Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that UK price is any indication of the US price, it seems worth it to me. I was kind of expecting it to me twice that.

i slipped my digital thermometer between the grain coat and the stainless during mashing, it was WAY below my mash temp.. like the outside of the grain bed was 137-140f. Thoughts?

i slipped my digital thermometer between the grain coat and the stainless during mashing, it was WAY below my mash temp.. like the outside of the grain bed was 137-140f. Thoughts?

You need the temperature of the wort during mash. Everything is dissolved in the water and that is where the biochemistry is happening.

That is interesting. I've thought of that but didn't expect such big difference.

I bricked my controller after the second brew. Although the Grainfather company sent me a replacement, I have been using the controller developed by my own. My controller now supports multiple sensors, but I haven't used it in real brew. It seems that I should put a sensor inside the grain basket and see how it goes.

That is interesting. I've thought of that but didn't expect such big difference.

I bricked my controller after the second brew. Although the Grainfather company sent me a replacement, I have been using the controller developed by my own. My controller now supports multiple sensors, but I haven't used it in real brew. It seems that I should put a sensor inside the grain basket and see how it goes.

ya, thats a great idea. be interesting to see what exactly the grain bed temp is in different areas. i mean this all depends on how quickly the wort is flowing through the bed...

Finally got to brew my first batchwith the grainfather. Very happy. Even not being used to the process, it simplified the day, and lessened the time and cleaning
I have a few questions. Don't want to call them "cons" yet.- I used GF website to calculate water (5.85 g strike/ 3.1 g sparge) with 6.08 g batch and 60 min boil. I made an Imp stout with 17.75 lbs of grain and used beersmiths GF equipment for 6.08 g batch size and 75% eff ; using tweaks based on other peoples info (like trebake (sic) ) .
1- dough in was a pain in the ass. Lotta grain. Narrow open to the kettle. Yes I had alto of grain but it seems to take a lot of time to soak into the grain
2- my temps fluctuated the first 15 or so min of the mash by 5-6 degrees. I was mashing at 154 yet it fluctuated 152-157. Yes. I changed the hysterisis to 1. (Was my dough in maybe not integrated well enough?) even after the first 15 minthere was a 3-4 degree fluctuation.
3- anticipatead OG was supposed to be1.080. I finished with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter and an OG of 1.072 (67% eff) .

I was shocked that I ended with 5.5 g. Plus I boiled 30 min longer (90 total) than anticipated. I am not sure if it was a boil off mifermenter ended up with too much in fermenter. What is everyone else getting batch size? Any other tweaks in beersmiths? And yes- boil was actually pretty vigorous

Also- i know what normal and boil setting does. I know what mash and mash setting does. But when would one need to use Normal (bottom) and mash (controller) settings AND when for the Mash (bottom) and boil (controller ) settings???

Normal (bottom) combined with Mash (controller) would be to bring cold water up to mash temp (or mash temp to mashout temp). Then switch bottom to mash to maintain. You would need Mash (bottom) and boil (controller) only to reduce the vigor of the boil. I don't think that will ever be necessary with the 120VAC units we use here.

Finally got to brew my first batchwith the grainfather. Very happy. Even not being used to the process, it simplified the day, and lessened the time and cleaning
I have a few questions. Don't want to call them "cons" yet.- I used GF website to calculate water (5.85 g strike/ 3.1 g sparge) with 6.08 g batch and 60 min boil. I made an Imp stout with 17.75 lbs of grain and used beersmiths GF equipment for 6.08 g batch size and 75% eff ; using tweaks based on other peoples info (like trebake (sic) ) .
1- dough in was a pain in the ass. Lotta grain. Narrow open to the kettle. Yes I had alto of grain but it seems to take a lot of time to soak into the grain
2- my temps fluctuated the first 15 or so min of the mash by 5-6 degrees. I was mashing at 154 yet it fluctuated 152-157. Yes. I changed the hysterisis to 1. (Was my dough in maybe not integrated well enough?) even after the first 15 minthere was a 3-4 degree fluctuation.
3- anticipatead OG was supposed to be1.080. I finished with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter and an OG of 1.072 (67% eff) .

