Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm...i've been debating on getting a grain father for a few months. planned to get a credit card with a $150 cash back bonus and paying it off over a year and then canceling, or possibly selling one of my pinball machines to help secure the cash straight out. pinball machine option would also allow funds to get a beginner kegging system.
almost want to pull the trigger before the possible price jump.
my biggest concern is if the element goes out since it supposedly can't be replaced. anyone know of folks having issues with it burning out or have any conjecture on how long it would take for one to fail, possibly based on a standard electric brewing system. have there even been any reports of it burning out for the US system? honestly i'd probably brew 2-3 times a month on average.
It's a fair point of concern, however I too have not heard of a failure like this. I've read folks who've thought GF would stand by it even out of warranty but no proof of that. If it were to fail out of warranty, and they didn't support it I think you'd have two options. Open it up and try to replace the element or somehow make a mod. I hope to not consider that anytime soon.
If you buy one do it from eBay. My brother just picked one up from the seller there for cheap. As for GF price going up it's all our speculation here and if I was a betting man, I'd guess not still for months at earliest.

To get my to boil a little harder I put a piece of foil over about a quarter of the top.
I assume you don't cover more due to fear of DMS? I wonder if that should be a concern? What about putting the lid on, it has a hole if you're concerned about DMS. For me the boil is more than fine. I do have 2 layers of reflectix around it with an air gap from pipe insulation. Boil is great- about 3+qts/hr. The boiler is single wall so will lose heat if not insulated. Did you insulate?

If you buy one do it from eBay. My brother just picked one up from the seller there for cheap. As for GF price going up it's all our speculation here and if I was a betting man, I'd guess not still for months at earliest.

my only concern with buying from ebay is if i'd have it return it. i've heard of a few folks getting stuff damaged in shipping and worried that dealing with an ebay seller might be a hassle if i do have any issues. it is tempting though. i've heard of folks getting them for a couple under bucks cheaper than retail.

my only concern with buying from ebay is if i'd have it return it. i've heard of a few folks getting stuff damaged in shipping and worried that dealing with an ebay seller might be a hassle if i do have any issues. it is tempting though. i've heard of folks getting them for a couple under bucks cheaper than retail.
I feared the same. I view eBay as the Craig's list of Amazon, so not highly. However I did read up on eBay's guarantee, seems solid, but no personal experience. This one arrived quickly as indicated and what made me comfortable was all the good reports on him here. I am another with a good experience with this seller, so hope that helps.
This all reminds me of my first time with VRBO. Been a loyal user now for 6yrs.

I feared the same. I view eBay as the Craig's list of Amazon, so not highly. However I did read up on eBay's guarantee, seems solid, but no personal experience. This one arrived quickly as indicated and what made me comfortable was all the good reports on him here. I am another with a good experience with this seller, so hope that helps.

This all reminds me of my first time with VRBO. Been a loyal user now for 6yrs.

I've bought trains, planes, automobiles on eBay...well autos and motorcycles and everything in between. I've never been ripped but mostly shop Amazon now. As for the GF, I'd likely buy from a local distributor if the price was in the ballpark. I wouldn't want shiny things dinged up.

Finished another brew yesterday on the Grainfather. I did a hefe and finished at my target OG. I was very cautious on my sparge method. I let the wort drain from the grain basket completely before adjusting the top mesh and sparging. I was careful to keep 1" of water above the grain bed during the entire sparge. When I was finished sparging I placed the grain basket in my old boil kettle. Halfway during the boil I added the cup or two of sugar water that had also drained from the grain basket. All went well for the most part.

The one problem is the darn filter. Has anyone come up with a modification of the filter. The rubber piece on the end of the filter tends to pop off during the boil. This is the third time that has happened. What Grainfather should have done is put a cap on the end of the filter that could screw on and off for cleaning. That would have been much better than the rubber piece that comes off real easy. I thought about using a clamp to tighten it on, but not sure if there are any food grade clamps available. Does anyone have a modification for the filter that has worked for them?

