Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would uh just continue with whatever has been working. Why reinvent the wheel?

For every brew session since I got my GF 15 months ago, I've used the formulas in the user's guide that came with the unit to compute the mash and sparge water volumes -- Mash = (Grain weight in lbs. x 0.34) + 0.9 US Gal; Sparge = (7.4 - mash volume) + (grain bill in lbs. x 0.1). I even uploaded a rather good set of tweaks for Beersmith that produced the rsame results. I've known for some time that the on-line calculator provided by the GF folks comes up with different results, but I've persisted with the formulas in the user's guide. Since I received my GF Connect unit (US version), I decided I might as well try to use the calculators in the GF Connect app -- in my case the Android version (still waiting for the promised new app, but am trying to use one of the "quick profiles" available in the current app) -- which provide yet a third set of figures. Specifically, for a basic brew using 11.5 lbs. of grain:
1) User's guide: mash = 4.81 gal. (19.24 qts.); sparge = 3.74 gal.; total = 8.55 gal.
2) OnLine: mash = 4.65 gal.; sparge = 3.59 gal.; total = 8.24
3) GF Connect quick profile: mash 4.6 gal.; sparge = 3.9 gal.; total = 8.5 gal.
Given that the Android app is still a work in progress, it's easy enough to simply ignore no. 3, but which is best between the other two? I'm inclined to go with the on-line version, but it does call for 0.31 gal. less in total water. Is that a problem? I'm perfectly happy with the results I've been getting so far, but I would be grateful for any advice in this matter.

I would uh just continue with whatever has been working. Why reinvent the wheel?
+1 ^^^ this! I've also noticed the difference in the results using the formula from manual compared to the online results. I've tried both, and tbh, I prefer the manual's formula because it results in a slightly wetter mash, and I seem to get better conversion and less problems sparging. I don't worry if I get a little extra wort from it because I can either boil a little longer, or have a little extra in the fermenter. Since the beer is for my consumption (not a competition,) a couple of gravity points either way don't matter. Ed
:mug:

Already posted boys...she won't fit...been there done that way back...just sayin' as I find some folks don't digest threads well or give feedback here...some...
I ordered a Graincoat directly from Grainfather.com and it was too short. I was not able to secure it using the velcro. So 3 days worth of correspondence with iMake (they respond once per day) and they said they would send me a new one. The second new Graincoat arrived today... guess what? Too Short again!! It looks like they have a bad batch from their supplier.

I just received a Graincoat direct from Grainfather and while it was a tight fit, I was able, without too much trouble, to stretch it all the way around and got the velcro to completely attach.

I ordered a Graincoat directly from Grainfather.com and it was too short. I was not able to secure it using the velcro. So 3 days worth of correspondence with iMake (they respond once per day) and they said they would send me a new one. The second new Graincoat arrived today... guess what? Too Short again!! It looks like they have a bad batch from their supplier.

Quality control issues...mine was uber tight but on and haven't taken it off. Mind you I've only done four brews with it as I'm impatiently awaiting the new controller. IMake needs to get their **** together with production and delivery, as there's been three arrival delays already...

Quick pic of my setup....With extra screens in the bottom of mash shows how clean the tun looks when you lift it.

Where did you get your extra screens at? I have such a problem trying to keep the grains where they are supposed to be. I end up with a ton of them in the boil, and have to filter them out through a nylon hop bag on the way to the fermenter. It's a PITA

Where did you get your extra screens at? I have such a problem trying to keep the grains where they are supposed to be. I end up with a ton of them in the boil, and have to filter them out through a nylon hop bag on the way to the fermenter. It's a PITA
Hi. I used a SS splatter screen trimmed to same diameter as lower grain plate, but you can also use this screen from Ebay. Ed

s-l500.jpg

See post #1555 of how I did the bottom screens

I just used tin snips to cut the middle screen, the one from Ebay.

How did you guys cut it out? And did you guys only put one on the bottom, or the top one as well?

See post #1555 of how I did the bottom screens

I just used tin snips to cut the middle screen, the one from Ebay.

Also, please see post #2874. I just used heavy duty scissors to trim mine. I only use the fine screen, grain side up, on the lower (bottom) filter plate. The screen material is thin enough that both the screen plate and fine screen fit in the silicone border ring. Ed

Also, please see post #2874. I just used heavy duty scissors to trim mine. I only use the fine screen, grain side up, on the lower (bottom) filter plate. The screen material is thin enough that both the screen plate and fine screen fit in the silicone border ring. Ed

Which SS Splatter Screen did you go with? I'd like to do this as well as it seems a handy way to avoid so many grains leftover after the mash.

