Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, the temp readout is meaningless, but it hasn't gotten old yet seeing it read 180 during the entire transfer while feeling the hot inlet into the chiller and the cold outlet at the same time into your fermenter! Yes, I'm new to a CFC. :)

Seabrew, your racking up the brews on that thing already aren't you? If that was a car lease you'd be over your mileage by now! Did you brew a batch and top up to fill your fermenter?

I'm looking forward to brew #4, an IPA, on Sunday with my brother at his house. He was here 2wks ago when I brewed, now I'll travel to his house with the GF (carefully!). Given his comments, it appears he's likely to join the GF family!

Yeah, i brewed a 23L cascade blonde in the fermenter at 1.056 yesterday and just added 3L of water to bring it down to 1.050. I used the dilution tool on brewer's friend. I had hoped for more final volume but i have to dial it in better.

This brew is my planned BMC pleaser so to speak and some for my parents and its the only relative big fermenter i have right now. The first batch is going over really well!

I'm liking that idea of pulling the ball and spring out and trying it next time. I guess long as you close the valve all should be good.

I tried an IPA recipe without using the hop filter this last weekend and worked like a charm, no clogging once I learned to not turn on the pump all the way when chilling. This was 5.2 ounces of hop total with a 3 oz. hopstand. The hop smell was huge during the boil and hopstand which I didn't get from the filter. I wonder how this IPA is going to come out vs. ones that I used the filter. if anyone wants the recipe let me know. :mug: Anyway thought I would share. I want to do an even larger hop amount next one and see how it does (like the video has the guy with 8 oz).

img_0744-66764.jpg

img_0745-66765.jpg

img_0746-66766.jpg

No filter! Now were thinking outside the box! :D

I'm liking that idea of pulling the ball and spring out and trying it next time. I guess long as you close the valve all should be good.

I tried an IPA recipe without using the hop filter this last weekend and worked like a charm, no clogging once I learned to not turn on the pump all the way when chilling. This was 5.2 ounces of hop total with a 3 oz. hopstand. The hop smell was huge during the boil and hopstand which I didn't get from the filter. I wonder how this IPA is going to come out vs. ones that I used the filter. if anyone wants the recipe let me know. :mug: Anyway thought I would share. I want to do an even larger hop amount next one and see how it does (like the video has the guy with 8 oz).

img_0744-66764.jpg

img_0745-66765.jpg

img_0746-66766.jpg

Thanks for this. Just got my grainfather, haven't brewed yet but was worried because I brew a lot of hoppy beers and didn't want to use bags, as I'm sure you get much lower utilization.

When you say don't turn the pump on all the way when chilling, what do you mean? I thought it was just an on/off switch, do you mean the red ball valve switch?

That's all I brew are hoppy beers and figure why not give it try and go all in this time. Yep, the ball valve, sorry. I opened until the wort just started coming out of the chiller. Now I want to brew another one with more hops! It's actually fun on the GF and can't wait until the next round.

That's all I brew are hoppy beers and figure why not give it try and go all in this time. Yep, the ball valve, sorry. I opened until the wort just started coming out of the chiller. Now I want to brew another one with more hops! It's actually fun on the GF and can't wait until the next round.

Scallop, that's interesting I've got a hop basket and was wondering how much utilization I'd get given how clogged up it was. I haven't been 100% pleased with the basket & I have 60 days to return, so I may just do that reading your and others positive experience with the GF filter working so well.

What do you guys consider hoppy brews? I done a light 25 IBU blonde and i really liked the cascade hop presence. But my 40 IBU both according to brewersfriend, ESB doesn't seem so "hoppy". I think it was the cold crash and gelatin though...they are commerical level clear with no chill haze.

I'm doing my second ESB now and it will be 48 IBU.

1oz Perle 60min
1oz williametter 20min
1oz fuggles 0min

What do you guys consider hoppy brews? I done a light 25 IBU blonde and i really liked the cascade hop presence. But my 40 IBU both according to brewersfriend, ESB doesn't seem so "hoppy". I think it was the cold crash and gelatin though...they are commerical level clear with no chill haze.

I'm doing my second ESB now and it will be 48 IBU.

1oz Perle 60min
1oz williametter 20min
1oz fuggles 0min

Depends on hop, IBU/Gravity ratio and time of addition, I think. So a low IBU / low Gravity can be considered "hoppy", but not on a high gravity. My last smash was ~60 IBUs with 66 OG, nicely hoppy but not overly. First addition of 1oz @30 (was lowering the bitterness) next 1oz @ 5 and 1oz 15min whirlpool, along with 2oz DH. So 5 in all, came out hoppy. I've also done similar additions hit 84 IBUs on a 71 OG and that was hoppy. My porters and stouts with 1 oz, 1/2 full boil, not hoppy!

