great taste ...bad smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigwill69

Reaction score
This is my first cider soo i tried to keep it simple. 3 gal. of cider, nutreint,maltodextrin,2lbs. corn sugar,pectic enzym, Fermentation was fine but smelled (ofcorase) like fermented apples..when fermentaion was done i added potasium sulfate waited 24 hrs. then racked and added 4 cans of apple concentate , cinnomon.. the whole time the cider had this smell after a week put in the fridge..another week the bottled...it tastes good,,,sweet but the fermented smell is soo over powering..Any help or advise to why or how to get rid or prevent this smell

How long did it sit? Sometimes it just needs to bulk age.

Out of curiosity, what type of yeast?

If you added apple concentrate and then bottled, be careful of bottle bombs! The yeast will eat the apple concentrate (unless it has sorbate in it) and blow up the bottles.

Ohh sorry it was potasium sorbbat... not sulfate. after a week there was no real activity and i didnt want a really dry cider. After the sorbate it sat in secondary for a week..then into the fridge for 4 days untill i bottled. I used monarch yeast....not shure i spelled that right.

your right... thats what i meant any ideas on the smell...do you think it will go a way or what caused it

My cider was really funky for the first several weeks as well. After a month or three of bottle aging it was much less noticeable.

well i dont know what to do ....its just to smelly to drink. Will it go away with age? Did i do something wrong...did i rush it,

I have found that most sulfury smells (or farty smells as I like to call them) can be almost eliminated by letting the primary fermentation finish completely. If I don't let it sit for at least 3-4 weeks, I get a bad smell. If I let it ferment dry, (sg ~ 1.000), the smell goes away. Not sure why but it does.

And they are right about bottle bombs. Sorbate prevents yeast reproduction, but doesn't actually stop fermentation outright. Typically you are going to want to use both sorbate and sulfite.

My local brew store tried to sell me sulfite also but the recipe didnt call for it.I have the last gallon in the fridge,in a glass jug. i guess ill let it sit for like a month then see if its any better...Is this a common issue with cider? This may be my first but most deffinetly wont be my last cider.:rockin:

Back