Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So who here has repackaged a bunch of hops, spendung a couple hours wrist deep in the stuff, and been really sick of the smell of hops at day's end.

Yesterday I packaged up 3 pounds plus brewed a batch and I could still smell hops on my skin late into the night. I'm sure this sounds fine to most people until you actually experience it.

Can't imagine being a farmer who is waist deep in it for a working shift. They must be stained from head to foot.

My wife and I split up 50 pounds this summer... took several hours to do. I cannot say though that I had any aversion to the scent in the house! Had a huge lupulin contact buzz going on!

I have been packaging hops all week! Only got 4 ounces out of my hallertauer, but already packaged 10 ounces of cascades, with more than half of the harvest now drying.

Today, my shippment from hopsdirect came! I got 5 pounds of hops- and hopefully I have enough food saver bags! I think I'll put some of the Northern Brewer hops in three ounce packages, since I'll use 3 ounces in a batch of steam beer the next time.

They are running a bit behind since the whole world is buying up their stock of 2008 hops so be patient.

I expect the same rush at Freshops next week when they have their 2009s up for order.

These guys have great customer service and a great product, but right now they are clearly overwhelmed.

So who here has repackaged a bunch of hops, spendung a couple hours wrist deep in the stuff, and been really sick of the smell of hops at day's end.

Yesterday I packaged up 3 pounds plus brewed a batch and I could still smell hops on my skin late into the night. I'm sure this sounds fine to most people until you actually experience it.

Can't imagine being a farmer who is waist deep in it for a working shift. They must be stained from head to foot.

Just wait until tommorow:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/interesting-phenomenon-134869/

And I ordered last Sunday the 13th and haven't gotten confirmation. Not worried.

They are running a bit behind since the whole world is buying up their stock of 2008 hops so be patient.

I expect the same rush at Freshops next week when they have their 2009s up for order.

These guys have great customer service and a great product, but right now they are clearly overwhelmed.

I agree they have a great product and customer service.

I'm partially upset that I haven't been sent a UPS quantum shipping number either. It's been nearly two weeks since I ordered my bundles of joy. I had no idea that they would be this busy. I know, I know. Be patient, they are extremely busy this time of year. Who'd a thought about posting the great pricing would help create such a backlog for Puterbaugh Farms. I still think they have the best deals. I'll give them a few more days until I email them again to find out if my order has been filled.

I have about 15 varieties in stock.

I will sell them to you at $3 an ounce, I will ship next day.

Let me know if you want some.

I have about 15 varieties in stock.

I will sell them to you at $3 an ounce, I will ship next day.

Let me know if you want some.

Hmmmm.......

I have 12 varieties (all less than a lb each) that I have bought from Puterbaugh Farms this past year. All in the deep freezer. I was hoping to get my other 5 pounds sometime soon. But who knows when. Very tempting Pol. I think I'll wait it out a little more. :cross:

I ordered 3lbs on 9/9 and received my ups tracking number today. Grains are waiting for the hop goodness.

I just got mine tooo. I was startin to geek a little!!! ALRIGHT! Whats crazy is the package is 5 lbs and i ordered 3lbs. DUDE if this is a score i will be stoked!!! I know a couple of people have been getting heavy loads so we will find out on the 25th.

My wife and I split up 50 pounds this summer... took several hours to do. I cannot say though that I had any aversion to the scent in the house! Had a huge lupulin contact buzz going on!

My problem actually arose at mealtimes. Otherwise it is a pretty pleasing air freshener. I was eating a $20 veal chop for dinner with a demi-glace reduction that took me about 60 hours of work to create and I kept tasting hops intermittently throughout the meal. ;) This is not Dirty Jobs worthy, mind you, in spite of the fact that he filmed at Puterbaugh, more just an observation.

I ordered 4 pounds on the 10th, got my tracking number the 17th. Scheduled to arrive the 23rd.

Relax everybody.

Placed my order on the 7th and received it today. Ordered eight pounds and the packages averaged 2 ounces overage. That means I received an extra pound of hops. The Pump-n-Seal I ordered also came today and it works well.:mug:

Placed my order on the 7th and received it today. Ordered eight pounds and the packages averaged 2 ounces overage. That means I received an extra pound of hops. The Pump-n-Seal I ordered also came today and it works well.:mug:

just out of curiousity what did your fed ex weight say it was for shipping?

Thier 1lb PELLET packages are 2oz over religously. When we bought 50 pounds this summer, they were all 2oz over, some 3oz... not really less than that. That is a lot of extra hops.

This post is not meant as a complaint, although I understand it may sound so.

I packaged up a lb of Amarillo in 1 oz packages. Full, the bag weighed 18 0z. Empty, the bag ways .75 oz. That means 17.25 oz of hops.

I ended up with with 15 1 oz bags, and the 16th bag was 1.25. I am not using a digital scale, so the individual bags would have slight variance. So each bag had about 1/16 of an ounce extra in it.

I am wondering if they make the bags slightly heavy to account for people repacking and the 1 oz bags not being *exactly* one ounce. If my 1lb bag weighted exactly 16 oz, I wouldn't have ended up with 16 individual 1 oz. bags. Even though that would have been my inaccurate weighing, I would have felt shorted. The extra oz or two of hops ensures that doesn't happen, an makes people feel like thy are getting more than they paid for.

So the amarillo that weighed 18 oz at the start only yeilded .25 extra ounces after my weigh out.

This post is not meant as a complaint, although I understand it may sound so.