The real last FYI :D I would recommend anyone who has pump issues with the GF remove the spring and ball in the valve and try that.

I fear this! One slip up, pump on and valve open and whoosh hot wort all over! In a jam, I could see this as a good fix though. I haven't opened mine up but will take a look. I guess one advantage of the hop basket is the lack of hop material in the boil. So even if another fyi, its a good one!

First brew going down tonight. Reflectix jacket is on, grain is crushed. Doing a simple Centennial Blonde to get used to the system, then a Galaxy Pale over the weekend to see if I can clog the pump!

Scallop, that's interesting I've got a hop basket and was wondering how much utilization I'd get given how clogged up it was. I haven't been 100% pleased with the basket & I have 60 days to return, so I may just do that reading your and others positive experience with the GF filter working so well.

Honestly based on this last brew without and probably 6-7 with it I am not going to use it moving forward. Maybe it has a place still in the brew operation but honestly the filter was a pain the arse sometimes, it wouldn't drain and would be clogged most of the time -meaning once the wort dropped below I'd still be left with a fair amount in the filter that wouldn't drain. so had to lift it up and turn it over to drain out - not fun with the lid and chiller on the top, it would always spill.

I fear this! One slip up, pump on and valve open and whoosh hot wort all over! In a jam, I could see this as a good fix though. I haven't opened mine up but will take a look. I guess one advantage of the hop basket is the lack of hop material in the boil. So even if another fyi, its a good one!

I've only completed 2 brews so far. I've taken mine apart to clean both times after running PBW thru and both times there was debris in the spring. I would just consider it part of my cleaning routine. Ymmv.

Getting ready for session 3. I love being able to get so much done in between steps. Strike water heating now. 3 oz of whole hops for this brew. Let's see what happens. I really dislike screens and bags.

I am maxed out for fermentation capacity as well as serving keg capacity.I have 3 corny kegs waiting to be cold crashed and 2 corny kegs that are nearly done gurgling.I have 3 corny kegs full of yummy delicious beer but sadly I have to replace my beer lines in my keezer.I got the keezer all set up just before Chistmas only to discover a leak 3 days later and it really demoralized me.I got the keezer all cleaned out and I got the new lines now all I have to do it get motivated and install them in the tower which I removed.

RMCB

Honestly based on this last brew without and probably 6-7 with it I am not going to use it moving forward. Maybe it has a place still in the brew operation but honestly the filter was a pain the arse sometimes, it wouldn't drain and would be clogged most of the time -meaning once the wort dropped below I'd still be left with a fair amount in the filter that wouldn't drain. so had to lift it up and turn it over to drain out - not fun with the lid and chiller on the top, it would always spill.

I ran into similar issue the filter getting clogged. I pulled it out early in the transfer process and used a sanitized ladle to scoop out wort. I have my chiller on a stool alongside instead of on top, with plenty of room to move around the kitchen,I like it there instead of on top.

I've only completed 2 brews so far. I've taken mine apart to clean both times after running PBW thru and both times there was debris in the spring. I would just consider it part of my cleaning routine. Ymmv.

I will certainly take a look tomorrow, never thought of it, not sure its on the GF cleaning suggestion, but seems like it should be!

Getting ready for session 3. I love being able to get so much done in between steps. Strike water heating now. 3 oz of whole hops for this brew. Let's see what happens. I really dislike screens and bags.

Let us know how the whole hops work. I have a bunch from a Hops Direct order I placed around Thanksgiving (Gobble till you Wobble Sale!). So I will be trying them out shortly.

First brew going down tonight. Reflectix jacket is on, grain is crushed. Doing a simple Centennial Blonde to get used to the system, then a Galaxy Pale over the weekend to see if I can clog the pump!

Share a first brew report when you get a chance!:)

Share a first brew report when you get a chance!:)

First brew went really well... until I hooked up the chiller to a garden faucet in my garage. Water went everywhere, couldn't get a good seal with the attachments that they included. I tried everything, and after making a huge mess with water (it's -15 Celcius here right now), I gave up. Guess I'm doing no chill until I can figure out these connections.

Otherwise, the system is absolutely incredible. The boil was plenty vigarous, and the time to heat water up was not bad at all, although I used hot tap water to start.

First brew went really well... until I hooked up the chiller to a garden faucet in my garage. Water went everywhere, couldn't get a good seal with the attachments that they included. I tried everything, and after making a huge mess with water (it's -15 Celcius here right now), I gave up. Guess I'm doing no chill until I can figure out these connections.

Otherwise, the system is absolutely incredible. The boil was plenty vigarous, and the time to heat water up was not bad at all, although I used hot tap water to start.

