Contains No Juice DIPA - Alvarado Street Brewery All Grain Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Borrowed from here - https://beerandbrewing.com/contains-no-juice-expressive-ipa-recipe/ and posted on HBT so that I can remove the bookmark and search here instead.

The brewer at ASB provided the receipt to Beer and Brewing, so straight from the source. They brew this only a few times a year at their main brewery in Salinas (2-3 times, maybe). The cans are gone within days...it's good!

I made some tweaks which I'll note below (in blue font), and my outcome came out nearly identical to theirs. I had a few issues though which will be caution points on this point. (Things for you to look out for.)

ALL GRAIN
Batch size: 5 gallons (19 liters)
Brewhouse efficiency: 72%
OG: 1.072
FG: 1.007
IBUs: 55
ABV: 8% - If you dilute the wort correctly you can transform this into a Session IPA which was what I ended up doing. My OG was 1.052 and resulting FG was 1.014.

MALT/GRAIN BILL
8.25 lb (3.75 kg) American 2-Row Malt
4 lb (1.8 kg) Golden Promise
1.25 lb (.57 kg) Flaked Barley
4 oz (113g) Simpson’s Crystal Light

HOPS SCHEDULE
0.33 oz (9.4 g) Mosaic at 60 minutes
2 oz (56.7 g) Amarillo at flameout, steep for 20 minutes
1.5 oz (42.5 g) Simcoe at flameout, steep for 20 minutes
1 oz Citra (28.3 g) dry hop in primary for 7 days
2 oz Mosaic (56.7 g) dry hop in primary for 7 days
1 oz Amarillo (28.3 g) dry hop in primary for 7 days
1 oz Galaxy (28.3 g) dry hop in primary for 7 days

YEAST
Omega Tropical IPA. Ferment at 75 degrees for 5 days, then let free rise to 78 degrees to finish fermentation. - My brew shop doesn't carry Omega, so we opted to use
London ESB – Classic English ESB dry yeast which worked perfectly if you can temp control. I used my sous vide with my carboy in the water bath.
CAUTION NOTE: The yeast is a BOSS, and it will ferment off quickly and with extreme vigour! Even with about 2 gallons of headspace in my 5 gallon carboy it blew off and volcano'd out. (A mess.) I suspect this might have had some impact on the color being off in the end? Can't think of what else that could've caused that to happen.

DIRECTIONS
Mash at 150°F (65.5°C). Using lactic acid, adjust mash to achieve 5.1–5.3 pH. Dry hop when gravity falls below 1.020, but take caution as nucleation sites may cause a geyser. Start with a few pellets, let the CO2 settle, then finish the dry hop under positive pressure. Do not remove yeast. After 7 days on hops, crash beer to 32°F (0°C) and hold for 4-5 days before racking to keg or bottling. - I didn't use lactic acid to adjust the pH nor did I worry about dry hopping under positive pressure. I pitched my dry hops in at 1.016 (final gravity settled at 1.014) along with a half pack of English Ale Yeast (all I had on hand) to offset whatever was lost in the blowout noted above.

In spite of all my mistakes, the beer came out identical in hop aroma, hop bite, light bitterness, mouthfeel, and finish. If the color had been true to form, you wouldn't know the difference (well, except for the lower ABV but that's unnoticable).

IMG_20180515_204630.jpg

Also because I diluted the wort down (rather, I didn't boil off as much) I was able to take the additional wort and make a side batch dubbed Prop 215 IPA. That one came out very nice as well (approx. 2 gallons).

Fermented with Nottingham Ale Yeast which brought the FG down to 1.008. The hop profile on this one was:
0.3oz Moziac @ 60min
0.3oz Moziac @ flameout for 20min (stayed in wort after)
0.5oz Simcoe @ flameout for 20min (stayed in wort after)
2.4oz Citra whole hops @ flameout for 20min (removed from wort after)
Moziac and Simcoe were pellet hops

Fermented in garage with the heater wrap on it from 04/20 (pitched yeast) to 04/26. I removed the heater wrap, let the temps drop to garage ambient (60ish), cold crashed for 5 days, and bottled. The taster I did was crisp, clean, and a nice hop bite. It needs probably another week of bottle conditioning though...a little grassy, perhaps from the heavy handed Citra? Or maybe it's just a little green yet? This was only bottled on May 7th, so only 8 days in the bottle before testing.

IMG_20180515_204404.jpg

Thanks TwistedGray, I'm going to brew this next. This beer from ASB flies off our shelves too in Sacramento. It's really damn good.
Just ordered some vials of a Sacch Trois yeast, and it sat in the 100F mailbox for 2 days -_____- I completely forgot. Testing them in a starter now to see if they're viable.

Thanks TwistedGray, I'm going to brew this next. This beer from ASB flies off our shelves too in Sacramento. It's really damn good.
Just ordered some vials of a Sacch Trois yeast, and it sat in the 100F mailbox for 2 days -_____- I completely forgot. Testing them in a starter now to see if they're viable.

Enjoy! Their beer doesn't stay on shelves down here either.

I'm also going to try underpitching, 80% of the recommended rate by brewers-friend. I heard underpitching some yeasts can create more fruitiness. Whether it's true or not, I love the experimentation of homebrewing!

Back