I was shocked that I ended with 5.5 g. Plus I boiled 30 min longer (90 total) than anticipated. I am not sure if it was a boil off mifermenter ended up with too much in fermenter. What is everyone else getting batch size? Any other tweaks in beersmiths? And yes- boil was actually pretty vigorous

Also- i know what normal and boil setting does. I know what mash and mash setting does. But when would one need to use Normal (bottom) and mash (controller) settings AND when for the Mash (bottom) and boil (controller ) settings???

are you using the custom grainfather settings in your beersmith?

theres a page on here with the links to the proper adjustments to beersmith but i have no idea where it is.

Email from Grainfather this morning

Grainfather Connect Control Box Almost Here!
These are due to land in the US and Canada distributors and US warehouse in December and then will be released to stockists and sold online (US only) following that in January, provided there are no delays in shipments out of our control.

Unfortunately this has taken longer than anticipated as there have been some logistical complications.
Many of you have been asking about the price too and they are as follows:

US $149 USD
Canada $199.99 CAD

Features
If you have missed out on seeing what the main features of this new unit are please see below:
Automation without removing the fun of brewing, be as involved as you want to be
More automation means you can multitask or simply relax while brewing and then be alerted when to return for your next step
Bluetooth connection to your mobile device so it can be controlled remotely
PID algorithm works in conjunction with a triac for more stable heating and so you can control power output
Programmable step mashing
Delayed heating - fill your Grainfather with water the night before and wake up to your water at strike temperature ready for brewing straight away
Change between celsius and fahrenheit easily
App Features
Grainkid recipes provided in app
Import Beer XML files
Set your own boil temperature (for different altitudes)
Grainfather calculators

Coming Soon
Online recipe creator - create, share, rate and review brews through this central hub. Then when ready, sync with your app.
In the meantime, check out our brand new website!

Email from Grainfather this morning

Grainfather Connect Control Box Almost Here!
These are due to land in the US and Canada distributors and US warehouse in December and then will be released to stockists and sold online (US only) following that in January, provided there are no delays in shipments out of our control.

Unfortunately this has taken longer than anticipated as there have been some logistical complications.
Many of you have been asking about the price too and they are as follows:

US $149 USD
Canada $199.99 CAD

Features
If you have missed out on seeing what the main features of this new unit are please see below:
Automation without removing the fun of brewing, be as involved as you want to be
More automation means you can multitask or simply relax while brewing and then be alerted when to return for your next step
Bluetooth connection to your mobile device so it can be controlled remotely
PID algorithm works in conjunction with a triac for more stable heating and so you can control power output
Programmable step mashing
Delayed heating - fill your Grainfather with water the night before and wake up to your water at strike temperature ready for brewing straight away
App Features
Grainkid recipes provided in app
Import Beer XML files
Set your own boil temperature (for different altitudes)
Grainfather calculators

Coming Soon
Online recipe creator - create, share, rate and review brews through this central hub. Then when ready, sync with your app.
In the meantime, check out our brand new website!

i'm kind of excited..

Got my GF a month ago. Brewed twice now in the laundry room when it was raining outside! Third brew this weekend - also supposed to be raining. I got the grain coat and hop spider. The spider really keeps trub at the bottom to a minimum. I recirculate chilling wort through the spider - think I'm reducing coldbreak trub that way. Could not be happier. Cleaning is a snap also.

Welcome to the GF family, I'm sure as you work out your process you will find it even better!

1) My Mash water calc would call for 6.94g, so considerably more and that alone will answer your dough in issue. I do not think I've altered the GF calc for Mash - I do on the sparge- based on a few factors (time, expected loss due to amount of hops, my boil off rate, lauter ability).
I came up with sprage, for a 90 min boil, of 2.44g, so my total water is still higher than yours (due to my adjustments) at 9.4g v 8.9g. Ha, there is that "missing" .5 gal! :)

2) Temp fluctuation, that's a bit odd, especially since you lowered your hysteresis to 1F. Did you have the lower button on mash (this will run the heater at 600w not 1500w and better control).

3) Lots of reasons there, but most common is grain crush. Was this from your mill, or store? We tend to crush finer than store, so this could be likely culprit.