That blows, the chilling should be a sweet process. I've had no issues with my setup for chilling. If the seal that leaked was between hose bib and attachment, sounds like an extra washer? If was where blue hose attaches, then a good hose clamp on barb does the trick nicely enough. Hope you can get it figured out.

I've read not to use hot tap water unless you have a tank-less system.

Glad to hear the rest went well! Looking forward to brewing this Sunday!

I have a slow leak from the cold water tap connector, i just place a small towel over it.

Yeah i brewed 3 batches this week.

First brew: Pump slowed due to not having the little rubber fitting in the filter over the "groove" - it did slowly get in the fermenter though after many stop/go's, whirlpooling etc

Second brew: Worked fine.

Third brew: Clogged due to hop debris in the check valve/spring and ball.

So i think if you clean the check valve after every brew you should be fine or remove it altogether if you experience any problems.

However, i think i'm just going to remove it altogether. The pump rate - after removing the spring/ball - was the best i seen for the chill process after 5 brews. Note: The older GF versions didn't have a check valve or even a ball valve.

And yeah Kampenken GF youtube vids do show how to clean the check valve. I'm not sure of the recommendations per se.

How long does a brew say take on average for you guys? I might need to brew during the week but I work at 2:30pm-11. Trying to figure out what time to wake up haha.

Without cleaning up too much afterwards 4+ hours for me. I usually just rinse out the boiler a little and give it a good cleaning the next day.

This is ideal though if you have any issues it will be closer to 6 hours.

Ballpark numbers: Based on 60min boil.

2.5 hours to mash/sparge
75-90 min to boil
30-45 min to chill and pitch

This is including heat up times. You can cut these numbers down a nice bit by using hot tap water of course. I did it once and can't remeber if i tasted a difference. :) But if i was trying to do this quickly i would use hot tap water. Geez i mashed for 90min last batch. :D

Caveat: This will be a relaxing 4+ hours. :D

Anyone come up with any ideas to strengten the upper tubing bracket? Maybe even a few locknut type screws will improve it so it doesn't shift so much.

On further review...I think this is the reason i will takeout the check valve. Those brackets are not really robust enough to be taking the valve apart all the time.

Ok, brew # 2 much smoother.

Effeciency was 72% which I'm fine with, it's what I used to get on my propane system. I had an ounce of leaf hops which I used at flameout, along with another ounce of pellet for a total of 4 oz. in the beer. Holy crap, did those leaf soak up a lot of beer. The pump ran, although output was quite slow... wort was 48F coming out!!! Only ended up with 4 gallons in the fermenter, after 5.25 at the end of the boil.

Some tweaking to do on my end, but what a beautiful piece of kit!

Oh, and just a warning, I knocked the rubber end off of the pump filter when I was cleaning, thankfully I found it as I was dumping out the waste water!

Quite simple. Obtain a 3/8" brass tee, a 3/8" close nipple and a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer. (Home depot or Lowes carry them.) And a 2" probe thermometer like the ones used on Mash kettles which are normally 1/2" NPT. Disconnect the hose and connect the nipple in place and attach the tee and then attach the reducer to the thermometer and then to the outlet on the tee and reconnect the hose. Of course, use teflon tape on all connections.

outlet flow
nipple
tee reducer thermometer
hose

PSV0rpHrdrJZBVYwJINbRyc8oug2zdvRIFsjf9ak0EY

I really want an inline thermometer for my cf chiller, but mine fits 1/4 inch threads, not 3/8. I can't even use a thrumometer, as the supplied hose is less than 3/8 ID. This means I'd have to reduce from 1/2 to 1/4 inch, so no thermometer probe will be long enough. Any ideas?

I really want an inline thermometer for my cf chiller, but mine fits 1/4 inch threads, not 3/8. I can't even use a thrumometer, as the supplied hose is less than 3/8 ID. This means I'd have to reduce from 1/2 to 1/4 inch, so no thermometer probe will be long enough. Any ideas?

I say you should suggest this innovation to the makers of the Grainfather for what could be a product upgrade that is hopefully retroactive to previously sold Grainfather units.

RMCB

How long does a brew say take on average for you guys? I might need to brew during the week but I work at 2:30pm-11. Trying to figure out what time to wake up haha.
Brewed today at my brothers house- about 6hrs with thorough clean & dry & packed away.

3 oz of whole hops no issue
Cool. I'm back on fence with hop basket or bags. Today 4oz of hops directly into boiler, pump was slow. Removed check valve (thanks for that guys!), picked up rate but not as good with hop basket. I dunno. With these cold tap temps it cools way down with filter on full and water 1/2 way.

Ok, brew # 2 much smoother.

Effeciency was 72% which I'm fine with.... Only ended up with 4 gallons...
I assume with the low volume you're quoting kettle efficiency?

