Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking the horse is out of the barn here...GF is releasing a simple plug and play controller upgrade that will do what most people here want/care about - if they choose to upgrade at all. Could this arduino unit be cheaper and more easily controllable than the GF unit? Possibly more tweakable but at the end if the day, it will boil down to price/timing and I know where my money's going. Not wanting to be a party pooper though! :-0

Hi
I didn't run a full feature comparison with the new controller upgrade from GF (I see just some video preview) and for sure I expect they did a great job either on the HW and the SW also become they come after a series of other aftermarket controllers...so they have time to study :)

In term of feature and functions I suggest to have a look to SmartPID web site and also to some video done with simulator that provide you full picture on how the brewing process has been automated in all details.. I think there are some feature like data logging either via USB or via web/smartphone, recipe management etc.. that could make the difference

homebrewing-application-features.png

SamrtPID moreover is no just brewing process automation...is a multi-application platform and you can install an run a smart thermostat for thermostatic control of you fermentation chamber etc. etc..

smartpid-features.png

SmartPID is not and “arduino DIY kit” is a ready made PRODUCT..It has been designed by a maker and diy enthusiast for the maker and homebrewer community so by definition is tweak and programmable and is off course 100% arduino compatible

About cost...working hard with manufacturer to kee it affordable for consumer and DIY market...It will no cheap as STC1000 but it will not cost a fortune like Siemens PLC :)

enjoy
arzaman

Hi

I didn't run a full feature comparison with the new controller upgrade from GF (I see just some video preview) and for sure I expect they did a great job either on the HW and the SW also become they come after a series of other aftermarket controllers...so they have time to study :)

In term of feature and functions I suggest to have a look to SmartPID web site and also to some video done with simulator that provide you full picture on how the brewing process has been automated in all details.. I think there are some feature like data logging either via USB or via web/smartphone, recipe management etc.. that could make the difference

homebrewing-application-features.png

SamrtPID moreover is no just brewing process automation...is a multi-application platform and you can install an run a smart thermostat for thermostatic control of you fermentation chamber etc. etc..

smartpid-features.png

SmartPID is not and “arduino DIY kit” is a ready made PRODUCT..It has been designed by a maker and diy enthusiast for the maker and homebrewer community so by definition is tweak and programmable and is off course 100% arduino compatible

About cost...working hard with manufacturer to kee it affordable for consumer and DIY market...It will no cheap as STC1000 but it will not cost a fortune like Siemens PLC :)

enjoy

arzaman

Thanks for the work on this. If it's a plug and play controller out of the box and user friendly, it looks like a viable - and powerful - alternative to the upgraded GF controller. And if the price point is say, half of the GF upgrade, then it's definitely an attractive one. Competitive options such as what you propose are great for all of us. When do you see this controller being available, arzaman?

Did a bit of searching and this may very well be in the massive thread somewhere but didn't see it.

After my boil I turned the pump on to recirculate for 10 minutes to sanitize the chiller. Heard some air going into the wort and then it plugged. Could see a chunk of stuff in the clear tubing of the recirculation arm. Took the arm off to try and shake it out, put it back on still plugged. Squeezed the tubing and turned the pump off and on and managed to get it unplugged. Suppose I could just have rinsed out the recirculation arm but didn't want to introduce tap water to it at that point - guess it was still hot enough to kill anything. Once it was unplugged all was fine including subsequent transfer.

Anyway, felt I got lucky this time but I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with a blockage say in the chiller itself (or generally from the filter and up). Only had 4 oz. of hops in this batch.

Thanks!

Did a bit of searching and this may very well be in the massive thread somewhere but didn't see it.

After my boil I turned the pump on to recirculate for 10 minutes to sanitize the chiller. Heard some air going into the wort and then it plugged. Could see a chunk of stuff in the clear tubing of the recirculation arm. Took the arm off to try and shake it out, put it back on still plugged. Squeezed the tubing and turned the pump off and on and managed to get it unplugged. Suppose I could just have rinsed out the recirculation arm but didn't want to introduce tap water to it at that point - guess it was still hot enough to kill anything. Once it was unplugged all was fine including subsequent transfer.

Anyway, felt I got lucky this time but I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with a blockage say in the chiller itself (or generally from the filter and up). Only had 4 oz. of hops in this batch.

