Dipping: Making the Cuts. Heads Hearts & Tails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk98

Reaction score
Dip your fingers under the product as it comes out of your Parrot or Condenser.
Rub your hands together and smell!

I should say, I a 6 Plate column still.

Make your collection jars as small as possible and number them 0 thru 20 or 30.
Zero being your foreshots or methanol.
I Keep Zero to learn from the smell but make sure it gets thrown out!
I run 100L boiler and try to collect 300-400ml in 500ml jars all the way through the run. (You may need smaller jars and collections for smaller stills)
Make notes on the smell of each dip for every jar.
At first it’s hard to tell, but after my 3rd batch things became clearer on what I was smelling! It was easier to tell when I was moving from heads to hearts. Tails was a little tougher as the smell wasn’t unpleasant but just different.

When I’m done the run I cover each of my jars with a coffee filter and screw the jar ring over filter leaving the lid off.
Now let sit for 2 days.
LET IT BREATH!
I’m not exactly sure what particulate’s are evaporating off, but it does make a difference! (Not sure on my terminology here, I was kicked out of chemistry in grade 10
:shock:
)

Put your lids back on after a day or 2 and prepare for tasting.
For the taste test I use small 3ml “Tippet” and draw 1 full squirt (3ml) of 190 proof into a separate glass and then add 2 full squirts (6ml) of distilled water. You don’t need much, just enough to cover your tongue.
9ml total seems to be a perfect taste size for me, plus it knocks my alcohol percentage down to a third. Around 31-32%. Much easier to taste!
Smell it, and now taste it.
Let it sit in your mouth for a while.
Maybe even a little swish.
Don’t swallow!
Spit out your sample and rinse your glass and your mouth good with fresh water.
Remember to make notes for each number jar.

I try to start in the center, jar 10 out of 20.
Smell and taste.
Move left towards heads by 3 to jar 7.
Smell and taste.
Make notes.
Move left by 3 to jar 4.
Smell and taste.
Now go to jar 1.
Notice the differences?
Now move up one to jar 2…
Then to 3…
Where does Hearts start?
What do you like?
Where your Hearts starts should be obvious. The nail polish harshness is gone!
I push my jars back, away from me on the table that I like the taste of and that I know are Hearts.
I’m keeping those!

Now you have figured out where your Hearts are…
Go to the right from jar 10 to jar 13.
Same as before.
Smell and taste and so on.
Going into tails is always confusing.
It can taste way different but not necessarily bad.
I usually keep what I call Tails off to the side and use for something else. But, some of these Tails jars can definitely be added to your Hearts if you like the taste and smell.
When it starts to taste like wet cardboard you are done. Usually your alcohol percentage coming off the still has already dropped off by this time.

To the experienced…
Please critique my method!

Happy Heads Hearts & Tails!

Last edited:
I like your jump between jars method for learning about taste differences.

Are you making cuts on a reflux (like your avatar) or pot still?

Brew on :mug:

Thanks!
Yes sir! Reflux
How much does proof fall off towards the end of the run? Do you distill straight from the wash, or do a stripping run(s) first.

l've only taken cuts when doing spirit runs on my pot. So far, just kept everything (except the foreshots) when using reflux column.

How much does proof fall off towards the end of the run? Do you distill straight from the wash, or do a stripping run(s) first.

l've only taken cuts when doing spirit runs on my pot. So far, just kept everything (except the foreshots) when using reflux column.

Once my wash is done I siphon straight into the boiler. No need for stripping runs. I can go from 13% Sugarwash to 190 proof final product with a 6 plate column.
I can stay pretty much at 190 proof all the way through the run. Near the end my boiler temp starts to rise and my deflag needs to be turned down, this is when my proof starts to fall off drastically. Maybe from 190 proof all the way down 80 in just over a liter. I usually turn things off at this point. Boiler temp rising to fast and deflag needs constant adjustment. I just figured no use fighting it for low proof tails. Usually the taste is like wet cardboard by this time anyway.
I highly suggest making cuts on the reflux even if you are pulling off at 190 proof. There are not a lot of heads but they need to be removed. The Nail Polish taste and smell is pretty prominent.
Same with the tails… the taste is different, and depending on what you are doing with it, you may not want the extra flavor from some of those tails jars. I usually just keep these separate and use them for some infusions.
And near the end of the run you get hit with the Wet Cardboard taste. Totally undrinkable and I can taste it if mixed in with the hearts.
Keeping just the hearts is just WOW!
It opens up so many doors to do stuff with!!!

Last edited:
Back