Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I remembered seeing someone post a handy little platform with wheels on one of the numerous grainfather discussion posts I read prior to purchasing. After getting in a couple brew days, I have decided that handles/wheels would be a HUGE benefit. I tried to go back through this entire thread to find it but didn't see it.

Does anyone have an example of what they use as a little stand with wheels for the GF? The one I saw looked like it was an industrial plastic piece, maybe for a mop bucket or something to sit on.

cant get a picture right now as I am at work, but I use something that I think was intended to be a bucket dolly. it looks like an asterik and has a wheel on each "point". works great, but if I ever need to hit the reset switch, I would be kinda screwed. Maybe I might drill a hole out where it lines up.

cant get a picture right now as I am at work, but I use something that I think was intended to be a bucket dolly. it looks like an asterik and has a wheel on each "point". works great, but if I ever need to hit the reset switch, I would be kinda screwed. Maybe I might drill a hole out where it lines up.

Never gave a lot of thought to shuffling my GF around when full but jumped on the bandwagon. In Canada, Canadian Tire had these 16" plant dollies made of polycarbonate with locking casters for $14.99. It claims a weight up to 180 lbs. so it'll more than do the trick. Another 12" metal one was only $9.99 and had access to the reset switch. Too small though. The polycarbonate one fits well and I'm thinking on taking my cup saw and cutting an access hole.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461669331.112518.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461669343.845414.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1461669356.843808.jpg

Brewer my first batch last weekend and OG was estimated at 1.070 and ended up at 1.074! So far, I'm happy with the purchase

Hey folks, here's a rant with a question at the end :)

I'm a Grainfather owner, have 20+ batches under my belt with it, but lately it's pissing me off! All my beers of late are turning out astringent, they are practically undrinkable and I'm determined to figure out why this is happening.

I've researched the hell out of water treatment, now I have my water report and the salt/acids to treat the mash. My major worry is the fly sparging method we use with the Grainfather, that much sparging has to be extracting excess tannins from the grain. My crush is perfect, and there's no husks in the boil thanks to a makeshift filter on the top of the overflow pipe.

So...

Does anyone have any tricks to avoid over sparging? Has anyone tried no sparge with the Grainfather? How do you sparge to avoid tannin extraction?

And tips/tricks/info would be a huge help...it's hard to win medals with a pint of eye watering astrigent beer!

Does anyone have any tricks to avoid over sparging? Has anyone tried no sparge with the Grainfather? How do you sparge to avoid tannin extraction?

And tips/tricks/info would be a huge help...it's hard to win medals with a pint of eye watering astrigent beer!

What temperature is the water you are sparging with? I'm 10 batches in and don't think I've had this problem - I am sparging with recommended amount at 170F or slightly below. If you are sparging with hotter than 170F, you may be pulling tannins out that way.

What temperature is the water you are sparging with? I'm 10 batches in and don't think I've had this problem - I am sparging with recommended amount at 170F or slightly below. If you are sparging with hotter than 170F, you may be pulling tannins out that way.

I have my trusty thermapen, so I've been keeping my sparge water to aroung 74-75 c.

But could it be the case that we are over sparging with the Grainfather, some people are sparging anywhere from 20-40 minutes...efficiency is through the roof, but at what cost?

I'm brewing a Black IPA this weekend, here's what I'm going to do : Treat my mash water with Lactic Acid, Cal Chloride and Magnesium sulfate (Mash pH calculated at around 5.4), I will then sparge with only 9ltrs of 75 c water then add the remaining water when coming up to the boil. I'm still unsure if I should treat my sparge water though.

My efficiency will take a hit, but the Black IPA is for a comp, so I really don't want those tannins!

I have my trusty thermapen, so I've been keeping my sparge water to aroung 74-75 c.

But could it be the case that we are over sparging with the Grainfather, some people are sparging anywhere from 20-40 minutes...efficiency is through the roof, but at what cost?

I'm brewing a Black IPA this weekend, here's what I'm going to do : Treat my mash water with Lactic Acid, Cal Chloride and Magnesium sulfate (Mash pH calculated at around 5.4), I will then sparge with only 9ltrs of 75 c water then add the remaining water when coming up to the boil. I'm still unsure if I should treat my sparge water though.

My efficiency will take a hit, but the Black IPA is for a comp, so I really don't want those tannins!

I'd just recommend treating your sparge so the pH is below 6.

I'd just recommend treating your sparge so the pH is below 6.

Yeah I'm going to treat the water but I've also decided to sparge with only 3 litres of water...I'll see how things go, it'll be worth a shot anyway!

So...

I'd recommend doing some reading on the fly sparge technique. I don't do it myself, but if my understanding is correct, they usually stop sparging if the run off drops below a certain specific gravity. Is there an easy way to grab a run off sample with the GF?

My understanding is that tannin extraction requires both a high pH and an elevated temp. That's why people can get by with decoctions where they boil the grain; the pH is low enough to avoid the tannin issue.

What if you sparged with cold(er) water?

Well, my Grainfather arrived today! :) Did the initial setup and did a cleaning cycle..Can't wait to brew on it, but that wont happen until next week at the earliest..Going out of town Friday..

20160427_144206.jpg

Nice. Tracking shows mine showing up Friday. Hopefully my induction hot plate shows up soon and maybe I can brew thus weekend.

Just got mine yesterday!

