Greetings earthlings, from Mongolia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduke89

Reaction score
Hello from cold steppes of Mongolia (the coldest capital in the world, technically). My name is Duke and I am starting a little hobby of mine to brew what I love during my free time.

Since discovering this forum through Google, my desire to brew at home grew more.

Please be kind to the noob! :ban:

Hello and welcome to the forums from Colorado, and the rest of the US!

Can you find some of the normal brewing gear and ingredients in those parts?

Anything interesting that you can brew with?

Coldest?? Eh.. Hmm I live in Minneapolis, MN which is pretty much ice and snow for at least 9months. Perfect for getting down and brewing some beer!! cheers Duke!!

Hey all thanks for your warm welcome.

Homebrewing isn't totally new to Mongolians, but homebrewed beers are. Mongolians usually homebrew sea-buckthorn and cranberry wines at home through Russian recipes (we call it "BARAASHIG").

We do have some indigenous herbs, but traditionally there are no hops :( in Mongolia and our wheats are great for vodka only. But always searching for some possibilities.

Currently, I have small size homebrew kit for small batched 2 gal. at max but I do have some access to 200 L small brewery.

@J-Rock44 Actually, it was discussed on internet that Mongolia's capital UB has the lowest median temperature around the year (-3 C) making it the coldest sovereign nation's capital. But, I heard MN had a lot of snow and cold weather too. All this cold really hamper us on agricultural side.

Hi! I am a chef in New York City, and I am very interested in sourcing Sea Buckthorn Wine. I have yet to engage in any of my own home fermentation, but I would love to do so.
I just watched an episode of "Booze Traveler" that took place in Mongolia, and I found it fascinating.

Does anyone know where I can find this wine, or at least the sea buckthorn berries around NYC?

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the group, from Colorado :mug:

I am always fascinated by stories of brewing in parts of the world where it is not easily done. Best of luck.

Back