Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your boil off changes with air temp and stuff to. i just shut my boil down at 6 gallons by using the grainfathers marks (best thing ever).

i dont use beersmiths numbers anymore its always different.

on another note ive been having issues with my pump sometimes and i think its mainly just due to crap accumulating on the little barrel filter. the holes are the exact size for a rice hull to fit in it, anytime i use rice hulls i have pump issues, which are easy to solve by back flushing the pump and it blows all the crap off the filter tube.

your boil off changes with air temp and stuff to. i just shut my boil down at 6 gallons by using the grainfathers marks (best thing ever).

i dont use beersmiths numbers anymore its always different.

on another note ive been having issues with my pump sometimes and i think its mainly just due to crap accumulating on the little barrel filter. the holes are the exact size for a rice hull to fit in it, anytime i use rice hulls i have pump issues, which are easy to solve by back flushing the pump and it blows all the crap off the filter tube.
I just took my grain father all the way apart because my pump was clogging. Worked flawlessly after last brew day with a full pound of hulls in the grist
IMG_20180819_115341_265.jpeg

Is anyone having issues hitting final gravity? I’ve been brewing all grain for about 6 years with cooler mash tun and batch sparge. I was always within a point or 2 from fg on the couple hundred brews I did over that time, some high, some low, most, spot on. Since getting the grainfather in the spring, all 6 brews I’ve done on it are always 5 points high on gravity, it’s scary how consistently high I am. Now I haven’t tested my hydrometer lately, but with the care I take of it and only using it for FG, makes me think it couldn’t have changed.

I do notice a residual sweetness on recipes I have re-brewed with the GF that wasn’t there with my old system. I have triple checked mash temps with Three thermometers I know are spot on and everything is in line. I’ve used different yeasts, different batches of grain and different mash temps. I guess the only variable I haven’t looked into is mash ph, because over 6 years in the past, it was never an issue.

Anyways just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. It’s not the end of the world and I can adjust recipes going forward, just odd how consistently off this is since switching to the GF.

Hey guys,quick question regarding adjusting mash ph with the Grainfather. Curious as to your method of adding gypsum or any other additions to raise/lower mash PH.Seems like you will have to remove top plate,add additions,stir and then replace top plate. Or can you simply dump additions in above top perforated plate while recirculatin

Is anyone having issues hitting final gravity? I’ve been brewing all grain for about 6 years with cooler mash tun and batch sparge. I was always within a point or 2 from fg on the couple hundred brews I did over that time, some high, some low, most, spot on. Since getting the grainfather in the spring, all 6 brews I’ve done on it are always 5 points high on gravity, it’s scary how consistently high I am. Now I haven’t tested my hydrometer lately, but with the care I take of it and only using it for FG, makes me think it couldn’t have changed.

I do notice a residual sweetness on recipes I have re-brewed with the GF that wasn’t there with my old system. I have triple checked mash temps with Three thermometers I know are spot on and everything is in line. I’ve used different yeasts, different batches of grain and different mash temps. I guess the only variable I haven’t looked into is mash ph, because over 6 years in the past, it was never an issue.

Anyways just wondering if anyone has any thoughts. It’s not the end of the world and I can adjust recipes going forward, just odd how consistently off this is since switching to the GF.
Sounds like you're getting a better efficiency with the grainfather than your prior system. You probably just need to plan for that.

Hey guys,quick question regarding adjusting mash ph with the Grainfather. Curious as to your method of adding gypsum or any other additions to raise/lower mash PH.Seems like you will have to remove top plate,add additions,stir and then replace top plate. Or can you simply dump additions in above top perforated plate while recirculatin
I add it to the strike water before I add my gain.

Sounds like you're getting a better efficiency with the grainfather than your prior system. You probably just need to plan for that.

I should have mentioned, my OG numbers have not changed. I even over pitched the last beer I just kegged today, fearing something was off there. It was in primary for 3 weeks and another 6 days after dry hop. Granted, the GF is different than my cooler set up, but my numbers for OG, have been spot on the last 3 brews. It’s not like I’m getting 1.080 when expecting 1.070. This past brew expected OG was 1.067 and my actual OG was 1.067.

As I said, I’ll work to adjust going forward, but I’m I’m just trying to figure out where to go from here. I’ve tried 3 step mashes, 2 step mashes and single mash. Aiming for 148 degrees. I’ve even done a 90 minute single mash and in the end, 5 points high. I will double check my hydrometer, but it matches my refractometer for OG, so it’s doubtful it is off.

I was just hoping someone had experienced this and could say, “Try this...”

I should have mentioned, my OG numbers have not changed. I even over pitched the last beer I just kegged today, fearing something was off there. It was in primary for 3 weeks and another 6 days after dry hop. Granted, the GF is different than my cooler set up, but my numbers for OG, have been spot on the last 3 brews. It’s not like I’m getting 1.080 when expecting 1.070. This past brew expected OG was 1.067 and my actual OG was 1.067.