I packaged up a lb of Amarillo in 1 oz packages. Full, the bag weighed 18 0z. Empty, the bag ways .75 oz. That means 17.25 oz of hops.

I ended up with with 15 1 oz bags, and the 16th bag was 1.25. I am not using a digital scale, so the individual bags would have slight variance. So each bag had about 1/16 of an ounce extra in it.

I am wondering if they make the bags slightly heavy to account for people repacking and the 1 oz bags not being *exactly* one ounce. If my 1lb bag weighted exactly 16 oz, I wouldn't have ended up with 16 individual 1 oz. bags. Even though that would have been my inaccurate weighing, I would have felt shorted. The extra oz or two of hops ensures that doesn't happen, an makes people feel like thy are getting more than they paid for.

So the amarillo that weighed 18 oz at the start only yeilded .25 extra ounces after my weigh out.

Unless you're using a triple beam balance scale I doubt you're scale is precise enough to do such low weight measurements. Is it one of those food scales with a needle going back and forth a somewhat arbitrarily scaled background?

Unless you're using a triple beam balance scale I doubt you're scale is precise enough to do such low weight measurements. Is it one of those food scales with a needle going back and forth a somewhat arbitrarily scaled background?

I use a jewelry scale that is accurate to .1 gram, I figure that is precise enough for hops, they only weigh up to 1 lb but great for small amounts of hops or brewing water additions

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-0-1g-GRAM-GRAINS-DIGITAL-JEWELRY-MINI-POCKET-SCALE_W0QQitemZ170366756770QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27aaa667a2&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Just wanted to let y'all know what kind of turnaround they have right now. I ordered last Sunday, the 13th, and got my confirmation this afternoon, the 21st. They are a family farm and are harvesting and are dealing with an awesome amount of orders due to their great pricing. If you can't deal with the wait I'd suggest buying local and waiting a few months for even better deals. If you've ordered and are complaining to the farm through e-mail, on the phone, or on the HD forum please STOP! Let's not screw this up. I've been back in brewing for the last two seasons and can't remember being able to get fresh crop this early. They're dealing with a surplus and we're pretty much the only outlet that they have, so let's be decent!

Hmmmm.......

I have 12 varieties (all less than a lb each) that I have bought from Puterbaugh Farms this past year. All in the deep freezer. I was hoping to get my other 5 pounds sometime soon. But who knows when. Very tempting Pol. I think I'll wait it out a little more. :cross:

Hopefully you have heard about your hops by now. You should be getting them for free since you got the rest of us buying.

Hopefully you have heard about your hops by now. You should be getting them for free since you got the rest of us buying.

I just received my order this afternoon while I was brewing my RIS. I never was sent a UPS tracking number. But I saw on the box that the email address was incorrectly spelled. So that was the reason no tracking number from UPS. Doesn't matter, I got me some new bundles of joy. :rockin:

1 lb Tettnanger leaf
1 lb Centennial leaf
1 lb Fuggle leaf
1 lb Nugget leaf
1 lb Willamette leaf

It would have been nice if Puterbaugh Farms could have sent them as a gift. But no worries. I'm still glad everyone has been able to take advantage of the great prices for now.

So..anyone else get their hops and they were all stuck together? I went to divide up my hops after they arrived and upon opening the bag I noticed these things were vacuum sealed so well that the pellets were just one big hop mass that I had to chisel to break apart.

one question, how in the heck do you guys who order 5-10 pounds of leaf store them? I got 4 pounds and feel as if I need a separate freezer just for hops.

one question, how in the heck do you guys who order 5-10 pounds of leaf store them? I got 4 pounds and feel as if I need a separate freezer just for hops.

This is why I order pellet only (one reason)

Yea, the only reason I like leaf hops is that the way I transfer to primary they work to form a great filter bed. Aside from that they're kind of a pita.

Ordered on the 8th, shipped on the 14th, arrived the 21st. Good thing I already had what I needed for my brew days in between.
My wife is not too thrilled with the lb of leaf taking up a good chunk of the freezer, but I'm extatic. The 4 individual lbs of pellets were each over by about 1.5 oz, the EKG leaf was over but about 4oz. Woot! Can't wait to brew.

My order also came in yesterday. I did not get super lucky on the overages. The Willemette Amarillo and Cascade were 2, 1.5 and 1.5 oz over. The UK Fuggles and German Tettnanger were about .5 oz. But the overages alone paid for 2 pounds if I had bought them at the LHBS.

I use a digital scale that is accurate to 1 gram and does pounds to the nearest decimal. The actual weights without the foil bag were.

Willamette 1.127lbs
Amarillo 1.124lbs
Cascade 1.089
Fuggles (UK) 1.04
Tettnanger (GR) 1.032

No complaints. Given the huge increase of volume and huge sudden rush of orders I think they did a fantastic job. I think some people are forgetting the ridiculous prices we have been paying for hops the last year or so.

Similar. Ordered 8th, shipped 14th, out for delivery today 9/22. You certainly don't order 9 pounds of hops because you need them right now. I'm not complaining.

Yeah same here.

EDISON, NJ OUT FOR DELIVERY!

Love seeing that message...

Ordered on the 9th, arrived yesterday. I never received a shipping notice, so when I found the package on my doorstep, it was like Christmas in September!

Each package was over by 2 ounces. However, I suspect that the foil packaging accounts for the difference.

I ordered mine on the 16th and they are to arrive tomorrow! Ordered three pounds but the shipping weight is 6 pounds. I can't wait to see how much of that is extra hops!

Back