Gravity for Priming/backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am ready to bottle 2gallon batch of cider, it's FG is .0996. I what to use apple concentrate to carbonate and back sweeten. My plan is to add concentrate to cider, bottle let sit for 7days and then pasteurize. What should the gravity read after addition of apple concentrate.

Cheer's

I'm still new to this but I don't think there is necessarily a target FG. You'll want to backsweeten to taste. The more you add, the sweeter and higher FG you'll end up with.

I just bottled one of my 5 gal batches and used 3 cans of frozen apple juice concentrate. It is just a little on the sweet side, but not bad. I will probably go with 2 cans on the next 5 gal. I fermented 3 batches all together, but am staggering the bottle carbing so I don't have ~150 bottles to pasteurize all at once :D I didn't even bother with gravity readings this time around because its easier to sweeten to taste.

Back