Greetings from the Suck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden80

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've a long time lurker who finally decided I was LONG overdue to create an account and start posting. I am a Department of Defense employee who is currently 2 months into a 1 year deployment in Afghanistan with the Civilian Expeditionary Workforce. I served in the Marine Corps for 8 years, so this isn't my first deployment, but it's my first civilian deployment. I'm on a tiny base in Southern Helmand Province called TB Dwyer which consists of sand and more sand, so I all of my free time is devoted to reading and researching. I've been homebrewing for a few years now, but my primary interest in this forum is hop growing. With all my extra time and resources, I am working on building a hop farm when I get home from Afghanistan. I've grown hops for years, but never on an industrial level, so it is going to be a huge challenge, but I have over a year to prepare for the adventure that lies ahead. Happy to be here and hope to meet more like-minded individuals who love beer in the very near future. CHEERS!!!:mug:

Welcome! I'm growing two vines at home. They are on their second year, so I'm expecting a huge yield. MY Columbus is about 6ft, while my Willamette is about 8ft, and already touching the garage that I ran the line to.

I live in Mount Angel, OR, which is "in the thick of it" for hop growing. My town is literally surrounded by hop farms. Not implying it makes me an expert, I'm just saying I love it.

Cheers! :mug:

My time in Iraq led to my reading well over 50 books on brewing and distilling, which definitely helped me get a job as an assistant brewer when I ETS'd... Be safe over there

Where did you deploy in Iraq? I spent 7 months in Al Asad, Iraq back in 2004-2005 when I was active duty in the Marine Corps. This is my first tour in Afghanistan. I have already read 2 beer related books since I got here and I am working on "For the Love of Hops" now with 3-4 more in the queue. PLENTY of time to read as you know all too well.

For the person asking where I am going to start my farm, I am located in Central Georgia. I realize that Georgia is not the optimal zone for growing hops, but I'm planning to build a large greenhouse and try my hand at hydroponics. One of the issues I am currently working on with some of my free time over here is daylight length. I just completed an analysis on a photoperiod comparison between my location and Yakima, Washington with some surprising results. This deployment will allow me to put down a substantial down payment on the growing setup, which is something I always keep in the back of my mind when I'm thinking about how bad this place sucks! Thank you all for your responses.

Welcome. 12 yrs in Army myself, Ive been to AF on ISAF and CMRE missions, great way to age beers when you are gone 6,8, and 12 months.

That's funny you mention that, I brewed a lambic style sour the weekend before I deployed to age for a year while I'm out here.

I just brewed a Helles that's going to ferment and lager the two months I'm up at Bagram. If I fly over I'll wave.

Welcome, I was in TQ near Al ASAD back in 05-06, I didn't start brewing until later though. Got some hops in the back, I'm not sure what they're doing though since I haven't had a chance to trim the weeds and blackberries back there yet!

I just brewed a Helles that's going to ferment and lager the two months I'm up at Bagram. If I fly over I'll wave.

Our headquarters is up at BAF. I spent a few days up there on my way here. The weather is MUUUUUUUUUUCH nicer up there compared with here. There was actually quite a bit of snow left when I was there in March. I get here and it's 120+ almost daily... I flew from BAF to KAF and spent a week in KAF before coming down here.

Half of my unit went to TQ and the other went to Al Asad when I was there in 04-05. From what I hear, we got the better part of that deal. It was actually that same year that I got into craft beer when I discovered that I lived right up the street from Stone Brewing in Escondido. The rest is history...

I've been doing 60/60, 90/60 or 60/45 rotations for the last three years and overseas oilfield work before that. Definitely have to plan my brewing in advance.

I've been doing 60/60, 90/60 or 60/45 rotations for the last three years and overseas oilfield work before that. Definitely have to plan my brewing in advance.

Nice! That's a pretty sweet rotation schedule. I am stuck here for 365 days straight...

Wow, 12 years in the Marines and I just got out 7 months ago, didn't know I would run across a thread that brought me back to many places I have been before.

You guys talking about places I have been is still weird to me. Ive been to Al Asad (several times), Tq (several as well) and many other FOB's. Korean Village was my favorite. Rawah was alright, but Sal Sinjar was probably the worst as far as creature comforts. Haditha was so so. Water bottle "showers" sucked.

Stay safe out there and get back here to brew! I am starting up again after a 4-5 year hiatus. Recruiting duty was the worst.

Wow, 12 years in the Marines and I just got out 7 months ago, didn't know I would run across a thread that brought me back to many places I have been before.

You guys talking about places I have been is still weird to me. Ive been to Al Asad (several times), Tq (several as well) and many other FOB's. Korean Village was my favorite. Rawah was alright, but Sal Sinjar was probably the worst as far as creature comforts. Haditha was so so. Water bottle "showers" sucked.

Stay safe out there and get back here to brew! I am starting up again after a 4-5 year hiatus. Recruiting duty was the worst.

Semper Fi brother. 8 years in the Marine Corps here. I got out and landed a job working with the Marines at Kaneohe Bay for 4 years. Transferred to DLA at Robins AFB in Georgia, and volunteered for this 1 year deployment with the Civilian Expeditionary Workforce earlier this year. It's so weird being back in a uniform (especially an Army uniform which all DoD civilians have to wear here). I have been to quite a few ****ty locations. I'm at TB Dwyer now and it is probably the ****tiest so far. At least the money is MUCH better as a civilian. And being out here I have PLENTY of time to plan and save for my future plans, which is the hop farm.

Fellow vets and brewers. I like that.
Army vet working over twenty-seven years for the Army, MARFORSYSCOM, DOD, and Dept. of State ... UAV's, IT, telecom, and SATCOM. Miss it sometimes, but I like sleeping in my own bed more.
Things I don't miss - hajis, tents, springtime dust storms in Anbar Province, and General Order #1.

Brew on, may our cups never be empty.

Man...same here. I ran convoys all over Al Anbar from Al Asad. TQ, Ramadi, Haditha, all those places. I ended up as the Sergeant of the Guard at KV my second deployment. Every time I see the shed in my back yard I think of the living conditions, almost miss it hahaha

HUGE MISTAKE: I added 12 pounds of sugar to the cherry mash (strainer bag) and all other ingredients. I added 5 gallons of water to 6 crushed Camden tablets. Unfortunately, I added the Camden tablets underneath the sugar and am not sure if I got it stirred up well enough before pitching two packages of yeast. Now, wondering if I just killed off my new least. I still try and stir the sugar and it is thick thick thick at the bottom.

HUGE MISTAKE: I added 12 pounds of sugar to the cherry mash (strainer bag) and all other ingredients. I added 5 gallons of water to 6 crushed Camden tablets. Unfortunately, I added the Camden tablets underneath the sugar and am not sure if I got it stirred up well enough before pitching two packages of yeast. Now, wondering if I just killed off my new least. I still try and stir the sugar and it is thick thick thick at the bottom.

Uh... I'm thinking you posted on the wrong thread dude.

Back