GrainFather and Beer Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm a long time drinker and very first time brewer (and poster)

Ive managed to sort myself with a GrainFather Connect, and my friend purchased a St Peters Golden IPA Beer Kit.

When I look at the instructions in the kit, it looks like that actually, this might not be suitable for the GrainFather because the instructions are pretty much add boiling water (simplified).

Has anyone got experience with using Beer Kits with the GrainFather?
When I check the recipe section out, I can't find anything with beer kits.
I'm probably completely got this backwards, but any help would be great !

Thanks
Michael.

It sounds like your kit is a prehopped extract just add water kit, which is fine but you don’t need your grainfather for that one just a pot on the stove.

I have not used a grainfather but I’ve seen it used and you should be able to use any recipes that call for grains and mashing you don’t need to look for “kit” recipes.

since this is your first go I would follow the directions for your kit now because all the fermenting stuff is the same wether it’s all grain or extract and then you can look on this website for recipes, the database is loaded with thousands of tried and true recipes that you can make with your grainfather.

Yes you have an extract kit . The Grainfather is used for all grain brewing. I have one and can say you will love it . You could use it for extracts but it's over kill imo. You could do the kit via stove top. Welcome to the forum and hobby !

As Transamguy77 said, it sounds like you've got an extract kit on your hands. The grainfather and other electric biab systems are for brewing all-grain beer and allow you to mash in the same vessel. Your kit basically skips the mash step for you.

I use a different brand than grainfather, but you should be able to just turn the heat on and use it as a big boil kettle. Do that and follow the directions on the kit and you'll have some beer. Did you also get a vessel to ferment in and some bottles?

Looking at that kit it appears there is no boiling ? Just adding to the fermenter and adding water??

How do you sanitize the wort?

That's a good question . Unless they're not showing the full instructions where I read it. The only extract kits I've ever done were Brewersbest. I've always boiled the water then added LME. Then boil add hops ect...

Last edited:
I went through a few extract kits when I first started, don't remember the brand. I was honestly never impressed. There's nothing wrong with extract brewing and you can make some fantastic beers, but the kits always came out lackluster. I think folks are better off finding a good extract recipe and just buying the ingredients individually.

Agreed . The kits were a good starting point for me and made decent beer . Imo all grain brewing is way better. You just never know how old some of the ingredients are in some of those kits.

Yes you will need more ingredients going forward, I would recommend getting a recipe kit from an online supplier, all the online suppliers will sell their own beer kits and the option will be extract or all grain. Using your grainfather you will want the all grain kits going forward.

and as far as sanitizing your present kit the malt was package sanitized so you really only need to boil the water, but to be safe I would boil a couple of gallons of water and once boiling REMOVE THE POT FROM THE HEAT and add your malt extract and make sure it’s dissolved before returning to the heat and boil for maybe 10 more mins. Then follow the directions from there.

Thanks everyone! Looks like a helpful and busy forum, looking forward to giving back once I get my head around.

@Tidwellc - Yeah went for a Klarstein Fermenter, couldn't quite stretch for a GrainFather fermenter just yet, but perhaps in a little while will go down that route.

Bottles etc are on my shopping list, will be doing that once I have figured everything out here with the machine.
I dont have and wasn't yet planning on getting any additional CO2 or Key systems, so I guess everything will be left up to the bottled stuff

Ive also used a brewers best kit, just add water and seep the grains in the basket. You just have to be careful not to knock off the filter at the bottom when stirring in all that lme. Its easy to do and makes for a hell of a mess. If i were to do it again I’d probably clean the used grains out of the basket and put it back in before stirring in the lme. Hope thats helpful

Back