4) Normal & Mash setting- ramping up to mash temp. Will use 1500w and stop when reaches your mash temp (btw, I use a +10-12F degree strike temp, just like the old cooler MLT days).
4a) Mash (bottom) & Boil (on controller)- not used. Boil on controller will override the mash setting on bottom and use the 1500w element.

Note, I am now hitting all my volumes and within a point or so of my OG. I just have it dialed in now, now your turn to dial yours in! Cheers! :mug:

Welcome to the GF family, I'm sure as you work out your process you will find it even better!

1) My Mash water calc would call for 6.94g, so considerably more and that alone will answer your dough in issue. I do not think I've altered the GF calc for Mash - I do on the sparge- based on a few factors (time, expected loss due to amount of hops, my boil off rate, lauter ability).
I came up with sprage, for a 90 min boil, of 2.44g, so my total water is still higher than yours (due to my adjustments) at 9.4g v 8.9g. Ha, there is that "missing" .5 gal! :)

2) Temp fluctuation, that's a bit odd, especially since you lowered your hysteresis to 1F. Did you have the lower button on mash (this will run the heater at 600w not 1500w and better control).

3) Lots of reasons there, but most common is grain crush. Was this from your mill, or store? We tend to crush finer than store, so this could be likely culprit.

4) Normal & Mash setting- ramping up to mash temp. Will use 1500w and stop when reaches your mash temp (btw, I use a +10-12F degree strike temp, just like the old cooler MLT days).
4a) Mash (bottom) & Boil (on controller)- not used. Boil on controller will override the mash setting on bottom and use the 1500w element.

Note, I am now hitting all my volumes and within a point or so of my OG. I just have it dialed in now, now your turn to dial yours in! Cheers! :mug:

1-I used the water calc on GF site and used the GF app too. Both were similar. Even the beersmiths GF settings (customized) were close. What water calc do u use?
2- And I am pretty sure I had mash and mash settings during mash...99.9% sure
3- crush my own. Havebeen for many years

I love my Grainfather and brew with it using the app. I am extremely happy with brewing on it as is and had no no desire to get the new controller.......until I saw delayed heating. That would be be awesome. Ready to mash right after work on on Friday....im in!!!

im not seeing any reason to buy this new controller... my mash temps stay right on target.

Welcome to the "club"!

The GF was my first foray into AG and as it was a new piece of equipment that I had never used or was familiar with, I read the instructions multiple times and to this day still have them open when I brew. I also viewed the GF site's videos, especially the brewing one, at least 4 or 5 times so as to get the process down, mentally, before I was going to attempt my first brew. Too many times I thought I was an expert only to screw things up.

My first batch was an easy 11# grain bill recipe I converted on BeerSmith using a 70% efficiency and a Barley Crusher mill setting at .035. I used the water calc from the instructions. Results? Volumes hit spot on, sparge was painfully slow and my gravities blew through their estimates with a final BHE @ 86%. Oh, darn. The ABV is high.

Changes made since have been going with a .038 mill setting, handful of rice hulls, Bruin'Water for the salts/pH and using the BeerSmith mod. I hit 80 - 85% almost every time in addition to getting my volumes and gravities. The only time I missed was on a micropipe small batch that neted a 70% efficiency.

I don't care how many times GF updates their online calculator or changes their app, my settings based on their formula found in the printed instructions (which the BS mod volumes match to a tee) work for me and I won't change.

Ive been thinking about switching the bottom screen to a wedgewire to speed up sparging.

I wonder which specification of Bluetooth they are using.

I've implemented a version of Open ArdBir like Arduino sketch that supports Bluetooth BLE. The distance of connection was too short that I felt unusable. Just an "L" wall between the controller and my iPhone, the connection broke. It might because of the poor design of my setup(a HM-10 module), and the nature of BLE.
I then turned to WiFi and get satisfying result so far.

Just brewed my first two batches with my GF, love it, it's a nice improvement over my single kettle propane set up. Temperature control so much easier now. As for the fit and finish; Dad always said that you get what you pay for. It's not a $2500 system. I feel that I certainly got what I paid for. Get a hops spider, it helps keep things clean and can double as a strainer when moving to the fermenter. Also, those nifty food safe silicone gloves, some parts get hot and my welding gloves are not clean. I found that it is easy to slide the bottom of the strainer in place with a little water or sanitizer sprayed on the sides. Took 40 minutes to boil, not far off from my propane burner. I also got the parts to distill, um, water. But that's another forum.