I assembled it and filled with water to clean it, but had an issue with the pump. I turned it on and nothing came out the recirc pipe. Tried reset button, unplugging and plugging it back it, and that wouldn't work.

Finally I tried taking the hop filter off and then flipped the pump switch and it worked. Anyone else have that issue? I can't see why having the hop filter on would make a difference.

On mine, if the re-circulation arm is not seated just right, water will not recirculate. I usually have to look straight on when I'm attaching the arm. If nothing comes out, taking off the arm and re-attaching normally does the trick.

I can't imagine why the hop filter would make a difference?

I should get a shipping notice today. Not really a big deal since I don't get home till next Thursday anyway. Glad to see a big following on these though.

Well it should be here tomorrow. Meanwhile Amazon has been "preparing my shipment" for my induction hot plate for 4 days now.....

Funny how it traveled half way to the east coast before heading back to the west to Alaska. LOL

tracking.png

Just got mine yesterday!

I assembled it and filled with water to clean it, but had an issue with the pump. I turned it on and nothing came out the recirc pipe. Tried reset button, unplugging and plugging it back it, and that wouldn't work.

Finally I tried taking the hop filter off and then flipped the pump switch and it worked. Anyone else have that issue? I can't see why having the hop filter on would make a difference.

Did you make sure that little plastic bit that goes in the filter had its hole pointed DOWN?

When I did my cleaning run, when I first turned on the pump the flow out the recirculation arm was a trickle..I unscrewed the pipe and reset it, still a trickle..Then I repositioned the basket..one of the 'feet' on the false bottom was pushing down on the filter pinching the pump inlet almost closed..After rotating the basket got full flow..:)

One thing that got me when I was assembling my GF was that basket..The botom screen specifically..I would get it SO close to being there then that damn silicon gasket would pop off...GRRRR...took me like 10 times to get that bloody thing seated in there..Wonder how big of a ***** it will be again after cleaning it after brewing? Guess I will find out next weekend..Going out of town this weekend..

Pantherjon, it gets easier. I wet it all then out just the screen in at a good angle (without the post bolted to it) then seat one side and do a little push and pull dance using the center hole to pull up when the gasket starts to flip until it seats all the way.

This past Sunday it only popped off once!

Pantherjon, it gets easier. I wet it all then out just the screen in at a good angle (without the post bolted to it) then seat one side and do a little push and pull dance using the center hole to pull up when the gasket starts to flip until it seats all the way.

This past Sunday it only popped off once!
Yes, practice makes perfect.
I fought with it when I set it up the first time.
I stick the barrel in the water then dip the screen in side ways then it is all wet and found it to be easier.

I had the same problem with the flow not being right if the recirculating arm isn't on perfect. It works well overall, though. Many great brews coming with this baby!

Yes, practice makes perfect.
I fought with it when I set it up the first time.
I stick the barrel in the water then dip the screen in side ways then it is all wet and found it to be easier.

I will have to try that after my first brew..After about 4 times of it popping off, I wetted down the screen and seal, but it still wanted to pop off a couple more times..I guess when I FINALLY got it set in there I found that perfect angle that the screen has to be at for it to stay on...I am really looking forward to the first brew on this...

I just received my GF but it is all dented up and the bottom plastic base is cracked..Hopefully the seller will make it right

Did you make sure that little plastic bit that goes in the filter had its hole pointed DOWN?

When I did my cleaning run, when I first turned on the pump the flow out the recirculation arm was a trickle..I unscrewed the pipe and reset it, still a trickle..Then I repositioned the basket..one of the 'feet' on the false bottom was pushing down on the filter pinching the pump inlet almost closed..After rotating the basket got full flow..:)

One thing that got me when I was assembling my GF was that basket..The botom screen specifically..I would get it SO close to being there then that damn silicon gasket would pop off...GRRRR...took me like 10 times to get that bloody thing seated in there..Wonder how big of a ***** it will be again after cleaning it after brewing? Guess I will find out next weekend..Going out of town this weekend..

Yup, had it pointed down, and I didn't have the basket in yet so nothing pinching the inlet part. Odd. Hopefully it doesn't keep happening.

Anyone else's GF controller box have a button that says rst and has a picture of a snowflake on it? What's that button do?

Last edited by a moderator:
what is everyone doing for batch size, boil off rate, and how much is going into your fermenter...Is 6 gallon batch size, boil off rate .5 gallon and 5 gallons going to fermenter correct? Also are you guys following GF website on strike and sparge water or using what you were before? Thanks

I got my grain coat today.I have to add a thermowell to my spiedel fermenter and also got a brewOmeter.First brew session tomorrow..I ran the numbers and they match whats on their website

5.5 gallon to fermenter + .5 gallon evap rate + .5 gallon dead space + absorption rate .125

Hey strangers! first brew in close to a month. I just wanted to tell you folks that the 1/4 inch or so holding steel/ring or whatever you want to call it that holds the grain basket when sparging is not secured so you can pop it out really easy for cleaning.

I got my grain coat today.I have to add a thermowell to my spiedel fermenter and also got a brewOmeter.First brew session tomorrow..I ran the numbers and they match whats on their website

5.5 gallon to fermenter + .5 gallon evap rate + .5 gallon dead space + absorption rate .125

I'm anxious to hear how you like the brewometer, looks like a better option than the BrewBug.

Back