growing hops in iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophead44

Reaction score
Anyone live in Iowa and growing hops? Im going to grow my own these year. I've done some research and it looks like cascade is about the best for hot humid Iowa summers.

I'm also growing my own here in the wild weather state. Cascade and also going to try Willamette as well. When are you going to put them in? i was thinking After Easter would most likely be ok, just watch for frost and cover if necessary.

I was just worried about hot dry weather. Its not even April and its getting over 70 degrees. I think I'll try cascade too, probably order them this weekend and plant them when they get here. I's likes me some cascades.

Cascade hops are very hardy and a good choice. First year, water at least every other day (don't drown them). Second year on they do not require daily or every other day watering. Keep an eye on them and if they start drooping, water them.

I live right across the river in the quad cities and just planted cascade, cenntennials and willamette.

Back