Thanks!
Ya big down fall of the grain father is blockage. I've learned my lesson the hard way already... make sure your whirlpooling for a couple minutes after the boil when the wort is still hot to get a nice tight trub cone in the middle. I use a hop spider for my pellet hops or you could go the cheaper route and get a couple of paint strainer bags from homedepot/lowes and use those. I may actually switch back to strainer bags since my disappointed in my spider right now.

Ya big down fall of the grain father is blockage. I've learned my lesson the hard way already... make sure your whirlpooling for a couple minutes after the boil when the wort is still hot to get a nice tight trub cone in the middle. I use a hop spider for my pellet hops or you could go the cheaper route and get a couple of paint strainer bags from homedepot/lowes and use those. I may actually switch back to strainer bags since my disappointed in my spider right now.

Thanks! I have a hop spider, and I think I've used it once with the GF. Much rather not use it if I can get away with it. Have yet to whirlpool and will do that on the next batch.

Be careful not to hit the pump filter when whirlpooling. . It's easy to detach. I have the filter off several times.

Be careful not to hit the pump filter when whirlpooling. . It's easy to detach. I have the filter off several times.

For sure. Yesterday I flipped it like other people have so the rubber cap is against the probe. Will definitely be careful to not touch it at all when stirring for a whirlpool.

So I set up my grainfather last night for first cleaning and the set button on the temperature controller doesn't seem to work. I can hold it down as long as I like and nothing happens. I tried holding the up and down arrows to see if I could get any reaction and no luck there either. Temp shows fine and changes appropriately. It is a US version. Is there some way to reset the controller or something? Anyone else had this issue? I have sent a note to grainfather as well.

So I set up my grainfather last night for first cleaning and the set button on the temperature controller doesn't seem to work. I can hold it down as long as I like and nothing happens. I tried holding the up and down arrows to see if I could get any reaction and no luck there either. Temp shows fine and changes appropriately. It is a US version. Is there some way to reset the controller or something? Anyone else had this issue? I have sent a note to grainfather as well.
Do you mean that when you set the temp the element isn't turning on and heating up? If so there is a reset button underneath the unit. Just flip it on it's side and hold it down for a couple seconds.

No, it heats up if on boil, but the temp controller won't let me change the set temp. I have a spare STC-1000 I think, so I am going to try wiring that in unless I hear from Grainfather of another route. I plan to upgrade to the new controller, so replacing it seems a waste and I have grains standing by!

No, it heats up if on boil, but the temp controller won't let me change the set temp. I have a spare STC-1000 I think, so I am going to try wiring that in unless I hear from Grainfather of another route. I plan to upgrade to the new controller, so replacing it seems a waste and I have grains standing by!

I had similar issue after I messed up the settings when trying to changing temperature unit and other parameters. GF sent me a replacement and told me not to do that again. The controller is a backup for me because I have built a WiFi-enabled, automatic, ArdBir-like controller.

Figured it out. I was going to swap out the temp controller and when I took the old one out the face plate was detached.
0467E8F8-7D80-4964-BF8E-945CF94FF15F.jpg
Not sure how well it shows in this picture, but the wrinkle in the sticker when I clicked it back suggests it might have been that way from the factory. The temp would not set because I was not actually reaching the button on the main body of the temp controller. Seems to work fine now!

Grainfather did respond as well. I let them know what the issue ultimately was. I am pretty sure they won't suggest this fix though, so in case anyone finds a similar issue and is comfortable taking out a few screws (and probably voiding your warranty) this might do the trick.

So I'm planning on getting myself one of these for Christmas, hoping to see some sort of a sale or deal here near the holidays. Any thoughts on the best places to keep an eye on that might have a sale? Are they currently available with the new controller or is that only an add on feature?

So I'm planning on getting myself one of these for Christmas, hoping to see some sort of a sale or deal here near the holidays. Any thoughts on the best places to keep an eye on that might have a sale? Are they currently available with the new controller or is that only an add on feature?

Signup for emails on the grainfather website. Last year they had 10% off everything and free shipping on Black Friday. That's how I got mine. I got the grainfather, grain coat and sparge water heater.

Used the micro pipe works for a 3 gallon smash about 2 weeks back and it worked out great. 6lbs of 2-row and simcoe. It is tasting pretty good now, but can't wait for it to carb up. The OG was ~1.044.

