Gravity feeding a plate chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyo_brews

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a plate chiller. The particular one I am looking at is set up for a garden hose to feed the cooling water. Unfortunately I live in Wyoming and running the hose isn't really an option during the winter. I was wondering if anyone has tried a gravity feed system for the cooling water.

Assuming you still have running water indoors, I'd suggest using a sink faucet adapter for a garden hose. Gravity feed would be so slow and may not get your knockout temp low enough.

It really depends on the plate chiller. The manufacturer will state if it is compatible with a gravity fed system, some are and some are not. If it's not listed contact them and find out before purchase. They may give you details such as the amount of drop to function properly. Just because they use a garden hose doesn't mean it will work.

Are you suggesting that your cold water source in be gravity fed as well as the wort? This can't really work well as the water source goes in the bottom feed and the wort through the top so the two liquids pass opposite each other. At some point the pressure of the cold water source will reduce to the point it will no longer push up and through I would think.......Perhaps I'm Confused................

what about buying a recirculating pump? take some water in a bucket, and just pump through?

If you got a submersible pond pump it should be enough to push it through. I picked one up on amazon for about 25 bucks and it was plenty stout enough to push water through 50' of copper.

Back