Green Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaltimoreBrau

Reaction score
So this was my first time kegging. It's been hooked up for a little over a week so I decided to attack the liquid line and give it a test. There is decent carbonation but the beer still taste green to me. I was wondering if I wanted to let it age more if I can leave the beer currently in the line in the line or will it not age and just expect the first bit still be green next time I try.

The beer in the line may age (never tested this theory) but it will be flat and not great by any means. Normally I just drop the first few oz before filling the glass. Helps ensure stuff that has fallen out of suspension in the keg doesn't end up in my glass.

This. If it's green, it needs to condition longer. Beer in the line isn't going to be good so do as the above poster suggest and purge a few ounces out of the line before sampling.

A ten foot 3/16" ID line holds all of 1.3 ounces of beer. Add a thimble of beer in
the faucet and there's still less than a shot glass of beer outside the keg.

As for the "green" beer, if the keg wasn't loaded with bright beer, the first few pulls will haul up enough yeast to give a good bite. Depending on just how much yeast was still in the beer at kegging, and how long the keg was cold conditioned, that bite could be short lived or linger for many pints...

Cheers!

Back