Finished another brew yesterday on the Grainfather. I did a hefe and finished at my target OG. I was very cautious on my sparge method. I let the wort drain from the grain basket completely before adjusting the top mesh and sparging. I was careful to keep 1" of water above the grain bed during the entire sparge. When I was finished sparging I placed the grain basket in my old boil kettle. Halfway during the boil I added the cup or two of sugar water that had also drained from the grain basket. All went well for the most part.

The one problem is the darn filter. Has anyone come up with a modification of the filter. The rubber piece on the end of the filter tends to pop off during the boil. This is the third time that has happened. What Grainfather should have done is put a cap on the end of the filter that could screw on and off for cleaning. That would have been much better than the rubber piece that comes off real easy. I thought about using a clamp to tighten it on, but not sure if there are any food grade clamps available. Does anyone have a modification for the filter that has worked for them?

Ya the filter drives me crazy too. I'm trying to figure out how I could get a completely different filter hooked up to it like a hopblocker or something.

I have done over 15 brews on my Grainfather and I have never had the rubber cap fall off.The only trouble I have had with the filter is hop blockage which is why I use hop bags.

I did have an idea today that I want to try out and that is to put the grain basket/tube back into the boiler once the sparge is done with only the bottom screen in place.This would be to act as a hop filter that could be lifted out after the boil is done and it may even help to get a more vigorous boil.

RMCB

I have done over 15 brews on my Grainfather and I have never had the rubber cap fall off.The only trouble I have had with the filter is hop blockage which is why I use hop bags.

I did have an idea today that I want to try out and that is to put the grain basket/tube back into the boiler once the sparge is done with only the bottom screen in place.This would be to act as a hop filter that could be lifted out after the boil is done and it may even help to get a more vigorous boil.

RMCB

That's a great idea I may try that as well. Used a hop bag with 5 oz today was kinda worried the flame out additions weren't fully utilized.

... I was careful to keep 1" of water above the grain bed during the entire sparge...

First, not sure why but GF actually calls for <1/2" during sparge. I'd assume anything under the overflow outlet would be fine.

I had the rubber cap come off on my first brew only. Since then I've been careful not to stir or scrape the bottom anywhere in the vicinity of the filter. Sounds like you are stirring too close and hitting it? I've had no issues with bottom scorching either, so not sure scraping is necessary.

That's a great idea I may try that as well. Used a hop bag with 5 oz today was kinda worried the flame out additions weren't fully utilized.

I dont think it is a great idea....just an innovative idea....use the piece of kit for something else other than holding grains....if it can hold grains it can hold hops is my mindset.

If it turns out to be a great idea/plan/thing I will of course expect full credit for coming up with this use of the grain basket used as a hop filter.

RMCB

getting close to pulling the trigger on this. i tested the GFCI outlet i'd use for this and am getting 119 volts and it's on a 20 amp circuit. the only issue is that it has an open ground (aka not grounded i think). anyone know if this will cause any issues? worried i won't be able to find a licensed electrician who would come out just to ground an outlet a decent price.

getting close to pulling the trigger on this. i tested the GFCI outlet i'd use for this and am getting 119 volts and it's on a 20 amp circuit. the only issue is that it has an open ground (aka not grounded i think). anyone know if this will cause any issues? worried i won't be able to find a licensed electrician who would come out just to ground an outlet a decent price.

All this fuss and dithering is for nothing.I just plug my GF into an electrical outlet on my kitchen wall that is above and to the right of my sink.It supplies enough juice and all is good.Not worried about a boil over.I used to brew on my stove in an 8 gallon pot and I never had a boil over either.

Just go and buy a GF...you wont have any regrets.

RMCB

I have about 10+ brews in now and the filter cap has popped off at least 3 times. All it takes is a brush of the paddle during a stir and off it comes.

I also have been using a homemade hop spider and when the cap hasn't fallen off things have went smooth. The problem is when the cap has fallen off, the ball valve springs get gunk in them and the flow comes to a stand still.

