Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just make sure you run PBW through it as directed and then the fresh water rinse! Good luck with your first brew and take some pictures for us!

Thanks! I will post some pics later. I have yet another dinner party to attend tonight and need to leave around 4pm, so will brew tomorrow but will run the cleaning and rinse cycles and just familiarize myself with this. The kitchen faucet is not conducive to a hose attachment, so I will run a short hose out kitchen window to spout below with a shut off on inside (don't want a hose running up from basement)- I've had a nice setup with quick disconnects that I am planning to use. I'm actually glad to take the test here slow and brew tomorrow.

I've just put this all together now, this "version" of the GF is slightly different than the GF assembly (possibly due to US version or just some improvements?), so I began with the video assembly alongside the instructions and found the video helpful, the instructions perfect. Some comments from my assembly:

1) Wet the seal on the bottom perforated plate, turned basket upside down to get it to seat and watch the silicone seal seats well.
2) Video showed a hose clamp for fitting the discharge pipe, this was changed to a small plastic ring. Not sure how I like this, as I'm not entirely sure I have been able to fit the ring over the top roll of the silicone tube. Anyone else have issues on this part?
3) Surprised how the pump filter fits in. I'm sure it works, just a bit surprising as it seemed to fit easily over the pump inlet.
4) I put a hose clamp on the cold water inlet tube from the chiller over the hose barb.

Onto clean and rinse! :)

I didn't put hose clamp on and had a blow out right at the end of chilling. Thank god I was in the laundry room.

I'm with you on #2 and #3. I had to dip the rod in boiling water to get it in the rubber pump outlet, and the black plastic ring was tough to get up to the top. I too am sort of just guessing that I got all that setup correctly.

As far as the pump filter, I've never heard of anyone complain about it coming off, but yeah, it was weird to me how it just easily slid onto that black rubber piece. I haven't run the system yet as I'm waiting for a replacement basket to be sent, but I expect it will work fine.

2) Video showed a hose clamp for fitting the discharge pipe, this was changed to a small plastic ring. Not sure how I like this, as I'm not entirely sure I have been able to fit the ring over the top roll of the silicone tube. Anyone else have issues on this part?

Ok, I'm out in the garage putting mine together at the moment, and I've figured out what the problem is with the black plastic ring that is supposed to create a water-tight seal on the pump discharge. The plastic ring has two different sides: a thicker side and a thinner side. The thinner side has to face outward (towards the stainless pipe). If it's the other way, it's next to impossible to fit over the outer top role of the silicone tube.

Lookin good with the reflectix. I got the Graincoat, somehow I have a feeling reflectix will be more efficient but who knows. Just did my first heating test. I had recirc and lid on for the first 75% of the test. Graincoat on for entire test:

My tap water came out of kitchen sink at 136F (I am at sea level). Nice.

136 - 155F: 12 minutes
155 - 200F: 27 minutes
200 - 210F: 10 minutes
210 - 212F: 10 minutes

From tap to mash temps: approx 15 mins
From mash out to boil: approx 40 mins

I'll be honest, I didn't think this thing was gonna boil. I was at 211 for about 10 minutes and was getting more bitter by the second. When it hit 212 and started a mellow boil, it didn't beep or flash HH, maybe it could have gone up another degree? I turned it off, satisfied with the boil I saw. I highly doubt it would have boiled without the Graincoat. Anyways, those ramp up numbers aren't bad at all but I'm a bit lucky with the hot water out of the tap. I guess this test was successful.

My GF came in yesterday. Got her put together and cleaned. Planning a Pale ale tomorrow or fri. I'm off work until Mon so chances are that i will have 2 or 4 brews on the GF by then.

Went to the lhbs today. My inaugural brew with the GF will be on New Year's Day and will be my first ever Saison and my first ever Belgian beer. :mug:

Ok, I'm out in the garage putting mine together at the moment, and I've figured out what the problem is with the black plastic ring that is supposed to create a water-tight seal on the pump discharge. The plastic ring has two different sides: a thicker side and a thinner side. The thinner side has to face outward (towards the stainless pipe). If it's the other way, it's next to impossible to fit over the outer top role of the silicone tube.

