Gravity questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
Looking to move my NB chocolate milk stout to secondary on with my nibs/vodka extract. Before doing so, I'm going to take a gravity reading to see where it sits. Anyone have any experience with this kit? My O.G. was 1.060 (directions said should be 1.051), and they don't mention a good F.G. What are everyone's thoughts on this? What F.G. should I shoot for?

Attenuation for that yeast is 65%-70%...so assuming you get a full 70% attenuation, you could potentially end up 1.018'ish.

Someone correct me if I am wrong with that calculation, I have been awake for close to 35 hours.

Brewed 2 weeks ago, and I'm at 1.028. Sounds like I may need to raise the temperature up to 70 degrees and give it another week. Thoughts?

If the 1.028 is from a hydrometer reading and not a refractometer you have one of 2 problems. Either your hydrometer is off (your OG was higher than the kit specified which could be a bad reading or extract not mixed well enough) or you need more time at a warmer temp. First test your hydrometer in just water. While the reading may not be exactly at 1.000 due to the temperature or minerals in your water, it should be really close to that.

if your OG was 9 points high, perhaps your FG is also 9 points high and you're afflicted with the 1.020 Curse!

I was thinking a wheat yeast was a strange choice for a stout, but WLP041 is Pacific Ale

Just looked it up. There is a pound of lactose in the recipe. That may be a contributor to your high FG.

Yeah, the lactose is going to give you a higher final gravity, but there's nothing wrong with raising the temp and bit and ensuring that the gravity is stable before moving forward. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back