Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone brewed small batches in the GF? 3 gallon

Yes, I do all the time. I don't use the micro pipework. I just use the calculator on the website for my water, and I mash an extra gallon and subtract it from my sparge water. I also don't use the top plate. I just recirc onto the grainbed. Works well for me.

Yes, I do all the time. I don't use the micro pipework. I just use the calculator on the website for my water, and I mash an extra gallon and subtract it from my sparge water. I also don't use the top plate. I just recirc onto the grainbed. Works well for me.

No Top Plate? where do you sit your overflow pipe then? or do you have it high enough to prevent any overflow?

Me too. Beer still tastes great, no change in effeciency - 85% ish.

Makes a nice short brew day too.

How does it shorten your brew day? I'd expect the opposite since your introducing much colder water than existing wort temp and if you heat up sparge water during mash you don't add time for that step.

It's simpler, but not a time saver. A no sparge could save a few minutes and be simpler. May try that, though I really don't mind the sparge and will like it whenever I get my act together and auto-sparge.

Brewed my first batch last night and went off without a hitch. Gravities were a couple points lower than expected but the final volume was a bit higher so that explains that. Did a cold sparge and it flowed through really well so it only took maybe 10 minutes tops. Can't wait to taste the result!

From what I understand, once the new controller hits the US it will be a standard item. Expect new grainfathers to go up in price to reflect the new controller.

For me the integration with the new recipe software and remote management and control are useful.

Yesterday I was brewing while putting kids to bed. Would have been great to get system to almost a boil while rocking the little one.

Rocking the little one? You're supposed to vorlauf the little one!🤓[emoji13][emoji482]

my co-brewer and I have basically decided to invest in one of these here shortly. Cant wait. We have been kind of slow brewing what with him brewing kids instead of beer and finishing his masters. But hes done making kids and finished his degree which means more time to make beer!

Im also tired of having to brew in my garage / outside.. it cold / there are bugs / or its hot. This thing kind of reminds me of a baby version of one ive used professionally lol. I think ill love this thing when we can shuffle our brewing budget around to get one. We are also going stainless for the fermentors first as well. we both dont feel safe using the glass carboys anymore.

nWAFo8i.jpg

What the hell are you talking about Sea??! :) Nope, no sliding up (or down for that matter). Just tighten up those wings, should be good to go.

What do you mean? Ply/push the wings in?

My O-ring keeps falling off the top plate i believe thats the problem, its the only thing that has changed. I plan on getting some silicone before next brew to keep the 0-ring in place.

Maybe i shouldn't of taken the seal off the plate all the time - to clean. Its stretched i assume.

my co-brewer and I have basically decided to invest in one of these here shortly. Cant wait. We have been kind of slow brewing what with him brewing kids instead of beer and finishing his masters. But hes done making kids and finished his degree which means more time to make beer!

Im also tired of having to brew in my garage / outside.. it cold / there are bugs / or its hot. This thing kind of reminds me of a baby version of one ive used professionally lol. I think ill love this thing when we can shuffle our brewing budget around to get one. We are also going stainless for the fermentors first as well. we both dont feel safe using the glass carboys anymore.

nWAFo8i.jpg

Interesting are you bending all the SS tubing yourself? I would assume so. I used to do that kind of work.

has anyone brewed small batches in the GF? 3 gallon

I have also used the normal pipework to make a handful of 3 gallon batches, but I do use the top plate. I just turn the pump valve down so that the flow is slow enough that not too much water winds up on top of the top plate (to avoid having too little water beneath the grain basket). All the re-circ'ed water winds up draining back through the top plate/grain bed and not through the center pipe (which is too high up with a small grain bill).

It's worked out for me so far, always hitting my target gravities within a point or two.

Spoke to this before...I made a Reflectix one and it was fine. I did however but a GF jacket when it became available. Why put an old ragged coat on a classy chassis? Wear the tuxedo for a few extra bucks. It will help protect it as well.

it is definitely worth it. I also made a reflectix jacket and while it is certainly cheaper, the graincoat is ALOT easier to keep clean.

Has anyone downloaded the new app and was able to upload a beersmith file?

It worked for me on my iPad - that is, I was able to send myself a Beer XML file exported from Beersmith and then open it in the Grainfather Connect app - but it failed to work on my Android phone last night and today - I kept getting a 'screen overlay detected' error report.

Mine just starts the app and stays that way. Thanks, I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/category-s/411.htm

59.99 CAD, right in your province. Get the tuxedo. You wont regret it.

This is also the best place I've found to get parts for a grainfather, as they literally have everything that could break for sale. Other places have -some- parts, but not the selection of this place.

Hi Bud. This is where I purchased my grainfather. Best deal in the country.

is the grain coat worth it?

I don't think it is worth it. I made a reflectix cover for mine. No problems keeping it clean. I pull it off after the boil every time. Takes 30 seconds to put on and about 5 to take off.

With the 20 dollar roll, I had enough extra for an 8 gallon pot and for a barrier around my Weber smokey mountain smoker.

I don't think it is worth it. I made a reflectix cover for mine. No problems keeping it clean. I pull it off after the boil every time. Takes 30 seconds to put on and about 5 to take off.

With the 20 dollar roll, I had enough extra for an 8 gallon pot and for a barrier around my Weber smokey mountain smoker.

$50 after spending $800-1K...?🤔[emoji15]

I would say I love the Grainfather for how easy it is to use, but my pump died while cleaning the Grainfather after the first use. Not terrible impressed with the build quality right now.

I would say I love the Grainfather for how easy it is to use, but my pump died while cleaning the Grainfather after the first use. Not terrible impressed with the build quality right now.
I agree with @elproducto, that doesn't sound normal. Did you contact the folks at GF? If it died after the first use, I'm sure they would be more than happy to make it right. Ed
:mug:

thats what warranties are for. My first GF came with a slight dent, and a new one was received less than a week later.

Back