I'm trying to estimate wort temp based on cooling water return (red hose). Today wort was 10 below water return temp, I thought it would be closer to 5, so cooled too low again. Imagine that!

Anyone come up with any ideas to strengten the upper tubing bracket? Maybe even a few locknut type screws will improve it so it doesn't shift so much.

On further review...I think this is the reason i will takeout the check valve. Those brackets are not really robust enough to be taking the valve apart all the time.

No, it is a bit troubling to think how easy that could snap. If I continue with hop basket or bags I will leave check valve, else may join you there. Removal did help yesterday!

Yeah i brewed 3 batches this week.

First brew: Pump slowed due to not having the little rubber fitting in the filter over the "groove" - it did slowly get in the fermenter though after many stop/go's, whirlpooling etc

Second brew: Worked fine.

Third brew: Clogged due to hop debris in the check valve/spring and ball.

So i think if you clean the check valve after every brew you should be fine or remove it altogether if you experience any problems.

However, i think i'm just going to remove it altogether. The pump rate - after removing the spring/ball - was the best i seen for the chill process after 5 brews. Note: The older GF versions didn't have a check valve or even a ball valve.

And yeah Kampenken GF youtube vids do show how to clean the check valve. I'm not sure of the recommendations per se.

I saw in GF instruction sheet in the assembly section a mention to clean check valve, but missing from cleaning section!

Also I noticed the little black filter pickup grommet has a small tear at the ridge where it installs! Anyone else? I've been careful too as the SS filter has a sharp edge there.

That sucks man! Maybe they will send you another one? I think they should of included a spare one myself.

Thinking out loud again :D I think i will keep the the rubber pickup tubing in the filter for now on instead of removing it all the time... shouldn't be much harder to clean...

I really have no idea what to call the thing haha

Does anyone know what the pump insides are make of? It most likely is a centrifugal pump with a type of "propeller". I would guess SS but i'm not sure...

It would be nice to know so you can figure out what kind of cleaners you can use. For instance, i used Spray Nine on the outside face of the boiler yestesday and it looks better then it did out of the box!

No, it is a bit troubling to think how easy that could snap. If I continue with hop basket or bags I will leave check valve, else may join you there. Removal did help yesterday!

I saw in GF instruction sheet in the assembly section a mention to clean check valve, but missing from cleaning section!

Also I noticed the little black filter pickup grommet has a small tear at the ridge where it installs! Anyone else? I've been careful too as the SS filter has a sharp edge there.

I have a tear in mine also. Do they sell just the grommet? I guess I'd better say something about this to my LHBS where I bought it. I was wondering why they didn't use braided stainless steel or false bottom instead of the filter they chose.

That sucks man! Maybe they will send you another one? I think they should of included a spare one myself.

Thinking out loud again :D I think i will keep the the rubber pickup tubing in the filter for now on instead of removing it all the time... shouldn't be much harder to clean...

I really have no idea what to call the thing haha
Yes it does! I will reach out to GF on this and may just leave it well alone too.

Does anyone know what the pump insides are make of? It most likely is a centrifugal pump with a type of "propeller". I would guess SS but i'm not sure...

It would be nice to know so you can figure out what kind of cleaners you can use. For instance, i used Spray Nine on the outside face of the boiler yestesday and it looks better then it did out of the box!
Yeah but now you have to have a prominent place to display your shiny new toy! Maybe tear out some kitchen counter space for it!!

I have a tear in mine also. Do they sell just the grommet? I guess I'd better say something about this to my LHBS where I bought it. I was wondering why they didn't use braided stainless steel or false bottom instead of the filter they chose.
Uh oh, that sounds like a certain weak spot then. 4 brews in for me. I think seabrew might be right to keep it together. At this point it's a small enough tear that there shouldn't be any issue, but still....

Not sure I follow your dilemma...I know they made some changes to the CF chiller since mine but are you saying it is 1/4" instead of 3/8" now? Wow, that's a bit small.... I suspect it is 5/16 if smaller....

you could go from 1/4 or 5/16 to 3/8 coming off chiller with a reducer (reverse thinking) and then continue on as I showed.....

I'm having a very hard time getting the bottom plate of the basket to go in without the gasket coming off. I have tried spraying with water but not having any luck... Any tips?

Brew #3 went well. Hit all my volumes using a combination of Beersmith and Grainfather website for mash/sparge volumes.

Effeciency is low, about 68-70, could be crush - Graincrusher on factory settings.

I feel a bit stupid, I've only ever used immersion chillers and realized I should be recircing the chilled wort back into the grainfather until the temp drops, otherwise my late hops are going to be wasted by being in contact with hot wort for a long time.

I was able to pump with 4 oz. of hops, it was slow but I kept gently scraping off the filter.

Back