Brilliant! I didn't think of, or see that, I will have to check mine tomorrow morning. Yeah I too put the discharge pipe in boiling water due to the tight fit.

My latest (overkill) thought... Seems many are putting the reflectix onto the GF. Reflectix rates to 180 degrees. Concern? I may use pipe insulation as a barrier. All removable, air space will incr R rating and pipe insulation temp rating should be fine. If this works I will post pics.

Brew day is coming tomorrow!

Ok got the reflectix wrap on the GF. I split pipe insulation I had lying around lengthwise in half. Wrapped that around and attached to itself with electrical tape, not taped to GF and sticks nicely, for now! 3 separate wraps- top, bottom, middle. Then measured for reflectix making 2 separate blankets that hold together at overlaps with command strips (Velcro like, very sturdy). Cut notches for discharge tube bracket and small relief X for temp probe. This is all removable if I choose.

image.jpg

Wow, this thing kicks butt with my new outlet. 214 degrees and a rolling boil. GF effiecency calculator said I got 100%. Not sure how true this is but my pre-boil OG was a lot higher than expected. My times are 85-151 deg 25min. 151-169 deg 6min. 168-214 deg 38min.

Right on!

Do not recirc the wort from the chiller back into the kettle. Complete waste of time and will end up taking longer to cool the wort. After the boil ends, recirc the wort for about 5 to 10 minutes without turning on the cooling water. This sanitizes the inside copper tubing of the chiller. Once that is done turn the cooling water on while the wort out hose is still in the pot. Restrict the red valve a 1/4 of the way. Put your hand on the wort out hose. Once it starts feeling cool to the touch it's ready to be placed into the fermenter. Close the red valve. Place the wort out hose into the fermenter and then open the valve slowly. Again, do not open it fully. This accomplishes two things. It allows the wort to cool more efficiently and also prevents the pump filter from getting a compacted hops cake which could lead to a clog.

X2.

Also, don't confuse the temp reading on the controller with the temp on the wort out hose. Feel the wort out hose to help you know when it is ready to pump into your fermentor.

Don't know...I didn't like the idea of using that plastic ring so I oped for a hose clamp instead.

Brewed yesterday afternoon and beer is bubbling away this morning, was a good experience with highs and lows.

Highs- GF performed better than expected:
1) Temps- I recorded temps at 5 min intervals, they were evenly distributed and I didn't recirc. :
57 @ 0min, 64 @ 5, 74 @ 10, then +9 every 5 min (perfectly evenly) until my strike temp of 164 was reached.
I was very pleased with these results! Messed around with non-brewing things and started to run out of time with milling grains and getting water adjustments together. Temps from end of sparge (152 to 184 in 25 min) then rose an even 6 degrees/5 min interval right up to boil. I covered the glass lid with towels to assist (rate did NOT slow down as it neared boil!)
2) Boil- Very pleased. Not the splashing roll I get with my jet of propane, but nice roll as has been posted by others here.
3) Cooling- Very efficient. I recirc for sanitizing and for hop whirlpool for 15 min. Turned on cold water about 3/4 way full and shut red valve on discharge pipe down to about 1/4 to 1/3 open. Instant cool by the time the wort running through met with the cold water. Water return was also surprisingly cool, not used to that with my IC. Next time I will run recirc at 1/2 to 3/4 open, no need to run that slow (~20-25min?) but down to 61.
4) Hit my OG spot on. I use Brewer's Friend and insert 70% brewhouse eff. Guess I got lucky with estimate. I didn't make all the other measurements, such as pre-boil gravity or volumes unfortunately. All in very pleased.

