Greetings from Tunkhannock, PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokyo

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of brewing my own beer for years, but could never pull the trigger. All of the sudden, my next door neighbor gets me this Mr Beer thing for Christmas. I mention this to a friend at work and he is basically giving me his entire set up because he doesn't have the time to do it any more (now making excellent turkey calls).

I just finished putting together the Mr Beer Canadian Draft, and hope that it comes out drinkable. I'll follow up one way or the other.

I look forward to enjoying my new found hobby, and from what I have seen here on a short look, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience I can draw on.

tokyo said:
I have been kicking around the idea of brewing my own beer for years, but could never pull the trigger. All of the sudden, my next door neighbor gets me this Mr Beer thing for Christmas. I mention this to a friend at work and he is basically giving me his entire set up because he doesn't have the time to do it any more (now making excellent turkey calls).

I just finished putting together the Mr Beer Canadian Draft, and hope that it comes out drinkable. I'll follow up one way or the other.

I look forward to enjoying my new found hobby, and from what I have seen here on a short look, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience I can draw on.
Welcome aboard to a great site. This board does offer a lot of info for the homebrewer. By the way I'm from central Pa, where the hell is Tunkhannock?

Welcome to the obsession. Remember it's harder to screw up beer than you think and patience is your best friend in the hobby... Well maybe second to HBT!

brewt00l said:
Yea...tucka whos a what? Ahh...Scranton-esque. Thanks google maps ;)

Howdy fellow PA brewer!
Doylestown, I'm going to be over your way on Feb 11 and 12 for MasterCam training. I think Sly Fox and Iron Hill brewery is close by.

Warrior said:
Doylestown, I'm going to be over your way on Feb 11 and 12 for MasterCam training. I think Sly Fox and Iron Hill brewery is close by.

All depends on your definition of close ;)

Victory, Sly Fox, Iron Hill, Rock Bottom, Flying Fish, Nodding Head, Triumph, Manayunk, Dock Street, Weyerbacher, ect are all within about 1 hrs drive.

While you're in town, hit the Mosquito for some excellent wings and a very good beer selection.

brewt00l said:
All depends on your definition of close ;)

Victory, Sly Fox, Iron Hill, Rock Bottom, Flying Fish, Nodding Head, Triumph, Manayunk, Dock Street, Weyerbacher, ect are all within about 1 hrs drive.

While you're in town, hit the Mosquito for some excellent wings and a very good beer selection.
Mosquito, where is that? I'll actually be staying in Horsham.

Warrior said:
Mosquito, where is that? I'll actually be staying in Horsham.

Right in Doylestown.

Horsham? I don't really know too many really good places round there...mostly run of the mill pizza joints, Chinese take out & chain stuff.

Course if you have a car available, lots of options not too far.

brewt00l said:
Right in Doylestown.

Horsham? I don't really know too many really good places round there...mostly run of the mill pizza joints, Chinese take out & chain stuff.

Course if you have a car available, lots of options not too far.
I'll be driving over to Sly Fox which is about a 45 min drive.

Warrior said:
I'll be driving over to Sly Fox which is about a 45 min drive.

everything is about a 45 min drive! :)

btw, Iron Hill in North Wales is prb the closest to Horsham and generally has a pretty solid line up

Thanks for the warm reception. I think most on you have figured out that Tunkhannock (ton can' ick) is in the Scranton area, for all you fans of "The Office".

Melana, I will take your words to heart, however, I am not too optimistic with the current mr beer project. I put it in the basement, where I discovered the temp has been in the neighborhood of 45-47 deg F.

My basic understanding is that the yeast will not die, just become dormant if it is too cool/cold. My only question is how long will the batch last before it becomes, for a lack of a better word, bad?

Back