating.

Roasted as an Amber Malt (350F for 30 min) then smoked for 1 hour over coconut husks and nuts. Smoking temp was higher than planned (200F), but did not noticeably effect the color. Color is about right for an Amber and has a nice smoky/coco flavor.

I plan to add some shredded roasted coconut in secondary...I can almost taste it!

Just roasted and smoked two lbs of 2 Row for the Coco Ahumado Porter recipe I'm creating.

Roasted as an Amber Malt (350F for 30 min) then smoked for 1 hour over coconut husks and nuts. Smoking temp was higher than planned (200F), but did not noticeably effect the color. Color is about right for an Amber and has a nice smoky/coco flavor.

I plan to add some shredded roasted coconut in secondary...I can almost taste it!

Wow that sounds damn awesome! keep us posted.

I received the DME from Aseal and brewed a basic pale ale yesterday to see what were working with.
4 gallons
6 lbs DME, no steeping grains
.75 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz FF @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5

it looks way lighter than the DC LME. id say 5-6 SRM.
OG clocked in at 1.061

anyone have issues with using bottled water(fuente pura) in their darker beers? my stout has a sour/acidic taste on the backend. this is my 2nd stout ive made down here and they both have that twang.
the additions of coffee and chocolate hide it a bit, but its still there.
i am wondering if it is a water/ph issue and would using some well water help?

No, I usually use bottled water for all my brewing needs, sour tastes could be 2 things: wild bugs or tannins, considering you used higher kilned malts; the later is more likely.

Can you please describe the mashing/sparging process for the stout? I'll see if there's any chance tannins might have come out during either one.

Feliz Navidad y'all! I'll be celebrating tonight with my Whiskely stout & robust vanilla porter. I hope you folks down there will have good beers & good times!

Feliz Navidad a Usted también! Disfrutala!

I'm originally from Mississippi, so I liked your "Feliz Navidad ya'll". May have to use that again soon with all the Texans down here on the Rio Dulce. ;-)

it was an extract brew so i only steeped the specialty grains.
8 gallon batch.
I steeped the following in 5 gallons of water for 20 minutes at 160
1 lb of chocolate malt
1/2 lb black patent
1/2 lb of roasted barley

then added 3.5 gallons of water, brought up to boil. added 1/2 the extract. followed my hop schedule of a 60 min, 15 and 5 min addition. added the other half of extract and brown sugar at 15 mins.

Feliz Navidad a Usted también! Disfrutala!

I'm originally from Mississippi, so I liked your "Feliz Navidad ya'll". May have to use that again soon with all the Texans down here on the Rio Dulce. ;-)
My family is from Corley,WV,so it's a familiar expression to me. Def fits!
8 gallon batch.
1 lb of chocolate malt
1/2 lb black patent
1/2 lb of roasted barley

then added 3.5 gallons of water, brought up to boil. added 1/2 the extract. followed my hop schedule of a 60 min, 15 and 5 min addition. added the other half of extract and brown sugar at 15 mins.
That's a lot of chocolate malt,black patent & roasted barley. I use less than 6oz of each in my porter & stout.

8 gallon batch.
1 lb of chocolate malt
1/2 lb black patent
1/2 lb of roasted barley

That's a lot of chocolate malt,black patent & roasted barley. I use less than 6oz of each in my porter & stout.

Yeah, that was a bit much on the dark malts/barley, probably extracted enough tannins to make it acidic (most tannins are precursors to gallic and caffeic acids). For future 8 gal batches, I'd recommend 1 lb darker caramel malt (80+L) for some color and less than 1 pound of dark malts/barley altogether. If you want more color, you can grind the malt/barley down to a powder or add molasses.

Yeah, that was a bit much on the dark malts/barley, probably extracted enough tannins to make it acidic (most tannins are precursors to gallic and caffeic acids). For future 8 gal batches, I'd recommend 1 lb darker caramel malt (80+L) for some color and less than 1 pound of dark malts/barley altogether. If you want more color, you can grind the malt/barley down to a powder or add molasses.

Now that I see the recipe, have to agree, lot of strong roasty stuff so maybe tannins.

What do tannins do over time? Any hope of them mellowing?

Unfortunately, they don't mellow out much, they're as oxidized as it gets. They can, however, be stripped with gelatin finings; though it takes a lot of finings to bring the taste down, or you can mask them with a bit of extract/sugar, they'll still be present though.

Feliz Navidad Y'all. ;-)

Bottling some samples for Christmas Dinner. Hope to have some left on my return trip to the City.

Brew menu attached.