Already ordered some tea balls, 2-3" (got several as I found them for $1-$1.50 each on ebay). Figured I might use some for hops and then cut one in half for the cap on the down spout.

Which SS Splatter Screen did you go with? I'd like to do this as well as it seems a handy way to avoid so many grains leftover after the mash.

Already ordered some tea balls, 2-3" (got several as I found them for $1-$1.50 each on ebay). Figured I might use some for hops and then cut one in half for the cap on the down spout.

I went with the ebay one myself (ordered yesterday). Also dont forget trying that sinkstrainer trick on the overflow pipe (if you dont thottle pump anyway).

Hi. I got the two screen set at W-mart (10" & 13") and sacrificed the 10" one. I cut the center hole for the threaded portion of the overflow pipe, mounted it on the lower plate, then carefully trimmed it using scissors to match the edge. Obviously, I didn't keep the frame that came with it. You could also get one from Ebay like @skraeling did. BTW, don't trim it over carpet or you'll be picking little SS splinters out of your bare feet. Ed

OK so just to make sure I got this right,

@Tang,
You are using two screens on the bottom plate only, and using one screen on each side of it. So no screen for the top plate?

@redleg,
You are just using one screen, and it's on the bottom plate only, facing the grain side?

I'm just trying to figure out how many of those screens to order.

OK so just to make sure I got this right,

@Tang,
You are using two screens on the bottom plate only, and using one screen on each side of it. So no screen for the top plate?

@redleg,
You are just using one screen, and it's on the bottom plate only, facing the grain side?

I'm just trying to figure out how many of those screens to order.
Hi. Yes, I only use one fine mesh screen on the bottom plate, toward the grain. I believe the way Tang10 configured his was the GF bottom plate, the fine mesh screen toward the grain, the another domed false bottom plate (similar in style to the GF plate. Ed

Last edited:
Hi. Yes, I only use one fine mesh screen on the bottom plate, toward the grain. I believe the way @tango configured his was the GF bottom plate, the fine mesh screen toward the grain, the another domed false bottom plate (similar in style to the GA plate. Ed

Correct......I sandwich the fine mesh screen in between the grandfather bottom and the dome on top. I'm sure the fine mesh screen on top of the grainfather bottom one would be fine.

What do people think of using a false bottom connected with a hose to the pump inlet as a solution for a better hop screen? Seem like a bad idea?

That seems awesome tbh. Not sure how that would affect boil though.

I agree, I think that's the weak link in my plan.

Oh well, nothing invested but a little time.

So no one has found a way to add a much larger bottom filter into the grainfather yet have they? That would be a HUGE advantage I would imagine.

It'll probably be good too, based on your sig. As Mark Watney said in the movie "The Martian," "I'm going to have to science the **** of this!" Ed

So my thought is this. Bagging the actual grainfather filter with a very small paint strainer bag type thing. Sort of like how anyone thats run an RC vehicle will put a balloon over the receiver to keep water out of it.

Sort of a pre filter as it were.

The only other thing I could think of would be to literally machine your own filter thats physically bigger.

I had thought about having a pancake type filter made that connects up right to where the OEM one is with the little plastic. I then started thinking about scorching problems during the boil too.

There was another grain father clone in this thread somewhere that had a very nice setup, and I wonder if it could be used on the grainfather.

It very well possibly could work with the GF..With one caveat for the screen only BK30/standard size, from the item description: "Stainless clamp for dip tube included. Dip tube must be at least 6" long." That might be a problem, or not..Just clamp it onto the pump inlet tube??

So the one I was talking about is the Robobrew. It doesn't have a filter, but instead has a false bottom. I'm wondering if this one would work in the grainfather.

Well, I'm finally joining you guys. Due to a decent bonus check coming tomorrow and almost $300 in Amazon gift cards I just ordered the gf and graincoat. Decided to hold off on the connect controller until they get the android app issues sorted out. Can't wait to be able to try this thing out.

im finding that all my brews are suffering on effiency if i dont add rice hulls.... like a 6 point difference.. is anyone else struggling with effiency?

That's about what I thought as well. I emailed Kal to see if he modified his original design to have one fit a Grainfather.

Thanks for doing this! Please keep us updated. The crappy filter has been the primary reason why I haven't been brewing.

Ok just got the ebay mesh screen that showed up in the mail today. Im impressed. Very fine holes and this sucker has some weight to it. Should remain functional for quite some time. Excited to give this a try next batch.

8evWMvG.jpg

zl6rA87.jpg

T3QVx1q.jpg

Back