NSUD4kMcYaUOeCO-wcnyyy4Aqbaw41FJ2HG5T4TW_VpME13JjVlICtCteS8lrhEu7f0GdP2H-OMxYi3z5dB-CUGUm6vy7djUmsPfg_jq72NgEfBQLSh5qHMTHm_P2ImE64EgwwM19czGeZXnydtotX6bkZ_PPR9D0Qf2E6VYZXXeglb0kcl55Cww5O6g08KxOMr982PaZauCMcOnIBTNrzQlMh0cytpbuLvaaGppVH1yP9Rzi8zLUJR6Bd8nvOuhvhir4Qi22UNDCrU2MBIlT6qArBpTEPotrtzVgyHGK_7o3YDRNSsdpxPW5uLZ7YX6IuNxPzdotpKksKAoIfeqNtQ78ZDj4liQ9zwcaKHfu_fg3gURQc1DKEGc28Nx_WBCC2HZIOGh_16eI7aTLXxV_McUEEBTRiWF8xR6XwPJhes2K4QDCdNIAfSVly51uOHHiuKUVuAIlhjDGEjiObHLqOyPO6BxkSROljdAATpOEyGdjj8W_7O-y3H5klX0s99MkL9nWRiu8dlmFFn8jksxMf0719tQDcReNex8aQmlfXB5Y4eA9yBR1jCvgvN7mKIYVoaJDPvDxc4DHE_kZImwB2LiGEIbJk4H-G33h7DZ36D8Ee6B=w690-h800-no

BzFV-NNdUL98hyTKaqUJxsHP-ORYRdykeiOfHTxKxYr8iK4zzi_lLAlmpMr5ZgF2dsPYHcfaWNfAiFk4d4OeJhoxggzbqREXmx-BA9BvJ1Fc0lb-QRBXP1fmGNStcH8bLUv1qBtcdBP2YgED_UGuhUn11uxVpZDJXi20rHNAvo2t4gL7L5SNC5_TFnrCcY1tcYqCBn0RGx5XlyKI-JlWqX9c725H4nWicZS2lphL8XYhVVgLOI6JGFYjFohGokh49tu92uRRSNb8U2qK2MIPI8hYksb7daidQCbTqoh2yEnV3mMRRTSCjJAuFkGw_wArI7feN-r5j74FiWhy_lW8vfiI8d5OdW5IQRH6XUBBjc06CrNHQt8y66IoIm4RkEF6IhqBx35YnskZRBppLuh3Bzjv52g5RG3duwtObQ4meeL0yi10u7Ryrneho-CBfEJDCociwfCNBM_8owvGtsVrpFhIzmXcsElGYH3Rs75w61O5iS9d-grGvoOGue1nv5VnhKrikjfEbKMnRPmuXtd0Z77f9RByezPwJF-1dr32hfCujuWPskQmhe1LTLwdyjRkEN2yaGZ3QuY0FtZJbLOja6rLwwlWiRC2YWwEvHX3JgWXtZae=w552-h616-no

Signup for emails from homebrewsupply.com That's where I got mine with a 15% coupon a few months ago.

Used the micro pipe works for a 3 gallon smash about 2 weeks back and it worked out great. 6lbs of 2-row and simcoe. It is tasting pretty good now, but can't wait for it to carb up. The OG was ~1.044.

NSUD4kMcYaUOeCO-wcnyyy4Aqbaw41FJ2HG5T4TW_VpME13JjVlICtCteS8lrhEu7f0GdP2H-OMxYi3z5dB-CUGUm6vy7djUmsPfg_jq72NgEfBQLSh5qHMTHm_P2ImE64EgwwM19czGeZXnydtotX6bkZ_PPR9D0Qf2E6VYZXXeglb0kcl55Cww5O6g08KxOMr982PaZauCMcOnIBTNrzQlMh0cytpbuLvaaGppVH1yP9Rzi8zLUJR6Bd8nvOuhvhir4Qi22UNDCrU2MBIlT6qArBpTEPotrtzVgyHGK_7o3YDRNSsdpxPW5uLZ7YX6IuNxPzdotpKksKAoIfeqNtQ78ZDj4liQ9zwcaKHfu_fg3gURQc1DKEGc28Nx_WBCC2HZIOGh_16eI7aTLXxV_McUEEBTRiWF8xR6XwPJhes2K4QDCdNIAfSVly51uOHHiuKUVuAIlhjDGEjiObHLqOyPO6BxkSROljdAATpOEyGdjj8W_7O-y3H5klX0s99MkL9nWRiu8dlmFFn8jksxMf0719tQDcReNex8aQmlfXB5Y4eA9yBR1jCvgvN7mKIYVoaJDPvDxc4DHE_kZImwB2LiGEIbJk4H-G33h7DZ36D8Ee6B=w690-h800-no