As I said, I’ll work to adjust going forward, but I’m I’m just trying to figure out where to go from here. I’ve tried 3 step mashes, 2 step mashes and single mash. Aiming for 148 degrees. I’ve even done a 90 minute single mash and in the end, 5 points high. I will double check my hydrometer, but it matches my refractometer for OG, so it’s doubtful it is off.

I was just hoping someone had experienced this and could say, “Try this...”
I think i had a similar issue at the begining when i was setting my srike temp 5*f over mash temp. I have started mashing in at mash temps and giving it and extra 10 minutes to even out the temps. Not sure if this applies to you, but i have gotten my fg back where it belongs.

I think i had a similar issue at the begining when i was setting my srike temp 5*f over mash temp. I have started mashing in at mash temps and giving it and extra 10 minutes to even out the temps. Not sure if this applies to you, but i have gotten my fg back where it belongs.

Haven’t thought of this. I do mash in at mash temp, but I just go once mashed in. I’ll try to 10 minute wait and see if that helps, thanks for the input!

I assume you get your calculations from Beersmith or something similar.

If this was directed at me, I do get them from
Beersmith. If this an issue with the grainfather and FG, I’m all ears. I don’t see how the same recipe, adjusted for the GF from a cooler mash tun would change the FG, but I would love to know if, how and why it would since I hit my numbers spot on from before.

That’s why I’m looking for any info. If I use the same grain bill, the same mash temp (checked with multiple known to be accurate thermometers), hit my numbers for OG, and use the same yeast with correct pitching rate and ferment at the same temperatures, the only variable left I can think of is something with the change in brewing equipment.

I’m not even willing to blame the GF, it could be me, just wondering if anyone else has gotten the same result I have.

I have even brewed the same recipe twice with the GF using a different brand of yeast to see if a bad yeast batch was the issue, but still ended up 5 points higher.

With all that being said, if I have to adjust something to get to my wanted FG, what should that adjustment be? Lower mash temp, higher mash temp, longer mash? At this point, I’m just looking for advice on where to start making an adjustment. I don’t want to change the whole process without a step by step to try and nail down the culprit.

How much temp drift do you have during the mash(when the element kicks in does it over shoot the set temp?)maybe try a degree cooler to get a more fermentable wort

@Clonefan94

I came from a 10 gallon cooler myself and I've been getting more attenuation than anticipated every time (dryer, higher alcohol than expected).

I increased my mash temps by 1 degree (Fahrenheit) for today's brew hoping to hit my numbers.

Maybe check your pH? It's been different for me vs. the cooler with the same recipe (can't remember if it's been higher or lower anymore).

If you are unsure whether the mash temp. is held by the Grainfather during recirculation, take a thermometer and check what is the actual temperature of the wort coming out of the pump. The wort will definitely be warmer at the bottom of the grainfather, under the basket, where the probe is located.

If you are getting much higher attenuation, I would adjust the mash temperature by 2, maybe 3 degrees Celsius. ( what's that in F ---> around 3-4 degrees more )

You could also use a less attenuating yeast, to counteract the low mash temp.

I've found the temp at the top to consistently match the temp on the control box. Which makes sense since the wort underneath is being pumped to the top.

I've found the same thing at over 50 batches with the Grainfather, but then why would Hop experience higher attenuation? But granted, there can be other things that came into play...

I've found the same thing at over 50 batches with the Grainfather, but then why would Hop experience higher attenuation? But granted, there can be other things that came into play...
I was reading a thread about pH in the science forum. 80% of it was over my head. But there was some discussion about when to measure pH, and relatedly (or not relatedly, depending on who you ask) when conversion occurs. Seems like much of the conversion happens in the first 10 minutes.

That got me thinking about the brulosophy mash temp experiment where nobody could tell the difference between beers mashed at vastly different temps. It made no sense to me because the science must be right. But what if it just took them 5 or 10 minutes to settle at the target mash temp? They may not have really mashed at the temp they thought they did.

Before I had a GF, I did single infusion mash temps in a cooler without recirculating. I frequently over/undershot my mash temp and adjusted. On the other end, I'd typically lose 2 degrees over the course of the mash. But smetimes the temp would then hold for an hour, sometimes I'd lose 6 degrees. If I didn't stir really well, I'd have hot and cold spots, too. Even when I did my best to address these things, there's still so much potential for error. My thermopen is accurate but it only tells me what's happening in the top 4 inches if the mash, and only when I opened my tun to check, which I did as infrequently as possible.

Now with the GF, I mash in at the correct temp, and at worst I see it drop by 1 degree for 2 minutes. And the recirculation should keep it even.

I don't know what the cause is. But my maybe he's just hitting his mash temps for the first time.

It would help to know more about the recipes, yeast, mash temps, fermentation temp/length, OG and FGs.

If he is mashing west coast ipas at 154 and his FGs were around 1.007 and now are 1.012, I'd say he's hitting his mash temps for the first time. But if he's mashing ipas at 148, used to end at 1.012 but is now ending at 1.017, that would suggest a very different problem.

Last edited:
I'm amazed every time I brew with this thing. The simplicity of the process and ease of cleaning make for a real enjoyable brew day.

