Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah the food saver is great - just make sure to "oversize" the bag so that you can reseal it after opening.

Or just use mason jars and vaccuum seal them. That way you dont have to waste the bags... jut pop them open, then reseal the lid when you are finished.

I think you've answered elsewhere - but approximately how much (pellet) fits in each pint jar?

Or just use mason jars and vaccuum seal them. That way you dont have to waste the bags... jut pop them open, then reseal the lid when you are finished.

You can also make 1oz bags out of the foodsaver bags.

With the 8" bags you can cut a piece that once turned sideways just fits on the sealer, turn it sideways and seal it long ways, I do one seal, move it down just a touch and seal again, this give you some room to cut later. Put it in like you would normally seal the bag, but pull it up so you are sealing the middle, again do a double seam. You now have a 4 pocket bag, each pocket will just hold 1 oz of pellet hops. I did my hops from the Indy group buy this way last year, plus a bunch of .5 and .25 ounce bags. Worked like a charm. Not sure if I would want to do this with 5 pounds though.

@ ThePol Our drop shipped yesterday and will be here on the 21st.

Hey, thanks Zach... I will be off for about 4 days at that time. I will look forward to the invite to come pick them up!

I think that if we should ever meet the_Roqk in person we should cut him a little slice for all of the money he saved us. :) :mug:

I look for nothing to gain but to make sure "everyone" on HBT was able to get in on the low pricing. I figured that by being on this forum I would eventually make a decent contribution. Hope everybody has gotten a deal or two. Just remember we are all here to help one another.

:mug:

The great thing about living in Washington? 1 day shipping times from Puterbaugh farms :) I placed the order last Tuesday 9/8, so it did take them about 5 days to ship out, but the overnight UPS is great.

Code:
SEATTLE, WA, US  	09/15/2009  	8:26 A.M.  	OUT FOR DELIVERY
	               09/15/2009 	6:27 A.M. 	ARRIVAL SCAN
MOSES LAKE, WA, US 	09/15/2009 	1:45 A.M. 	DEPARTURE SCAN
MOSES LAKE, WA, US 	09/14/2009 	11:00 P.M. 	ARRIVAL SCAN
KENNEWICK, WA, US 	09/14/2009 	9:40 P.M. 	DEPARTURE SCAN
                     	09/14/2009 	8:13 P.M. 	ORIGIN SCAN
US 	09/14/2009 	3:00 P.M. 	BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

The great thing about living in Washington? 1 day shipping times from Puterbaugh farms :) I placed the order last Tuesday 9/8, so it did take them about 5 days to ship out, but the overnight UPS is great.

Code:
SEATTLE, WA, US  	09/15/2009  	8:26 A.M.  	OUT FOR DELIVERY
	               09/15/2009 	6:27 A.M. 	ARRIVAL SCAN
MOSES LAKE, WA, US 	09/15/2009 	1:45 A.M. 	DEPARTURE SCAN
MOSES LAKE, WA, US 	09/14/2009 	11:00 P.M. 	ARRIVAL SCAN
KENNEWICK, WA, US 	09/14/2009 	9:40 P.M. 	DEPARTURE SCAN
                     	09/14/2009 	8:13 P.M. 	ORIGIN SCAN
US 	09/14/2009 	3:00 P.M. 	BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

And cheap! Moses lake -> Seattle was just 5 bucks for me.

Thanks to the OP for this great find! Just ordered a pound each of Cascade, Centennial, Magnum and Willamette. Wasn't going to get the Willamette, but at $6.75, how could I say no! :rockin:

Waiting on my front porch for me when I get home.

10# of hops in a 15# package. :rockin:

Pulled the trigger on my first blind order (have only bought what I needed for a given brew before)...

1 lb each of Amarillo, Centennial, Cascade and Magnum.
4 lbs for $40.50 !!!! :ban: (minus shipping)

....time for a massive IIPA. I have been brooding over brewing one for a while now.

just ordered
Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb.
Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb.
Hallertau Pellets (GR) 1 lb.

food saver should pay for itself now!

I ordered as soon as this thread came up. Just got my hops today. Pretty good turnaround time.

