Group Buy in Chicago #7

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was picking up splits for recipe lab use and helping people out at the same time. If we switch to half sacks or single source malts I will manage. In reality I ordered about 1/3 what I should have since I only have enough grain for 10-15 brew sessions and I'm brewing 3x/week starting this weekend.

I support any of the ideas on limiting the splits. This was my first time doing any splits and it was because the database made it so easy (similar to the pile of boxes that blocked my front door a few days after I got Amazon Prime).

besides SathingtonWilloby and bssoap74 (who already stopped by) who else is supposed to be showing up today?

I'll be sending the refunds later on today to those that are owed refunds.

There are still 4 people that need to pick up. One is coming by this afternoon and the other three on Saturday. There were a few mispicks but not too bad considering the amount of splits. We need to discuss splits in more detail prior to the next buy which will probably be in June or July. Maybe we can meet next week and I can deliver your table, Victory malt and bung to you.

Wow that is pretty darn good considering 6000lbs of splits. I have a few takeway comments from the splits as well to share for thought/consideration.

I'm in no hurry...we'll see how the week goes; I am brewing a modified kolsch this weekend so I will pull some of that yeast for you prior to warming it up to pitch..I don't like to handle\expose it more than necessary.

Wow that is pretty darn good considering 6000lbs of splits. I have a few takeway comments from the splits as well to share for thought/consideration.

I'm in no hurry...we'll see how the week goes; I am brewing a modified kolsch this weekend so I will pull some of that yeast for you prior to warming it up to pitch..I don't like to handle\expose it more than necessary.

sounds good. maybe I can just drive to your place to drop off your table and pick up the yeast. Maybe grab a burger and a pint or two at F^3.

if you are owed a refund and have not received yet please PM me with your payment remit info for either paypal or chase. Thanks.

In any event... never, ever underestimate the ingenuity of homebrewers when facing an obstacle/disruption.

Agreed.

Thanks to you guys our group buys are significant. I like to think that our buys are appreciated by NCM. If anything, maybe they can direct the smaller Chicago area buyers to us so they can concentrate on their bigger clients... like us. :D

We will just have to wait for the next buy to see how we are affected.

Unless this new policy affects us I don't think we should we be concerned. $0.02

bmason1623 said:
Unless this new policy affects us I don't think we should we be concerned. $0.02

Do you think that removing the group name and running the buy through your business would avoid this price issue?

Do you think that removing the group name and running the buy through your business would avoid this price issue?

I have two businesses, one non-brewing supplies related and one related to importing professional brewing equipment. The latter business would make the most sense in running group buys IF we had to go that route. The problem is that sales taxes would need to be charged if we went this route.

In all honesty, I'm not going to worry about it until our next buy in June or July. Maybe they would have changed their policy again by then. Or maybe our buys are so significant that it won't apply to us. We will find out soon enough. $0.02

Unless you have a TIN that identifies your business as a brewing business you will not be able to use your business for the buys (this is what NCM reps advised when I called).

Our buyer handled several buys aside from ours and we had significant volume. Make no mistake, this change will affect you too.

If you are able to buy through a local brewery, then you will be all set. Or if you can get another supplier that would be another option.

Unless you have a TIN that identifies your business as a brewing business you will not be able to use your business for the buys (this is what NCM reps advised when I called).

Our buyer handled several buys aside from ours and we had significant volume. Make no mistake, this change will affect you too.

If you are able to buy through a local brewery, then you will be all set. Or if you can get another supplier that would be another option.

Which warehouse was supplying you and what kind of volume were you bringing in?

Which warehouse was supplying you and what kind of volume were you bringing in?

we typically would do 3-4 pallets 3-4 times a year for syracuse. However we have several other locations that were doing similar amounts (all coordinated through teh same buyer). Our volume was very significant on our account with orders going out at once a month or so, multiple pallets.

we typically would do 3-4 pallets 3-4 times a year for syracuse. However we have several other locations that were doing similar amounts (all coordinated through teh same buyer). Our volume was very significant on our account with orders going out at once a month or so, multiple pallets.

Interesting. Thanks.

Interesting. Thanks.

No problem. It is unfortunate at best. Hopefully we can band together and come up with a solution. However I know for now as my supply runs out I will be brewing much less. I sure as hell will be avoiding briess products whenever possible.

I'm pretty sure they will sell to a business that is engaged in buying and reselling grain. If having a brewer's license is a requirement then how would NB and Midwest purchase grain?

I'm pretty sure they will sell to a business that is engaged in buying and reselling grain. If having a brewer's license is a requirement then how would NB and Midwest purchase grain?

If you are buying and reselling grain possibly. She told me "federally licensed brewing establishment". It is very possible that she mispoke. I agree that you would likely have a chance if the business has a TIN associated with brewing activities or sales. I think the point she was making is that the TIN# must be associated with a brewing, brewery type practice. Which would likely relate to a LHBS or maybe coop.

Big kudos to ArtimusBeerimus for the 2 bottles of RIS he gave us for transporting a couple bags of grain.. Trish and I definitely got the better end of the deal, this is far better than the FFF Zombie Dust alternative.

Very tasty, so tasty I'd love to have the recipe.

Aroma is nice roasty/chocolate/cherry.

Not much head as expected 1/8 to 1/4 on the pour which dissipates quickly, however retains plenty of carbonation on the palette all the way to the last sip. Nice and tasty, almost like chocolate covered cherries with hints of toasted carmel, plum, and the right spot on the tongue a nice hint of licorice.

Medium mouthfeel, slick as expected for a stout. Obvious high abv but not overpowering in the nose and finishes dry with very little maltiness, maybe a little lingering roasted marshmallow in a good way.

Color is black solid opaque black until down to last 1/2" in the glass, nice dark red/brown

Thank you very much and damn fine brew.
Dave

Dave,

You're obviously a very kind and generous man. ;)

I get plenty of reviews from the in-laws so it's great to get a third party tasting from a knowledgeable palate. I appreciate your feedback!

Hope to meet up with you again at the next group buy (call me an optimist),

Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back