Grain Weevils in Bottles of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riddell999

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I made a hefeweizen for some friends, and one of them sent me this series of pictures of what I suppose are grain weevils from a bottle of my beer.

I've looked for information about people finding them in the actual beer, but all I can really find are discussions about them in the wort or before brewing.

How common is this? Is there any chance I overlooked the cleanliness of the bottle, and it already had the larvae in it?

So far, this is the only bottle that we've found larvae in (over half the beer has been consumed). Is this just luck of the draw when I order my grain as to whether I'll get bugs or not?

I keep DME in a Glad sealable container for yeast starters, and I've had the same bag in there for months. Would/could the bugs find their way into that over time?

Thanks for any help or comments in advance!

weevil1.jpg

weevil2.jpg

weevil3.jpg

That's bizarre! I doubt they made it in there through the brewing process. Was this bottle infected? By the size of the foam and the foam in the bottle, I'd guess it was. I'm bettin' you didn't clean the bottle out good enough at bottling.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, during bottling I generally check to make sure the bottles are clean. There were a couple I caught and threw out, but it's quite likely I forgot to look at a bottle or two during the process.

How do you sanitize your bottles? Nothing should be able to survive the sanitation stage. I boil all my bottles for 20 minutes. Pretty hardy weevils if they survive that!

dude i'm not trying to cast judgement from mount high, but seriously...come on!

EWWWWWWW..... But yes I'm with the other guys them be Fruit Fly in that bottle. Always make sure your bottles are dry all the way before you store them. Put them in the dishwasher and blast um with the Hot dry cycle or whatever its called. Fruit Flies like the moisture.

Fruit fly eggs stick to the side of a container like an emmeffer. I had some in the reservoir of an upholstery vac once, where I couldn't scrub. No cleaning did the trick.

If you just star san and bottle, I bet they could survive long enough to hatch (and immediately die). I expect a dishwasher cycle might have killed them, but you'd still have crap inside your bottles.

Good god that is gross! Makes me want to go clean every bottle I have sitting around from neighbors.

Yea I had an airlock dry up on me and they got into the fermenter that way once. Got through half the batch before I started to notice them. I never had the courage to drink them knowing they were in there but did drink half a batch before finding out. I suggest throwing away any bottle with them in there. They can be a giant pain in the ass to scrub out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just threw up in my mouth a little...:drunk:

Aaaand it might be a long time before I drink anyone else's home brew from a bottle again.
So thanks for that, too...

Latest posts

Back