Grainfather with Alembic Condenser - Theoretical Plates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickdude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey group,

I've been playing with this system for a couple of years now and I'm still learning a great deal. I've gotten a good system down for producing a neutral spirit, but I want to get some thoughts from others before I branch out. The biggest part of which is regarding my overhead temps and proofs.

The things that I've read indicate that, for a pot still, the hearts should be coming over between 91 and 95 C at 130 to 160 proof. In my system, what I collect between 91 and 95 is more like 90 to 130 proof. I think this is because the Grainfather's alembic condenser has less surface area (thus less theoretical plates) than other pot stills.

If I get agreement on that point, the next question is what I should be paying attention to as the best judge of where to look for hearts. As it is, I typically won't taste the stuff that is much below 91 C because I'd rather have too little heads rather than too much, but I also want to be efficient (and not keep re-distilling heads). And here's the other thing-- I'm a chemist and I have found that odors that foul to others don't particularly bother me after spending 30 years playing with various stinky things; that's why I'm kind of paranoid about going too deeply into the heads.

Any thoughts?

Rick

Latest posts

Back