Grunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin4

Reaction score
Seems we have threads for metal and punk.

Any other lovers of Grunge?

I love it. Been listening to the entire Harvey Danger Album over and over (Since 1997). Damn it's dirty.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A30NEdNNovE[/ame]

THis probably belongs on the bad parenting thread but I love Grunge and listen to it so much that my 5 year old daughter sings many Nirvana songs and wanted to play "smells like teen spirit" at her birthday party at school and we had to talk her out of it. She mocks me for liking the live unplugged album because there isn't enough drums and yelling.

THis probably belongs on the bad parenting thread but I love Grunge and listen to it so much that my 5 year old daughter sings many Nirvana songs and wanted to play "smells like teen spirit" at her birthday party at school and we had to talk her out of it. She mocks me for liking the live unplugged album because there isn't enough drums and yelling.

My kids know Nirvana well. I play full albums for the most part so they don't know the Pop, just the body of work. I find myself playing this over and over though.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv96yJYhk3M[/ame]

Bleach is an amazing album especially considering it's their first. It's crunchy in a way that set others down the path of over distortion as they attempted to emulate.

I like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. But the Grandfather of Grunge, Neil Young is my favorite.

I'll leave my feelings about Pearl Jam out of this thread :cross:

Mark Arm from Mudhoney is actually the one that unintentionally coined the term
"grunge". He talks about being sorry about it all the time.

Technically. Grunge = Punk rock, just from the pacific northwest. It was a silly term the media latched onto when the scene was exploding.

If you haven't heard Mudhoney, give them a listen, Specially the first EP and first few LPs. Proper dirty vibes.

Yes on Neil Young as he is hands down is my favorite guitar player ever in the history of all things.

My oldest stole all of my Nirvana t-shirts, and has actually purchased a few of her own. She was loading music on her phone last week from my hard drive and called me in the room. "Dad, which of these 35 Nirvana albums are the real ones? I thought they only had 4 studio albums..." Proud dad moment right there.

So yeah, here's my favorite grunge bands almost in order... Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Seaweed, Tad, Screaming Trees...I think that's it. Neil Young is so awesome it's kinda ridiculous. I've owned Live Rust since I was like 12.

I'll leave my feelings about Pearl Jam out of this thread :cross:

Mark Arm from Mudhoney is actually the one that unintentionally coined the term
"grunge". He talks about being sorry about it all the time.

Technically. Grunge = Punk rock, just from the pacific northwest. It was a silly term the media latched onto when the scene was exploding.

If you haven't heard Mudhoney, give them a listen, Specially the first EP and first few LPs. Proper dirty vibes.

Yes on Neil Young as he is hands down is my favorite guitar player ever in the history of all things.

I'll check out Mudhoney,

Neil Youngs guitar solo on "Down by the river" :rockin:

My oldest stole all of my Nirvana t-shirts, and has actually purchased a few of her own. She was loading music on her phone last week from my hard drive and called me in the room. "Dad, which of these 35 Nirvana albums are the real ones? I thought they only had 4 studio albums..." Proud dad moment right there.

So yeah, here's my favorite grunge bands almost in order... Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Seaweed, Tad, Screaming Trees...I think that's it. Neil Young is so awesome it's kinda ridiculous. I've owned Live Rust since I was like 12.

And Mudhoney forgot Mudhoney.

This, the tone on the guitars is just so dirty. One of their best IMO

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgsqwdLntnE[/ame]

Grunge is my favorite music style. I have seen Alice in chains and Jerry cantrell solo a number of times.I am huge fan of Chris Cornell and have seen him a number of times in audio slave, and Soundgarden, and solo. I still listen to nirvava often. First my kids, and now my grandkids, have all listened to it with me.

When my kids were little, and they were playing music, we would often yell, "hey, turn that **** up!" 😀

I grew up on grunge. Even before I understood the subject matter of the lyrics, I just loved the sound. Nirvana, Soundgarden and AIC still get fairly heavy rotation in my music collection. Temple of the Dog was a great album too.

Didn't most women of the time have a crush on Eddie Vedder? That's the way I remember it anyway.

I don't like grunge as the title goes. I don't think there's a lot of similarities between Pearl Jam and Sound Garden. It's like comparing Neil Young to Led Zeppelin.

That being said if I was to rank my favorite "grunge" bands I'd go.

1. Pearl Jam
2. Alice in Chains
3. Sound Garden
4. Nirvana
5. Screaming Trees

Though I think the coolest thing from the grunge era is the 2 super groups if you would, Temple of the Dog and Mad Season. So amazing.

