Grassy profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2LiveBrew18

Reaction score
I’m looking to brew an IPA that has the characteristics of some of my favorite, older beers- Todd The Axe Man from Surly & Arctic Panzer Wolf from 3Floyds. I’ve recently found it in Parish’s Nova Vert .. It’s a dank, grassy, very pleasant taste in some big beers. These beers don’t use any crazy experimental hops- simcoe, Amarillo, mosaic - I just want to know if there is a secret to getting that grassy profile. Thank you.

Last edited:
That’s what I meant. They don’t use anything we haven’t heard of, and looks like just one malt. Is it a water profile or something that brings out a grassy’ness?

Try CTZ. I brewed a single hop with only Zeus at flameout, for 65 IBU, OG 1.048, thus a BU:GU of 1,36. Herbal flavours really shined.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for but if you leave the beer on the hops (when dry hopping) for a couple extra days you'll get a grassy flavor 🤷‍♂️

If you're looking for the dank "grassy" flavor with those hops, I would try a big dose of simcoe at flameout or whirlpool. As @Alan Reginato said, CTZ is another great hop for these flavors. You'll get more of it from late additions than from a dry hop.

Back