Graniteware vs Aluminum vs Stainless Steel Purchase Decision

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtisCummings

Reaction score
Here are the three options..

Granite Ware 34-Quart Stock Pot, Black - $43.33
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO7C9C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Winware Stainless Steel Stock Pot 32 qt - $99.99
Amazon.com: Winware Stainless Steel 32 Quart Stock Pot with Cover: Kitchen & Dining

Winware Professional Aluminum Stock Pot - $43.09
Amazon.com: Winware Professional Aluminum 32 Quart Stockpot: Kitchen & Dining

A friend who has been homebrewing for awhile told me I should not choose Aluminum unless it is enamel coated. He has been brewing on the Granite Ware for two years now, so I know that is a good option.

Who can give me some sound advice?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are so many myths out there about aluminum pots effecting homebrew. It's all hogwash. I used a 6 gallon aluminum turkey fryer as my kettle for years and NEVER had any off flavors. The only time you get those off flavors is when you clean the aluminum with the wrong types of products and it damages the coating on the aluminum.

I think people need to explain to new brewers a little more about pot selection instead of just saying... "Aluminum bad! Stainless, good!"

While stainless will laste much longer, and it cleans up much easier...it's not in everyone's price range. Until you decide you really want to stick with homebrewing (you'd be suprised how many people stop brewing after 5 or 6 batches) then I wouldn't spend your money on stainless. Even then...if you get REALLY into it, you'll need to upgrade to a bigger kettle very soon (32qt won't cut it for long), so that's more money.

Go with the aluminum. I would stay away from enamel only because if it chips, you'll have problems.

I would stay away from enamel only because if it chips, you'll have problems.

+1

I have an enameled stockpot that I use for a water-bath canner. They do chip really easily so I wouldn't recommend it for brewing. Plus the bottoms are really thin so you'd have a greater risk of scorching. I have a stainless pot that I brew with but like Suthrncomfrt1884 said, there's nothing wrong with aluminum.

I would stay away from enamel only because if it chips, you'll have problems.

that is immediately what i thought of when i read "graniteware". steel is best if you have the money, aluminum is fine as well, you just have to be more careful with it. and dont use oxiclean on it.

I bought a 22qt Graniteware pot from Wal-Mart as my first brew pot. Went to use it for the second time and noticed 2 very small rust spots on the bottom of the inside. Have no idea how they got there seeing I only used a wooden spoon to stir. Disappointed none the less. Picked up a 60qt Alumn pot of ebay. Paperwork with the pot said to do one water boil before using and never use any "oxy" cleaners and it will last a lifetime....

If you think you will be doing this hobby for awhile spend the money now. I'm the guy who is on his fourth pot as I kept upgrading. Plus 32qt is pushing it for a full 5gal boil. The 60qt pot above would be great. Al or SS both are fine.

Depends on if you like spending lots of money on shiny things or not. If so, go stainless. If not, go aluminum. There'll be no difference in their ability to produce great beer. Aluminum is actually easier to work with if you ever want to drill it out to install a ball valve or sight glass or whatever. Plus, as a previous poster noted, it's lighter and it transfers heat better.

Though I do agree that you should go a little bigger. 32qts will work fine for standard 5 gallon batches (as long as you use fermcap), but 40qt pots honestly just make things easier. Plus if you ever want to do a longer boil, you'll appreciate the space. If you ever imagine yourself going even bigger, then do what everyone else is saying and get a 60qt one.

After using Aluminum exclusively for 3 years, I can honestly say there's no downside to it (besides Alzheimer's):)

I have been using expensive stainless kettles for the last year and cleaning them is a pita. Yes they are purdy, but who cares?
My aluminum kettles were sturdier as well.

I realize for commercial brewing, stainless is necessary, but it's totally overrated for home brewing imo.

HERE is the one I'm seriously thinking of getting. Triple bottom that is over 7mm thick, set up with therm and valve. They also have a 15 Gal one that might be an even better choice. Thinking more long term.. Right now, I'm using the aluminum turkey fryer pot.

This is what I ended up getting after much deliberation.

Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXHKMC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's stainless, 44 qt. and comes with a lid and free shipping $83.00

From what I read about the aluminum pots, they can rust after you drill out holes for a valve/thermometer and some of the Amazon Reviews confirmed this.

I still might buy a larger aluminum - we shall see.

11 gallons (44qt) should be enough if I want to do a longer 5 gal boil or a full 10 gal batch, right?

Thanks for everyone's advice... What a great community of folks here!

Kurtis

This is what I ended up getting after much deliberation.

Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VXHKMC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's stainless, 44 qt. and comes with a lid and free shipping $83.00

From what I read about the aluminum pots, they can rust after you drill out holes for a valve/thermometer and some of the Amazon Reviews confirmed this.

I still might buy a larger aluminum - we shall see.

11 gallons (44qt) should be enough if I want to do a longer 5 gal boil or a full 10 gal batch, right?

Thanks for everyone's advice... What a great community of folks here!

Kurtis

That brand of kettle is very popular. They are a good value and easy to convert to brewing.

You made the right choice concidering you're wanting to add a valve. As for 10 gallon batches, you'll be a little short on space. You need almost a 15 gallon kettle to do 10 gallons.

Wait...what? Aluminum can't rust...it can corrode if not treated right but a metal has to contain iron to rust. Maybe the holes were contaminated by a cheap drill bit?

Back