I don't like grunge as the title goes. I don't think there's a lot of similarities between Pearl Jam and Sound Garden. It's like comparing Neil Young to Led Zeppelin.

1. Pearl Jam
2. Alice in Chains
3. Sound Garden
4. Nirvana
5. Screaming Trees

Though I think the coolest thing from the grunge era is the 2 super groups if you would, Temple of the Dog and Mad Season. So amazing.

They had the same drummer tho.

1. Pearl Jam
2. Alice in Chains
3. Sound Garden
4. Nirvana
5. Screaming Trees

Everyone in this thread, Perl Jam is NOT grunge.

Even they say it. Perl Jam is just old fashioned pop rock and roll. Nothing wrong with that, but grunge = punk rock and perl jam ≠ punk rock.

Just sayin.

Everyone in this thread, Perl Jam is NOT grunge.

Even they say it. Perl Jam is just old fashioned pop rock and roll. Nothing wrong with that, but grunge = punk rock and perl jam ≠ punk rock.

Just sayin.

What are you talking about? Pearl Jam is pop rock? Pearl Jam is way more punk than AIC or Soundgarden. Who are metal. Pearl Jam has way more grunge credentials than most bands as Ament and Gossard came from Green River to MLB and then Pearl Jam.

GRunge evolved from Seattle Alternative rock, which is why AIC and Soundgarden are roped into it. It really was heavily based on Sub Pop records. There's nothing that says Grunge = punk. Especially since everyone calls Neil Young the godfather of grunge and he's not punk. If you're gonna look for 2 genres to blend it's punk and metal. While it has lyrical tendencies of punk. It's way more melodic. Nirvana who's probably the closest thing to punk for a big grunge act, still isn't punk, Compare them to the Sex Pistols, they're slower, more melodic, and more. Other grunge acts like AIC and Soundgarden have barely any punk influence. If you listen to Junkhead, Would or Rooster, do you hear any punk in them? If you listen to Spoonman, Black Hole Sun, or Outshined do you hear any punk in them?

Lol pearl jam is pop rock.

The "Grunge" label identifies the bands that came out of that particular Seattle scene in the late 80's and early 90's, not necessarily the stile or genre of music. That's why bands that are musically very different, like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, are encased in that label (by the industry and the media, not themselves). In any case, don't worry about labels, enjoy the music!:D:rockin:

Don't forget the context that grunge came out of - right before Ten and Nevermind and Badmotorfinger showed up, the popular music was all Poison and Bon Jovi and etc. Pretty boys with makeup and lipstick singing about parties and babes and more parties. Grunge was guys who had something meaningful to say. They weren't ostentatious - they showed up on stage wearing the same t-shirt and jeans they wore all day (and it wasn't just guys - Mary Lou Lord, Courtney Love, L7, Babes in Toyland, Sleater-Kinney).

On a personal note, I was about 15 when this all started happening. I kinda felt like I was in the Generation X shadow. When this music came along - holy crap - something that is OURS! Not GenX's. That made it extra special for me.

Don't forget the context that grunge came out of - right before Ten and Nevermind and Badmotorfinger showed up, the popular music was all Poison and Bon Jovi and etc. Pretty boys with makeup and lipstick singing about parties and babes and more parties. Grunge was guys who had something meaningful to say. They weren't ostentatious - they showed up on stage wearing the same t-shirt and jeans they wore all day (and it wasn't just guys - Mary Lou Lord, Courtney Love, L7, Babes in Toyland, Sleater-Kinney).

On a personal note, I was about 15 when this all started happening. I kinda felt like I was in the Generation X shadow. When this music came along - holy crap - something that is OURS! Not GenX's. That made it extra special for me.

Thanks for bringing L7 and Sleater-Kinney into the convo. Great bands.

I used to be Dee's (from L7) roommate here in LA, cool chick.

What are you talking about? Pearl Jam is pop rock? Pearl Jam is way more punk than AIC or Soundgarden. Who are metal. Pearl Jam has way more grunge credentials than most bands as Ament and Gossard came from Green River to MLB and then Pearl Jam.

GRunge evolved from Seattle Alternative rock, which is why AIC and Soundgarden are roped into it. It really was heavily based on Sub Pop records. There's nothing that says Grunge = punk. Especially since everyone calls Neil Young the godfather of grunge and he's not punk. If you're gonna look for 2 genres to blend it's punk and metal. While it has lyrical tendencies of punk. It's way more melodic. Nirvana who's probably the closest thing to punk for a big grunge act, still isn't punk, Compare them to the Sex Pistols, they're slower, more melodic, and more. Other grunge acts like AIC and Soundgarden have barely any punk influence. If you listen to Junkhead, Would or Rooster, do you hear any punk in them? If you listen to Spoonman, Black Hole Sun, or Outshined do you hear any punk in them?

