Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ****, I hope these hops are still good by the time I get them. Timeline...

Ordered 9/6
Order processed and shipped 9/11
Expected delivery date 9/17

So after not processing my order all week, the send it out on a Friday night, it hasn't even left WA yet, and will sit in that UPS warehouse all weekend. Then when they finally leave with my order on Monday, it still has to travel across the US for 3 days in the back of a truck. I hope I don't have two bags of cheese on Thursday when they finally arrive. Anyone else have issues, yall seem to be getting your orders in a timely fashion.

This is why I try to get my orders shipped USPS whenever possible. I got my tracking info on Tuesday for delivery on the following Wednesday. (8 days?!?) USPS flat rate would be two business days max for me from anywhere in the country.

The worst part is where I can see my package sitting in a UPS warehouse in some nearby place like Harrisburg for 4 days before making the last few mile trip to my house.

I hope that when I put in my order on Tuesday everything will be fine. Would have done it today but the local place took/bribed me of all my cash <crying>

Well ****, I hope these hops are still good by the time I get them. Timeline...

Ordered 9/6
Order processed and shipped 9/11
Expected delivery date 9/17

So after not processing my order all week, the send it out on a Friday night, it hasn't even left WA yet, and will sit in that UPS warehouse all weekend. Then when they finally leave with my order on Monday, it still has to travel across the US for 3 days in the back of a truck. I hope I don't have two bags of cheese on Thursday when they finally arrive. Anyone else have issues, yall seem to be getting your orders in a timely fashion.

A week in the back of a UPS truck are NOT going to kill your hops. Where do you think they store them for over a year and the hops are still perfectly fine? I'll give you a hint, it's not in a big freezer in the sky.

A week in the back of a UPS truck are NOT going to kill your hops. Where do you think they store them for over a year and the hops are still perfectly fine? I'll give you a hint, it's not in a big freezer in the sky.

i do believe hopsdirect uses cold storage. but i think ups do deliver and ship on fridays and saturdays. i also believe they still drive on sundays but dont make deliverys

Just bought 3 pounds this morning :rockin:
great deal i saved 40 dollars and that doesnt even cover shipping!!
great heads up!

Maybe I'll get luck and get new crop since I didn't get my shipping notification yet. ;)

You have to specifially order NEW STOCK hops... sounds like you didnt, you will get 2008 hops. 2009 hops are only available in leaf currently too.

i do believe hopsdirect uses cold storage. but i think ups do deliver and ship on fridays and saturdays. i also believe they still drive on sundays but dont make deliverys

UPS does not deliver on Saturdays. FedEX, however, does.

UPS does deliver Saturdays, but you have to pay $$$$ specifically for Saturday delivery.

Yah, re-using yeast is da bomb... why trash a huge yeast cake in that fermentor when you can make 10 more batches with it?

Hops and malt prices are unavoidable... hopefully they stay down. Interested to see if the LHBS hop pricing comes down at all.

My feeling is, if I can order 100's of pounds of hops or grain from my computer for 25% of what I pay at the LHBS, then my LHBS has got to be making a ton of profit. I mean, who am I? Some simpleton... not a business owner. I would suspect that the LHBS has to be able to get AT LEAST the same deal that I can.

I would suspect that the LHBS has to be able to get AT LEAST the same deal that I can.
maybe, maybe not. I see many LHBS's hops repackaged by LD Carlson. That tells me they are buying by the ounce, not buying bulk and repackaging them for the quantity discount.

The local one in our area stores their hops in glass hinged top jars that they measure your order out of. They typically charge 2.99-4.00 per ounce, given Hopsdirect.com pricing before their sale that is close to a 100% mark up, even with shipping included.

Yah, re-using yeast is da bomb... why trash a huge yeast cake in that fermentor when you can make 10 more batches with it?

Hops and malt prices are unavoidable... hopefully they stay down. Interested to see if the LHBS hop pricing comes down at all.

My feeling is, if I can order 100's of pounds of hops or grain from my computer for 25% of what I pay at the LHBS, then my LHBS has got to be making a ton of profit. I mean, who am I? Some simpleton... not a business owner. I would suspect that the LHBS has to be able to get AT LEAST the same deal that I can.

You said it!

3 lbs of hops delivered for $40. Am buying about 200 lbs of grain for $130. I have a fridge full of reclaimed yeast. I am pretty much set for a year or more for around $8.50 PER BATCH(call it $10 with fuel!)

I would easily be paying 4 times that at my hbs.

Only problem I am seeing with these hop prices is that it is almost not worth it to tend and care for my rhizomes. It doesn't take much effort to grow them but it will take several years if ever before I repay the cost of the trellis in savings.

For those wondering, HopsDirect (Puterbaugh Farms) stores their hops in cold storage at 30F.

I ordered 4 lbs on 9/8 and still haven't received shipping confirmation.

I ordered on Tuesday, my card was charged on Friday, but haven't received any info yet. I just tried calling them, but it was their answering service. I was told I would get a call back.

I ordered on 9/9. Still hasn't shipped yet. They said they got flooded with orders and are behind. She said that mine should ship tomorrow......

I ordered on 9/9. Still hasn't shipped yet. They said they got flooded with orders and are behind. She said that mine should ship tomorrow......

Doesn't surprise me at all. It actually surprised me that mine shipped so quickly. Fat lot of good it did though since I won't get it til Wednesday. :)

new brewer here. looking too do some hoppy ipa's and pale's soon. what hops should i get,aka most useful for different recipes? just 2# i was thinking as that should last a long time. i've seen many many recipes call for cascade.

I ordered mine on 9/7 got the bill 9/10 shipped 9/11 supposed to arive on 9/18

its cheap, and they are selling 1000s of lbs a day, takes time :)

new brewer here. looking too do some hoppy ipa's and pale's soon. what hops should i get,aka most useful for different recipes? just 2# i was thinking as that should last a long time. i've seen many many recipes call for cascade.

cascades is a good starting point, also, there are some real good brewers in your area. look for the local group, great way to learn and improve!

cascades is a good starting point, also, there are some real good brewers in your area. look for the local group, great way to learn and improve!

i've been to a few local brew meetings. pretty awesome way to meet new people and homebrewers. been a fun hobby so far. this deal looks like a great way to stock up.

Cascade & cluster pellets are now $6.75/lb online. A number of other prices have dropped, too. They also have a number of the new crop leaf hops available for very reasonable prices (pretty much all under $16/lb and most under or around $12/lb).

Cascades are great for both IPA and APA. Also try Columbus and Amarillo. I particularly like Amarillo for IPA.

Just got an email a little while ago, it looks like they are shipping out today/tomorrow and should arrive on the 22nd.

FYI..... I spoke with a customer service rep just a few minutes ago and she informed me that the pellets from this years harvest will not be processed and ready for purchase until November to early December. Just thought I would pass the info along to those interested.

The pricing on this years whole leaf hops are so close to the year old pellets I think I'm going to order the whole leaf type. I've never used whole leaf hops if you can believe it.

I think I may actually have too much hops after all this arrives if that is possible. I have a lot of beer to make, that is for sure, good thing I stocked up on base grain this weekend.

I think that if we should ever meet the_Roqk in person we should cut him a little slice for all of the money he saved us. :) :mug:

Latest posts

Back