Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo Breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZSteve

Reaction score
As a homebrewer and craft beer geek, I'm making the pilgrimage from Phoenix to Beer City USA (Grand Rapids, MI), and also to Kalamazoo, in late May. What good breweries are in the area that have a tasting room and/or restaurant? The obvious ones are Founders (Grand Rapids) and Bells (near Kalamazoo) ... but for somebody who does not know the area, what else do you recommend?

Thanks

Not too far away from Founders is Brewery Vivant, farmhouse style beers. Very good stuff. Farther north is Perrin Brewing. I recommend those two for Grand Rapids. Then there's HopCat in GR, not so much their own beer, but a huge selection of national craft beers. Walking distance from Founders.

As for Kalamazoo, it's been a while, but I've always liked Olde Peninsula Brewpub, but I remember it more as a restaurant than a brewpub. Good beer, though, and it's walking distance from Bells.

A little further east is Arcadia and Dark Horse. I don't know how far you can make it, but I want to say Dark Horse is probably an hour away from Bells. But if you still have a little more time, I recommend Greenbush in Sawyer. Again, not exactly close, and in the opposite direction from Dark Horse, but a great selection of very good beers.

If you have any other questions, PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

http://www.mibeer.com/find-mi-beer

Arcadia actually just moved to Kalamazoo.

My Grand Rapids Order of Events are as follows; -I do this often on Saturdays. I usually walk everything.
First, Vivant then I walk to Founders (1.3 miles apart) 20 min walk.
Then I walk to Hopcat (.5 mile) 10 minutes
Then Grand Rapids Brewing company which is a couple of doors down from Hopcat.
At this point i've been to 4 breweries and i'm buzzed. Then my wife drives me home.
The walking seems to burn some of the calories i've consumed throughout the day. In my mind anyway.

I'll give a quick decipher of some of the places I've been to it helps a little. PM me if you have anymore questions.

GR

Founders- never eaten there but they have some stuff on tap that isn't found in stores if its your first time going to GR I say stop by just so you can see what they have.

Brewery Vivant- Cool place in an old church, if you like Belgians ya gotta stop by.

Harmony brewing- Little neighborhood place with great pizza and some good craft beer but small beer menu. I've been there a couple times where what they have on top online is out at the time.

Schmoz- Its like someones basement but they have good stuff on tap not a must hit if your limited time wise but a good beer place

The Hideout- My FAVORITE. Here's why. This is a beer drinkers place. Really no menu but 25 beers of diff types on tap at all times and they always have some real interesting stuff. Had a Blueberry Cobbler ale last time I was there and it tasted just like it described, they had a pickle ale that was gross to think of at first but really quite interesting and very drinkeable. Its an old bath house with a beir garden in the back, pretty much you go to drink craft beer and its worth it. I'll b going tomm actually to fill some mini growlers. Check their website and it gives their tap listing. A little off the beaten path but again if your a homebrewer you'll understand and like what this place is about.

Kzoo area:

Bells ofcourse again if you've never been just go they have a nice bier garden in the back that on a nice day is cool to hang out at.

Dark Horse Marshall Mi- Maybe 45 min E of Kzoo. They make awesome beer, have great food and another cool garden area to hang out in if the weathers fine.

I believe Arcadia is close, I think their original place is Battle Creek, they have good stuff too but I've never been there first hand.

Hope this helps a little and if you have any questions PM me.

If you have time take the 30 minute drive to the Lakeshore in Grand Haven. Go to Odd Side Ales. They rotate around 16 beers on tap. These are ususally pretty big beers such as imperial stouts, stouts, IPA's, II IPA's and everything in between etc. Nice place with really good beer.

Founders, of course - GR
Bells of Course - KZ
I am really liking the beers from Greenbush. It's out of the way, but the beer is excellent.
Same with Odd Side Ales. Not right close, but some very interesting beers.

You know what? I'll second The Hideout. It's a very interesting place and the beer is really good. It was once a swimming pool and hot tub party place. Like a club for swinging hot tubbers. Like a sex club with hot tubs... It's a bit sprawling, but very cool and they make some good beer there. I haven't been in like 2 years, so they may have gotten around to remodeling some more since then.

Brewery Vivant for Belgian ales.

There are lots more breweries to choose from. Those are some of the bigger ones. I have also been to Pike 51 in Hudsonville and thought it was pretty nice for a small place. White Flame was pretty good.

I'd like to recommend Perrin, but when we went there the parking lot was more than full, so we just continued on our brewery tour without stopping in. Having had some of their beer at festivals, I can say that the beer is pretty good.

New Holland is a great place to visit as well and they have some awesome beer and spirits, but they are also out of the way. If you can make it, try to get in on a tour on Saturday.

New Holland is a great and underrated brewery. They also do distilling. Their BA RIS "Dragon's Milk" kicks ass and it's easy to get in most of the Grand Rapids area.

Also to add to my other post if you go to New Holland and you like Bourbon def buy their beer aged bourbon. Its aged in the Dragons Milk barrels and is a really smooth flavourful easy drinking bourbon really good stuff.

Also to add to my other post if you go to New Holland and you like Bourbon def buy their beer aged bourbon. Its aged in the Dragons Milk barrels and is a really smooth flavourful easy drinking bourbon really good stuff.

Oh hell yes. This is some good stuff. I still have half a bottle of this from the last time I went to Michigan.

Kalamazoo is going to be the second day of a 4 day beercation starting thursday. Have 8 breweries slated to visit (including the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange) Ill update on Friday if you are going after that.

I just went kalamazo on a beergrimage last weekend. I'm from Ann Arbor. Bells has always been a favorite. On top of great beer. Their general store has a lot of homebrew stuff for cheap prices.

Latitude 42 had some good brews too. Red IPA was great. Gonzos is mediocore beers in a craft setting. It is completely skippable.

I stopped at an awesome bottle shop called Tiffany's wine and spirits. Great wine and beer selection. Build your own six pack from their huge singles section and get 10% off. Mystery 4.99 six packs too. Didn't buy one so not sure hoe decent the beers in them are.

I just went kalamazo on a beergrimage last weekend. I'm from Ann Arbor. Bells has always been a favorite. On top of great beer. Their general store has a lot of homebrew stuff for cheap prices.

Latitude 42 had some good brews too. Red IPA was great. Gonzos is mediocore beers in a craft setting. It is completely skippable.

I stopped at an awesome bottle shop called Tiffany's wine and spirits. Great wine and beer selection. Build your own six pack from their huge singles section and get 10% off. Mystery 4.99 six packs too. Didn't buy one so not sure hoe decent the beers in them are.

Did you hit Rupert's? If so what did you think?

Latest posts

Back