Lol pearl jam is pop rock.

Fine if by Grunge = anything but glam metal from Seattle, then fine include Pearl Jam, I will say I have an almost irrational hatred of them so my opinion means literally **** for nothing.

Good point on Green River (Mark Arm and Steve Turner would later form Mudhoney, and those other guys would form Pearl Jam) But they were pretty much emulating that glam rock thing with just a bit of a Seattle twist.

Fine if by Grunge = anything but glam metal from Seattle, then fine include Pearl Jam, I will say I have an almost irrational hatred of them so my opinion means literally **** for nothing.

Good point on Green River (Mark Arm and Steve Turner would later form Mudhoney, and those other guys would form Pearl Jam) But they were pretty much emulating that glam rock thing with just a bit of a Seattle twist.

Green River is emulating glam rock? THat's new. THey were more punk than Nirvana.

I already said I have issues with the grunge title, but to say Pearl Jam is pop rock is just maddeningly wrong. The only popish influence that any of the members have cited is McCready is heavily influenced by KISS. Vedder is heavily influenced by punk, the Who, SPringsteen, etc.

Why do you hate Pearl Jam? @Yooper please don't ban beskone. They don't know what they are saying. They are just drunk. I promise.

I was lucky enough to move to Seattle a few weeks before Smells like teen spirit broke. I was 22 and working in a bar in pioneer square around the corner from the OK Hotel. I got to see lots of grunge. Places like RCKNDY and the Off Ramp were regular hang outs. Jason Finn from PUSA was the bartender at the Comet Tavern at the time.

I'm glad Tad got a mention but don't forget Love Battery, Gruntruck, and Willard.

What do you mean you don't like Kanye? You don't like his music, or you don't like him and as a consequence you don't like his music?

The man is a voice of a generation.

Kanye West is God's vessel. Kanye West is the Kanye Best. Kanye West is the most impactful artist of our generation. Kanye West is Shakespeare incarnate. Kanye West is not a fan of books.

I know these things because he told me so.

Kanye West told me that too.

You're heartless.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0tTeuUVhU[/ame]

Really though, great song.

I ignore popular culture as much as possible so I can enjoy the art.

That's what art is to me. A personal interpretation of the world around you. My life is art. I refuse to let the opportunity to enjoy things pass me by because of the jerks who make it.

Still pissed that I missed a free show at a tiny little basement theater called The Unicorn. Free. Pearl Jam and Soundgarden, before Ten and Badmotorfinger were really well known around here.

Decades later, I got a job in an office building with a restaurant in the ground floor. Chatting with the owner one day, I learned that he was the guy who ran The Unicorn and he pointed out some of the pictures he had from that show.

Why do you hate Pearl Jam? @Yooper please don't ban beskone. They don't know what they are saying. They are just drunk. I promise.

Like I said it's almost irrational. I just do not like them, Eddie Vedders voice is like running a cheese grater over my junk. Dunno why, but thats just me.

I still don't agree that Perl Jam has even a grain of punk rock in them. Rock and Roll, fine, folk rock, indie? maybe.

But that's why opinions are opinions and what I say has little to no meaning on how anyone else interprets things.

The rest of the bands in this thread though I'm all in for. Just that one I can't stand, probably because I'm a weirdo :tank:

Like I said it's almost irrational. I just do not like them, Eddie Vedders voice is like running a cheese grater over my junk. Dunno why, but thats just me.

Not at all.

Oh wait...you mean about Vedder? Yeah that is just you.

Tad.
Melvins.
Tool.
Mentors.
in my opinion, are grunge. im not sure what soundgarden is. ive liked them since they released ultramega. beyond the wheel is one of the best songs they made. anyway, saying pearl jam and soundgarden are both "grunge" seems like a stretch. i dont agree with the "media" on that one.

*thats right! i said Tool! listen to undertow.

I still don't agree that Perl Jam has even a grain of punk rock in them. Rock and Roll, fine, folk rock, indie? maybe.
:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCABp6Wk66I[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NeXA6yBwkY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG-G7pKD5uM[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn2hyf2fsIc[/ame]

While true they're more melodic and musically challenging than punk, same is true of all grunge acts.

Back