Lows- Too many pilot errors. I was on auto-pilot and made some stupid mistakes:
1) Forgot to insert grain basket! Realized this after pouring about 1/2 of grains in boiler. So 5.6g & 7lbs of grain in boiler at ~160. Uh oh. Bailed out GF with pitcher into a bucket. Removed hop filter and cleaned out GF.
2) Put grain basket in, poured back in grains & water from bucket. Ok. Mixed in rest of grains, feeling good...then oh ****, there's the filter on the counter. :mad: Rinse and repeat. Pull grain basket, put in bucket (too tight of a fit, next time into kettle), bail out boiler again into another bucket. Install filter. Only spilled a cup or so, sticky and annoyed me, ha!, more to come...
3) Late on heating sparge water, gave in to putting kettle on propane. Damn.
4) Once at boil, I scraped the bottom as instructed and bumped the hop filter and sure enough the black end cap came up floating in my wort. Crap. No rinse and repeat this time, just move on, as I figure I'm using my new hop filter.
5) At first hop addition I threw in hops as usual. Oh crap. Forgot the hop basket. Shouldn't have been talking so much while brewing this first time!
6) During cooling captured a bucket of discharge water as usual, and attention diverted until I heard that unpleasant sound of water running all over the floor! Grabbed hose quickly, put into sink, started cleaning up water and then again heard water running on floor:mad::mad: How the heck did that hose come out of sink!! Put back in sink good this time.

So more lows listed than highs, but still overall after I get this worked out, I'm sure I will be very pleased. Wrapping the GF was a huge help for the temps I'm certain. I may return the hop basket, I needed to rig a counter weight (used a cup!) to keep it from tipping into the boil, and besides I'm not certain its value vs muslin bags.

This was on a 20A breaker. Only the micro, disposal and one other kitchen outlet were on the line and I installed a GFCI alongside the switch for the disposal so outlet is down low (and about 5' from panel). I did however find that the GF cord at 5', and about 1.5' off the floor (from bottom of controller) would've been enough for me to plug into outlet at counter top. No need for an ext cord here, which is what I wanted to avoid.
And good luck with your brew day, remember the grain basket!

I just took out the safety valve spring and ball valve and no more clogs. I don't even see the purpose of this device anyway. Not that I'm suggesting anyone else do the same, but it did fix the problem.

Mine has stayed at 214 degrees the entire time and never once acted like it was going to boil over (I know this is a ploy--once you turn your back...). I definitely don't know what all the fuss has been about the boil. I never let my propane system boil more than this. It's more than sufficient.

View attachment 1451680008536.jpg

I agree with you gspot. I too kept 214 entire time and also never let my propane system boil harder. I also can't believe efficiency. I will have to work on my calculations thou. I wanted 5.5 gal and ended up with 6. I think it was because GF calcs are for 90 min boil and not 60.

I agree with you gspot. I too kept 214 entire time and also never let my propane system boil harder. I also can't believe efficiency. I will have to work on my calculations thou. I wanted 5.5 gal and ended up with 6. I think it was because GF calcs are for 90 min boil and not 60.

Did you use the reflectix? I'm going to run an all water test monday without anything to see how it goes - 15a breaker.

If it doesn't work out i will put in a 20a breaker and if that doesn't work some insulation. :)

Did you use the Grainfather app for water needed? Beersmith seems to add an extra 1/2 gallon for some reason.

Did you use the Grainfather app for your water needed?

I watched one video of the guy who represents grainfather, he said most of his grain bills are 6.5kg - so thats what i'll going with for the first batch and following the water recommendations.

I figured if these guys have been testing the system for a few years they must of learnt something. :)

Did you use the reflectix? I'm going to run an all water test monday without anything to see how it goes - 15a breaker.

If it doesn't work out i will put in a 20a breaker and if that doesn't work some insulation. :)

I have a single wrap. I had a role laying around and figured it couldn't hurt.

Did you use the Grainfather app for water needed?

No, I made a simple spreadsheet using the formulae in the instruction manual. I'd be glad to share it with anyone interested.

All the circuits in my shop where I brew are 20 amp, and every outlet is on a dedicated circuit. I did have reflectix on the entire time.

Well, I just wrapped up my first Grainfather brew day, and I'm beyond pleased. I can't tell you how I wish this thing had been available 15 years ago when I first started. That was the most laid-back, enjoyable brew day I've ever had. Even the dreaded clean-up was easier (almost effortless really). If this thing died the day after its warranty expired, I'd buy it again. I'm already planning my next brew. It's almost too easy.