ForumRunner_20131225_110648.jpg

I also hope you have some left, I'd be looking forward to them. Let me know when you'll be back in town; I'm out of commission starting the 30th through 01/02/14, but I'll be available afterwards until the 2nd week of january. Also hope we get more people to come over this time around.

Hope you've all had a merry Christmas & will have happy new year.

I think I will bottle a few samples and set them aside to make sure I have some.

My brewing season was way too short this year. Will have to work out more time on the Rio next year.

Just booked our flights today for Jan 29. Probably head to the City a day or two before. Any body up for a beer or 3 on the evening of the 28th?

OK. Just bottled 1 liter each of Pilsner, Schwarzbier, and Braggot. Tucked them away in the cooler where hopefully we will stay out of them until then.

Wow that sounds damn awesome! keep us posted.

I received the DME from Aseal and brewed a basic pale ale yesterday to see what were working with.
4 gallons
6 lbs DME, no steeping grains
.75 oz magnum @ 60
1 oz FF @ 15
1 oz Cascade @ 5

it looks way lighter than the DC LME. id say 5-6 SRM.
OG clocked in at 1.061

after 12 days the krausen dropped and not much airlock activity so I took a gravity reading. It came in at 1.032. :confused: so i gave it a swirl and will let the temps rise. fingers are crossed.
it tasted decent. its a bit hazy, had carbonation and a little off smell, which leads me to think fermentation is still going on.

pale ale.jpg

Cool. Bring a sample on the 28th if you can make it. Be interesting to see how the Aseal DME works out. Does 8PM at Cheers (Z10, Calle 13) work for you?

I just started another Braggot using home roasted/smoked grain and local honey. Will still be young by then, but probably tasty enough to sample (wort was yummy with a touch of roasty coconut taste). I think it will be sort of like a Schwarzbier Coconut Braggot (a bit roasty with coconut and honey flavors). Will leave the rest to condition while we are in Panama (till October).

Unfortunately I cannot make it. I am in the process of opening a hotel/restaurant so time and money to travel are at a minimum for me right now. I will keep updating on the Pale Ale. I may take a gravity reading again tomorrow or Monday.

Hi all! And Happy new year!

Sorry guys, I've been really absent from the discussion, mostly because I finally opened my restaurant, so I was really busy! I should be able to join you on the 28th though. Of course I would have proposed my place, but the 28th is tuesday, and the restaurant is only open for lunch on mondays and tuesdays...Too bad. But the good point is that I'll have more time time to share with you guys. I hope I'll be able to bring a couple of brews, cause my stock is seriously disminishing and I've not had time to brew lately! Anyway it will be nice to meet you guys!

Nsaubes , welcome back. Thought you might be busy w the resturant.

Post info on the resturant here. Maybe I can get by for luch.

Unfortunately I cannot make it. I am in the process of opening a hotel/restaurant so time and money to travel are at a minimum for me right now. I will keep updating on the Pale Ale. I may take a gravity reading again tomorrow or Monday.

Wow, another restaurateur! Where is it located? What kind of food?

Wow, another restaurateur! Where is it located? What kind of food?

It will be in Playa Santana, Tola, Nicaragua.
3 rooms to rent with a restaurant/bar.
depending on a continuing availability of brew ingredients, id like to sell some of my beer. and we'd do alot of bar type food - sandwiches, burgers, tacos and whatnot. my business partner is in charge of the menu moreso than me.

The Aseal malt test batch reading came in at 1.032 again after raising the temp and giving it a stir. i may repitch another s-05 or add some amylase enzyme.
any suggestions?
i have 49 more pounds of the stuff, so ill be pretty bummed if its not good for brewing.

Amylase isn't probably going to help, since the extract is already mashed before dehydrating; if anything, re-pitching a starter culture or using a more aggressive yeast strain is probably in order (make sure not to go over 1.04 on the starter if you go that way).

Just reorganized my storage cooler and found a bottle of Cervesa Rosa I had forgotten about. This was a basic light ale with Rosa Jamica. Well past its serve-by date, but not bad...a pleasant surprise.

Cerveza Rosa Clipboard01.jpg

OK, my schedule's in, I can make it on the 28th before 5:00 PM or after 9:00PM... or I can also make it on monday the 27th after 7:00PM, for a shameless gipsy cursed week...

Or, we could always come to you. What hours are you open in the evenings ? (Sorry, I don't have a FaceBook account).

12-3 PM mondays and tuesdays, I could also make it during that time frame in case you're interested.

I'm up for that, we could drop by for lunch and bring some sample brews. Maybe show up about 2:30, have a late lunch and Nsaubes could join us to sample axfew beers after closing time?

Nsaubes, would that work?

Will plan to be there by 2:30. Definately want to try the Pizza.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Home Brew mobile app

Back