Ive been thinking about switching the bottom screen to a wedgewire to speed up sparging.

Is your sparge time overlapping when the boil starts? With my .038 mill setting my sparge is a bit slow, but I never worry as it never goes so long as to still be draining when the hot break occurs.

...Changes made since have been going with a .038 mill setting, handful of rice hulls, Bruin'Water for the salts/pH and using the BeerSmith mod. I hit 80 - 85% almost every time in addition to getting my volumes and gravities. The only time I missed was on a micropipe small batch that neted a 70% .

Beersmith mod? Do you have a profile that you wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Is your sparge time overlapping when the boil starts? With my .038 mill setting my sparge is a bit slow, but I never worry as it never goes so long as to still be draining when the hot break occurs.

Precisely! I even mash out the last 15min of my 60 min mash at 170, set to boil at start of sparge, and still end a bit below 200 prior to end of sparge. If anyone is concerned about sparge time, add a handful or two of rice hulls. Problem solved. KISS principle folks! :)

1-I used the water calc on GF site and used the GF app too. Both were similar. Even the beersmiths GF settings (customized) were close. What water calc do u use?
2- And I am pretty sure I had mash and mash settings during mash...99.9% sure
3- crush my own. Havebeen for many years

Water calc from GF manual for mash. Per my last post on this I do adjust manual figures for sparge water.
My crush is fairly fine, some flour, I didn't test with a gap tool, set it up w/credit card method. Possibly you can go finer.

If you're not adjusting your water that can have a significant impact too. Found that with my brother's water once, lost a lot in efficiency w/o adjusting his water

thats a good point, now that i think about it.

Just got my Grainfather in. Assembled and cleaning now. Time to figure out recipe calculation (a little overwhelmed as this will be first all-grain and researched BEFORE deciding to go with this system). Pretty excited!View attachment 375537

Good luck its pretty easy to use, but of course things will probably go off the rails a little bit. :D

Some ideas for your first brew - take a sg reading after you cool the wort for your pitch and don't look at the temp readout when your using the chiller. Its a useless measurement at that stage. I put a thermometer in my bucket if i'm using one or just use hand touch on the outlet hose to judge if its 20-30C - when i use a carboy. However, i have hung a temp probe from a stc in the carboy before lol. Just look for luke warm or so is all i do.

The chiller is probably the quickest piece of equipment on the GF. I usually have cool wort in 5-10 minutes no problem to put in my fermenter.

Just wanted to post a few pictures from my brew day yesterday. 3rd brew on the Grainfather. 1.060SG for 79.8% efficiency.

Here's the sparge water heater I made with a leftover pot and parts from Auber Instruments

Boil!

Transfering into the fermenter. I made a thermometer using leftover parts from an e-brew rig to check the temps going into the fermenter. With tap water the chiller got it down to 66 degrees with the ball valve throttled back a bit, 70 with it running full bore

I was wondering if anyone had made a "stand" for their sparge water heater. I was thinking of making something to sit it on that is just a little bit taller than the grandfather (with he basket sitting up of course). That way I could just open the spare water spout to add water. Having to lift the dang thing is becoming a pain.

Also, has anyone changed the silly valve on the water heater? I was looking at the blichmann spare arm and thought it might work. Especially if I build the stand, I could just extend the arm down into grainfather basket. Thoughts?

If you have done something like either of these, would you please post pics.

BTW, I brew outside, so putting it on a kitchen counter doesn't work for me like it does for those who brew inside.

Transfering into the fermenter. I made a thermometer using leftover parts from an e-brew rig to check the temps going into the fermenter. With tap water the chiller got it down to 66 degrees with the ball valve throttled back a bit, 70 with it running full bore

WOW!!! The grandfather pump is strong enough to counteract any back flow when filling the SS like that? Thats awesome. I have the same setup and always go into the top. Was never a fan of the exposure I got when doing that thought.

same here. I also have the same setup but after seeing this i figured ill give it a shot next brew day.

Latest posts

Back