BzFV-NNdUL98hyTKaqUJxsHP-ORYRdykeiOfHTxKxYr8iK4zzi_lLAlmpMr5ZgF2dsPYHcfaWNfAiFk4d4OeJhoxggzbqREXmx-BA9BvJ1Fc0lb-QRBXP1fmGNStcH8bLUv1qBtcdBP2YgED_UGuhUn11uxVpZDJXi20rHNAvo2t4gL7L5SNC5_TFnrCcY1tcYqCBn0RGx5XlyKI-JlWqX9c725H4nWicZS2lphL8XYhVVgLOI6JGFYjFohGokh49tu92uRRSNb8U2qK2MIPI8hYksb7daidQCbTqoh2yEnV3mMRRTSCjJAuFkGw_wArI7feN-r5j74FiWhy_lW8vfiI8d5OdW5IQRH6XUBBjc06CrNHQt8y66IoIm4RkEF6IhqBx35YnskZRBppLuh3Bzjv52g5RG3duwtObQ4meeL0yi10u7Ryrneho-CBfEJDCociwfCNBM_8owvGtsVrpFhIzmXcsElGYH3Rs75w61O5iS9d-grGvoOGue1nv5VnhKrikjfEbKMnRPmuXtd0Z77f9RByezPwJF-1dr32hfCujuWPskQmhe1LTLwdyjRkEN2yaGZ3QuY0FtZJbLOja6rLwwlWiRC2YWwEvHX3JgWXtZae=w552-h616-no

Pictures no worky

Thanks guys, I will look at both of those sources. I did see someone has one on ebay for the normal price but you get a free hop spider and graincoat with it, I'm just a little skeptical about buying from ebay. Plus I don't know where that would put me as far as the warranty goes. It does say it is new and they appear to have pretty good feedback though. Plus it is free shipping...

Thanks guys, I will look at both of those sources. I did see someone has one on ebay for the normal price but you get a free hop spider and graincoat with it, I'm just a little skeptical about buying from ebay. Plus I don't know where that would put me as far as the warranty goes. It does say it is new and they appear to have pretty good feedback though. Plus it is free shipping...

I've never had any real issues buying via eBay...including a $50000 truck and a $20K motorcycle. Exercise due diligence and you'll be fine...

Go to eBay. Igobru or something like that is retailer who will accept between 700-750. I'd offer 700. Free shipping and he has great ratings.

Have you found a lower extract efficiency when using the micro pipework?

A buddy of mine bought the micro pipework and when we brewed a side by side batch of Fresh Squeezed clone - me a full 5 gal batch and he a 2.5 gallon batch on the micro pipework - his OG was significantly lower than mine.

Been following this thread for a while. Do you guys add in the pound of rice hulls into your grain calculations for water?

Ex: 11lbs of grain 1lb of rice hulls = 12lbs of grain into the grainfather water calculator?

I've been doing this and I feel like my water levels have been off, then I recently switched to using beersmiths grain totals and the numbers were WAY off for mash and sparge last batch. Any advice welcome! Solid advice in this thread start to finish. Helped make my purchase easier!

Been following this thread for a while. Do you guys add in the pound of rice hulls into your grain calculations for water?

Ex: 11lbs of grain 1lb of rice hulls = 12lbs of grain into the grainfather water calculator?

I've been doing this and I feel like my water levels have been off, then I recently switched to using beersmiths grain totals and the numbers were WAY off for mash and sparge last batch. Any advice welcome! Solid advice in this thread start to finish. Helped make my purchase easier!
I've used BeerSmith for years and couldn't get it to work with the gf, my water calcs were off. I still use it for everything but calculating water.

You shouldn't need more than 5% of rice hulls in your recipe, even then that's a bit much. You can account for some absorption rate but it's not as high as grain.

Short answer, yes. I did for a 50% Wheat bill and used 1/2# of rice hulls, so total grist for water calc was 11# instead of 10.5 Difference though is ~1/2 L of water, so quite negligible. Also noticed it was a bit too much of hulls (as Colbizle's point above, no need for that much rice hulls). Next time I will back it down to 1/4# of hulls, and at that point, in or out won't matter for water calc.

Short answer, yes. I did for a 50% Wheat bill and used 1/2# of rice hulls, so total grist for water calc was 11# instead of 10.5 Difference though is ~1/2 L of water, so quite negligible. Also noticed it was a bit too much of hulls (as Colbizle's point above, no need for that much rice hulls). Next time I will back it down to 1/4# of hulls, and at that point, in or out won't matter for water calc.