Seabrew8- I will be very interested in your results, especially on the 15a circuit, not to mention "naked GF"! When will you brew?

Well, I think you all have me sold. I've planned on going electric for a while. But for now I'm renting a house that I don't have basement access for a true Electric Brewery. I live in New England, so boiling on my burner outside depends on the weather. I want to brew whenever I want, not just nice days. After all, isn't a rainy or snowy day a great day to spend brewing? I was worried about the boil because the unit seems too good to be true. But from what I'm hearing and seeing from all of you, I think a good wrap will be all it takes. I'll probably still build an electric brewery at some point, but I could see this working for the next few years. I may give it a break in the summer and use my gas all-grain sytem to get out in the sunshine once in a while. I know a couple of you are testing it now still, so I may see how yours turns out, but most likely the excitement will get to me and I'll order it tonight. Thanks a lot for all your info. This forum was exactly what I needed! I'll post pictures and brew day info when I do go through with it.
One quick question... Anyone considering the still attachment?

Hey all! First brew on the GF two days ago. Really pleased! Efficiency, easy of use, small footprint-all exactly what I needed. If you are on the fence I'd say leap. I waited a long time trying to decide between breweasy, braumeister, colorado brewing systems, brewha and brewboss. Then along came the GF for hundreds (in some cases thousands) less and it became a no brainer.
However, I can personally attest that it's not fool proof. This fool vigorously stirred in his lactose with 15 minutes left in the boil of a milk stout and knocked off the pump filter assembly:( The ensuing post boil chill was marked by repeated blockages and slow trickle to the fermenter. Eventually, all my crystal clear wort (nice change from my BIAB days) made it and is bubbling nicely now.
Unfortunately, my pump still seems to be slightly plugged despite a 20min hot recirc with PBW.
Thus two questions for the pros 1) Have you folks engineered a way to better secure the pump filter assembly, and the rubber end cap? I was thinking a couple plastic ratchet ties but would hate to see that melt into my wort.
2) Anyone with experience taking out the pump? If it's easy I'd like to go in there and remove any stuck hop material. If it's hard I'll just use a pipe cleaner on either side of the pump to restore 100% flow.
Thanks!!

Well, I just wrapped up my first Grainfather brew day, and I'm beyond pleased. I can't tell you how I wish this thing had been available 15 years ago when I first started. That was the most laid-back, enjoyable brew day I've ever had. Even the dreaded clean-up was easier (almost effortless really). If this thing died the day after its warranty expired, I'd buy it again. I'm already planning my next brew. It's almost too easy.

Great to hear!!I am 20 mins into my mash on my first GF brew. Pretty excited to say the least. Planning another brew tomorrow.

I've planned on going electric for a while. ...I live in New England, so boiling on my burner outside depends on the weather. I want to brew whenever I want, not just nice days.

Your situation is similar to mine. When I was reestablishing my brewery after a hiatus, I really admired what theelectricbrewery.com had to offer, but can't afford that setup and feel it's a bit overkill for my needs. GF offers all those advantages and then some at a very fair price point.

I'm 20 mins into my boil and I have a decent amount of grain particles floating in the kettle. I think I may have used to fine a crush.I was trying to achieve max efficiency.

Certainly not a knock on you blkandrust... More of an academic statement... Efficiency is oddly one of those "pot of golds and ends of rainbows". We chase high efficiency as an ideal but really, what for? Grain is relatively cheap. Another pound or half of grain sets you back, what, a $1.50? On a $25 brew and the ridiculous amount we spend on hardware, it's almost silly.

In my experience, I also find myself bumping my mill finer and finer to get higher efficiency, and what do I get in return?? Stuck-ish mash early on!! Yet I keep wanting to keep it fine! Nobody is going to give anyone a medal for "highest mash efficiency", so we should let it go as long as we achieve around 70%! Anyway, I digress...

I didn't wait at all. My GrainFather will be here Thursday. Haha I just feel I'll brew way more with the simplicity of it. My fermtor is empty right now and it's driving me crazy. Don't want to deal with the propaine going out because of the cold anymore. Have the Grain Coat coming as well. Pretty excited.

Back