But I may have to put a post-it note on my GF to remind me to attach the pump filter before filling and heating the water...
I do it all the time too. Then drain and refill at 145*f lol

This may have been discussed here before, but any one else conditioning their grains? Ive been milling at .026 and recirculating at full speed without hitting the overflow pipe.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/2010/01/16/malt-conditioning/
I condition, crush at 0.032, throw in some rice hulls, and generally shoot for a thin mash of about 1.75qt/lb. I still can't go fully open without going down the overflow.

If I'm not using wheat or flaked stuff, I can open most of the way. But if I make a hefe or something like that I have to throttle it significantly.

I have a beer i brew a lot that is 33% rye. Total malt is 10.75lb i condition the barley and throw .5lb rice hulls. Even mill the rye to .026 and the recirc is perfect. I use 1.8 qt h2o to 1 lb grain in the mash

Hey guys, i just picked up a second hand Grainfather. I've read a lot of this thread but not all of it. My wife and i have just moved into a new home and i haven't set up the brewery yet and i'm looking for advice.

I'll have a corner of the basement near a laundry sink. I was thinking i need a low platform for the GF to sit on, maybe 12-14" high and a countertop next to that. If you had a blank slate how would you set up your brewing area. What works...what would you like to change...

I'll need to incorporate a ventilation system of some sort. I'd love your comments on that as well.

Thanks!

Hey guys, i just picked up a second hand Grainfather. I've read a lot of this thread but not all of it. My wife and i have just moved into a new home and i haven't set up the brewery yet and i'm looking for advice.

I'll have a corner of the basement near a laundry sink. I was thinking i need a low platform for the GF to sit on, maybe 12-14" high and a countertop next to that. If you had a blank slate how would you set up your brewing area. What works...what would you like to change...

I'll need to incorporate a ventilation system of some sort. I'd love your comments on that as well.

Thanks!
My opinion: put it on a rolling flower pot base.. thing. Don't put it up on anything high.
The flowerpot thing can be rolled around *carefully* if needed when there is liquid in it. I do not recommend this, but I've had to; on several occasions...
If the unit is elevated, it makes it a tip-over hazard AND you'll have a heck of a time lifting the basket full of wort soaked grains.
I leave mine on the rolly pot thing, heat up sparge water, transfer to orange igloo water cooler, heat strike water, do the thing. Then when I sparge, I put a ladder next to the GF and put the cooler up on the little shelf thing, it's the perfect height (i think it's a 5' ladder?), then lift the basket up and sparge from the cooler. The thing is pretty tall with the basket raised, so take that into account if you're going to put it up on something.

Thanks!

I have mine next to a utility sink in the basement. Makes cooling and cleaning a breeze. I agree that elevating your GF is not the best because it's tougher to lift the basket (also a hazard). Mine is on the floor.

Good advice, thanks guys.
That's pretty cool, i'l look for one of these, thanks.

This is the one I'm using: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Patio-Life-16-in-L-x-16-in-D-x-3-5-in-H-Resin-Plant-Caddy/999979008
it has a lip around the edge, it helps keep the GF on it. And the little grooves and stuff in the bottom will help collect drips. Cutting the center out would have been a good idea, I should have done that (doesn't matter anymore, I took the reset switch out).

Is anyone having trouble with the "brew recipe" function of the online recipe builder? On any of my recipes that I try to start a brew session with, it doubles or triples the grain weight and then gives crazy mash and sparge water volumes. For example, my recipe shows 13.5 pounds total grain weight and when I go to brew the recipe, it fills in the grain weight as 29.58 pounds. It happens on every one of my recipes even ones that I have brewed before with no issues. I've tried to contact Grainfather but I have not heard back yet.

Is anyone having trouble with the "brew recipe" function of the online recipe builder? On any of my recipes that I try to start a brew session with, it doubles or triples the grain weight and then gives crazy mash and sparge water volumes. For example, my recipe shows 13.5 pounds total grain weight and when I go to brew the recipe, it fills in the grain weight as 29.58 pounds. It happens on every one of my recipes even ones that I have brewed before with no issues. I've tried to contact Grainfather but I have not heard back yet.
I have not seen that. Maybe double check that you're building the recipe in the correct measurement system?

The customer service person couldn't figure it out so she sent the issue to the developers but I haven't heard back yet. She said that she has never seen this issue before and the same thing happened on her end when she downloaded my recipe. At least I'm able to see the correct mash and water volumes on the app on my iphone.

just checking in, grainfather working perfect every weekend as usual. did a lacto sour in it, held it at 90f for a couple days, never missed a beat outside in the cold.

Brewed last night.

Looks like the iOS app has updated.

First inkling something was up was when I got nine notifications about the delayed heating starting. Other notifications between once and nine times.
I couldn't find quick profiles in the app anymore either, had to build a recipe. Couldn't figure out the whirlpool setting so just did that manually. Brew session went fine in the end.

I'm sure my problem is specific to my account. It started after I copied a recipe so I could change things on it while keeping the original recipe the same. It is now the weekend in NZ so I'm sure I won't hear anything until next week.

Back