Would be interested in how your experiment goes with the grain basket. My thought would be that it would be a rush to get the grain emptied and meshes cleaned before adding your initial bittering hop.

First, not sure why but GF actually calls for <1/2" during sparge. I'd assume anything under the overflow outlet would be fine.

I had the rubber cap come off on my first brew only. Since then I've been careful not to stir or scrape the bottom anywhere in the vicinity of the filter. Sounds like you are stirring too close and hitting it? I've had no issues with bottom scorching either, so not sure scraping is necessary.

It calls for 1/2" but I was contempt with <1". Nothing went over the overflow outlet.

Yes, it is a stirring issue on why it get's knocked off easily. I am sure that I could train myself not to stir like I did with all of my other systems, but I would rather come up with a solution for the equipment. I still believe that a filter with a screw off cap would have been a better design. I am thinking that a stainless steel hose clamps should be ok. Thoughts?

It calls for 1/2" but I was contempt with <1". Nothing went over the overflow outlet.

Yes, it is a stirring issue on why it get's knocked off easily. I am sure that I could train myself not to stir like I did with all of my other systems, but I would rather come up with a solution for the equipment. I still believe that a filter with a screw off cap would have been a better design. I am thinking that a stainless steel hose clamps should be ok. Thoughts?

I have never had my cap come off and I have been brewing with the grainfather almost every week for about 9 months now. Other than to scrape the bottom, I am not sure why you need to be stirring so low that you are hitting the filter. I realize that sometimes it can't be helped, but I don't see a design flaw here.

I guess another thing to consider is what type of paddle/spoon are people using? Mine is fairly small ( the stainless one offered through the GF website). so maybe if you are using a larger mash paddle, it might be harder avoid the filter.

I have, however, knocked the entire filter off while stirring once, but that was totally my fault. got a little too aggressive.

Same here. Brew almost every weekend, never knocked it off. I use a long 3 foot wooden paddle but am very careful not to go too low on it.

I too knocked the whole filter off...the first time. I have not done it since. But why are people stirring so much? Why not just turn on the pump and do a higher level stir for hop/extra additions?

I agree a screw off cap would be a better design, but avoiding hitting it seems easy enough and preferable to hose clamps. It's easy enough to locate given pump location as reference. And as previous posts noted, why all the (aggressive) stirring?

I agree a screw off cap would be a better design, but avoiding hitting it seems easy enough and preferable to hose clamps. It's easy enough to locate given pump location as reference. And as previous posts noted, why all the (aggressive) stirring?

i would like the screw off cap simply to have one less piece or rubber/silicone.

It doesn't have to be an aggressive stir to knock the rubber/silicone cap off. I don't know about others, but mine is not very secure on the filter to begin with and will fall off even before attaching the filter to the GF housing. Maybe it is my cap that is the problem and I should order a new one for the filter?

For the most part I LOVE the GF and am glad I downsized. It has made my brew days so much EASIER and SIMPLIFIED my space in my new house. Most economical decision that I have made since I have started brewing.

Now if I could find a buyer for my gravity keggle kit (3 keggles with welded spigots, three keggle stand with two burners, and a wort plate chiller). I am holding on to it in case I decide to make it a HERMS, but with the right buyer I would sell it quickly. Plus I still have my mash Home Depot cooler and 10 gal boil pot setup should I go backwards. All of this equipment served its purpose as well, but the cost and time that I put into building those systems...

It doesn't have to be an aggressive stir to knock the rubber/silicone cap off. I don't know about others, but mine is not very secure on the filter to begin with and will fall off even before attaching the filter to the GF housing. Maybe it is my cap that is the problem and I should order a new one for the filter?

For the most part I LOVE the GF and am glad I downsized....
Ok that's different than my experience, you have to pull at it to get the cap to come off, so maybe it is a looser fit for you and that would really annoy me too. The filter holds on nicely as well as cap for me. I did stop taking the rubber insert out of the metal filter as I saw small tears and wasn't pleased with that issue.
I too love the GF and the whole downsizing aspect. Now to unload some equipment! :)

I'm getting ready to do a session SMaSH that will have a light grain bill. Due to not having the mythical "micro pipework" (will it ever be in stock ... does it really exist :) ) I'll be following the small batch procedure.