Awesome! 1/2lb it is! Thanks guys! You think using a high percentage of flaked oats (17%) makes a difference with rice hull quantity? Thanks again!

Awesome! 1/2lb it is! Thanks guys! You think using a high percentage of flaked oats (17%) makes a difference with rice hull quantity? Thanks again!

Definitely, IMHO. I have found that more rice hulls are better than less in recipes with a lot of flaked oats. Think of how sticky and gummy a bowl of oatmeal is. Only stuck sparges (two) I have ever had were recipes with oats.

NE IPA time is it? I just brewed a NE IPA on mine this past weekend. 16% flaked oats, I just used 2 big handfuls of rice hulls and it worked fine. I didn't adjust my grainbill or water and it all worked out well. I'm still dialing in my numbers on the GF so I was slightly off on my OG (1.060 vs 1.063 on the low side) but physically the machine performed fine.

I ended up with some stringy, gummy junk on the pump filter when I was cleaning up which I figure was due to the oats. The pump seemed a bit slow but the sparge was fine.

Hi all, i was bored and read over some of my own and close to a year old posts in this thread :)

For an update i really don't have any pump issues. In hindsight, it was/just a slow pump. I have however removed the ball and spring.

The GF works fine. And i do recommend the jacket now that i have one, but its not necessary.

Has for the boil: When i lift the grain basket - after mashout - and switch the toggle to boil i set a timer for 45min. For me it starts to boil around that time for a 25 litre pre-boil. So i take my time sparging now.

I've used BeerSmith for years and couldn't get it to work with the gf, my water calcs were off. I still use it for everything but calculating water.

You shouldn't need more than 5% of rice hulls in your recipe, even then that's a bit much. You can account for some absorption rate but it's not as high as grain.

Beersmith works fine if you use the setup described a lot earlier in this long post. The only thing difference between Beersmith and the Grainfather formula is that Beersmith uses .5 gallons more for the mash and.5 less in the sparge which balances out.

Good news: With the new GF Connect Controller you won't have to worry about water calculations anymore.
Just export the recipe from Beersmith in XML format, import it into the GF Connect App, and it will gracefully ignore these and replace them with the built-in formula.
I've brewed a Stout a few days ago, with a grain bill of 8 kg, using the new controller and app and I found the calculations to be spot-on, even though they did differ quite a bit from the formulae found in the manual.
Mash efficiency was at 90%. No complaints.

Good news: With the new GF Connect Controller you won't have to worry about water calculations anymore.
Just export the recipe from Beersmith in XML format, import it into the GF Connect App, and it will gracefully ignore these and replace them with the built-in formula.
I've brewed a Stout a few days ago, with a grain bill of 8 kg, using the new controller and app and I found the calculations to be spot-on, even though they did differ quite a bit from the formulae found in the manual.
Mash efficiency was at 90%. No complaints.

How do they (the GF Connect App volumes) compare to the calcs from the new website?

Two cents from a new to brewing guy ...

I bought the GrainFather and started right off with all grain brewing.
Being new to the whole brewing thing I started with no preconceived ideas or bias whatever.
In my opinion this system is perfect for me and the type of brews I like to make.
5 gal batches of all grain light lager.
It will mash, sparge, boil, cool the wort in a seamless flow of steps.
I am very happy I chose this system and can not see myself changing to anything else unless my quantity needs change.

Keep an eye on Barley Haven, I picked mine up last Thanksgiving Day for $600 delivered. It was a Thanksgiving day special sale.

Keep an eye on Barley Haven, I picked mine up last Thanksgiving Day for $600 delivered. It was a Thanksgiving day special sale.

Wow, I would be ecstatic if I could find one for that price. Seems like most places keep them in the $800 range, even on special. I will definitely be doing some checking around this weekend.

Two cents from a new to brewing guy ...

I bought the GrainFather and started right off with all grain brewing.
Being new to the whole brewing thing I started with no preconceived ideas or bias whatever.
In my opinion this system is perfect for me and the type of brews I like to make.
5 gal batches of all grain light lager.
It will mash, sparge, boil, cool the wort in a seamless flow of steps.
I am very happy I chose this system and can not see myself changing to anything else unless my quantity needs change.
That's great, I expected this would be great for a beginner too. If you need more do a double batch day! Seriously, I've finished with 6g and bet I can push towards 7g if desired but my conical tops out at 7.5, so that's out for me.
You started with a lager? That's ambitious!

Back