Man, do I wana brew...

I posted in another thread but I'll say it again here... 5 pound order = 5.5 pounds. Very nice!

So my 8lbs showed up today just a hair under 11lbs including the box so at least 10lbs of hops. Worked out to approximately $0.62 an ounce shipped including the extra hops ($0.77/oz if I had only received exactly 8lbs). Very exciting!

help me choose...right now I have Amarillo and cascade. I want a bittering hop. looks like my choices are magnum, chinook, nugget and columbus. I brew mainly pales and belgians. My first IPA is coming soon. Which hops should I get? I have no experience with any of them...Im leaning Chinook right now; it looks to be pretty versitile

Edit: I decided to go with Amarillo, Willamette and Galena...I have a feeling I can make some serious beer with those!

Chinook is notoriously 'rough' in bitterness, due to a high cohumulone level. If you want a good clean bittering hop, I suggest Galena or Magnum.

I havent ordered yet....I have heard that about Chinook. I have always heard good things about Galena; I think I will give that a shot. Thanks flyangler

From my limited experience, Chinook can impart a flavor not unlike a catbox. CTZ(Columbus AKA Tomahawk AKA Zeus), or the aforementioned Galena, and Magnum are pretty clean for bittering.

FYI..... I spoke with a customer service rep just a few minutes ago and she informed me that the pellets from this years harvest will not be processed and ready for purchase until November to early December. Just thought I would pass the info along to those interested.

The pricing on this years whole leaf hops are so close to the year old pellets I think I'm going to order the whole leaf type. I've never used whole leaf hops if you can believe it.

This gets to what I was wondering and that is, considering the new crop whole leaf is similar in price to the 2008 whole leaf, is there any reason to believe that we won't see great 2009 pellet prices?

I realize this is like guessing futures, but does it make sense to wait for the 09 pellets instead of pulling the trigger on 5+ pounds of 08's?

This from their website:

Nearly every variety that is available in whole hoops will be pelleted when we complete our harvest. We begin to run our mill the day after we have taken down our last vines from the fields. As far as how long they last, I believe that is an impossible question for us to answer. We have looked over historical data and there are really no relevant trends to pull from past homebrewer purchases.

Does anyone feel a little bad (maybe a little) for the micro farmers who invested in setting up an acre or two with trellises based on hop prices of recent history? At current prices those producers will never recoup investment.

I'm thinking of a recent vendor on this site selling undried hop pounds for $25. This equates to better than $50-60 / lb for his hops once dried. Sounds like my HBS' ounce prices.

Got my 4lbs this morning but had to run out, massive weighing session to ensue tonight. Do you guys break it up to the ounce or what?

Does anyone feel a little bad (maybe a little) for the micro farmers who invested in setting up an acre or two with trellises based on hop prices of recent history? At current prices those producers will never recoup investment.

My friend down the street invested in a bunch of starts and trellises last year, granted not an acre. We are both still pretty stoked and had a great fresh hops brew session last week. There's nothing quite like picking pounds of fresh hops and tossing them into the boil hours later.

Got my 4lbs this morning but had to run out, massive weighing session to ensue tonight. Do you guys break it up to the ounce or what?

Not me. Unless the packages are not vacuum sealed when they arrive (I believe they are), I'll leave them as-is until called upon for a brew. I'll divide the remainder into 1-2 oz. packages then. Why expose the hops to the air untill necessary?

"Why expose the hops to the air untill necessary? "

i figured i would do it on the day they arrive since it will happen eventually, and there already thawed out.

I am a little torn on this. I really want to buy a bunch of pellets, but I don't want to buy 08 pellets instead of 09 pellets unless there are major savings to be had.

Does anyone know how far these prices have dropped at this supplier or any experience with how much the new crop prices for pellets might rise above the current 08 crop prices?

These prices are so cheap! $20 a pound is a good deal, but this is insane!

Ordered 1 pound each of Magnum, Cascade, Willamette and Crystal yesterday. Anyone have an idea how long they're taking to ship the hops? I have a feeling this thread has triggered a run on their remaining selection...

Latest posts

Back