Any one run into any issues with the procedure? It seems simple enough. Efficiencies effected? Gravities off? Adjustments needed to ensure mash Ph? Any tips/info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm getting ready to do a session SMaSH that will have a light grain bill. Due to not having the mythical "micro pipework" (will it ever be in stock ... does it really exist :) ) I'll be following the small batch procedure.

Any one run into any issues with the procedure? It seems simple enough. Efficiencies effected? Gravities off? Adjustments needed to ensure mash Ph? Any tips/info would be appreciated.

Thanks

I sent a mail asking about the Micro pipework yesterday. They said it will be in stock in the US store by end of July...

Thanks

I have had a lot of stuck sparges when doing low grain bill brews. since i got the micro pipework, I have not had one. My suggestion would be to consider using rice hulls to avoid this.

Fyi check for micro pipework in about 2 months. I was able to chat with the grainfather team and they are getting more late august/September

Sorry guys, I'm not really sure why you need a different pipe. My brew days never have a drop down the overflow. I use a little rice hulls and just control the ball valve to adjust flow.

does anyone know if any big names in home brewing like denny conn, john palmer, zamil zainasheff, etc have tried the grainfather? i'm just curious if any of the pros who have been at it for a while have vetted it.

Sorry guys, I'm not really sure why you need a different pipe. My brew days never have a drop down the overflow. I use a little rice hulls and just control the ball valve to adjust flow.

I followed the small grain bill process, but there must have been a gap between the overflow cap and the top screen because some errant grains worked their way into the wort. Fortunately, I caught it early enough that it wasn’t too much. I just filtered them through my hop spider/nylon bag during the boil with the pump running for about 5 minutes.

I did turn down the flow to make sure no other grains went down the overflow.

Live and learn

I agree, I have a big gap between the overflow cap and screen. Just make sure you have the ball valve 2/3 closed to start and adjust it to get the system in balance.

I followed the small grain bill process, but there must have been a gap between the overflow cap and the top screen because some errant grains worked their way into the wort. Fortunately, I caught it early enough that it wasn’t too much. I just filtered them through my hop spider/nylon bag during the boil with the pump running for about 5 minutes.

I did turn down the flow to make sure no other grains went down the overflow.

Live and learn

I am wondering if an external sight glass install would work. Has anyone installed one? If so can you please post directions and pics?

I am wondering if an external sight glass install would work. Has anyone installed one? If so can you please post directions and pics?

I saw a guy on YouTube install one. I'm not sure which video though. Worth a shot finding that vid and shooting him a note.

I think this might be the one you are referring to -

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back onto the micro pipework subject, does anyone do 2.5 gallon batches without it? Can I still expect good results? I just bought a 2.5 gallon keg because another 5 gallon won't fit.

Going back onto the micro pipework subject, does anyone do 2.5 gallon batches without it? Can I still expect good results? I just bought a 2.5 gallon keg because another 5 gallon won't fit.
I would think that if you tried it, you would have to boil for quite a while to evaporate the water down to a level where you could start doing your hop additions. I think its possible but you may end up extending your brew day even longer. I am glad I bought mine when I did. Who knew that they would sell out so fast?!!

I would think that if you tried it, you would have to boil for quite a while to evaporate the water down to a level where you could start doing your hop additions. I think its possible but you may end up extending your brew day even longer. I am glad I bought mine when I did. Who knew that they would sell out so fast?!!

Hmm dang. Guess I will BIAB or extract for the meantime until their in stock!

Hey guys I have done a few batches on the GF and love the efficiency. I am having a bit of an issue with the counter flow chiller. It takes me 30 minute or more to cool my wort. I have slowed the flow rate so the wort has more time for temperature exchange. I have even submerged the cold water tube in an ice bath. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Back