Grain to Glass in 13 Days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkirkland

Reaction score
I brewed a SMaSH IPA on July 26th and had it kegged and served at our housewarming party August 8th. I brewed this beer specifically to test a new false bottom and some other equipment that i had recently purchased. I was quite surprised how good it came out for just a test beer(not that i thought it would be bad). Im going to brew this again in the future but make a few changes to the recipe/mash schedule.

Recipe:
10lb Maris Otter
.5oz Centennial [60m]
.5oz Centennial [30m]
.5oz Centennial [15m]
1oz Centennial [10m]
1oz Centennial [5m]
1oz Centennial [2m]
.5oz Centennial [0m]

- Mashed at 155F for 60 minutes
- Raised temp to 170F let rest for 20 minutes
- Boil 60 minutes
- Whirlpool for 10 minutes

Pitched room temp WLP001 strait from the vial with 1tsp yeast nutrient.

Fermented at 67 degrees for 4 days, once krausen started to fall i bumped up temp to about 72 for 4 days. Once i had no more airlock activity i cold crashed it at 36F for 2 days. Day 11 i transferred to from the primary to the CO2 filled keg, i put it on 20lbs CO2 and stuck it in the fridge. Next day CO2 leveled off at about 6-7lbs CO2. I left it at that level in the fridge and drank it the next day. Turned out REALLY well. This is the fastest beer i have ever turned out and it was good. For some reason WLP001 stopped fermenting at 1.017, the beer was only 3% ABV and a little maltier than i wanted but oh well, it was still tasty. Everyone liked it

I think next time im going to Mash at 152F and possibly dry hop it.

This pic is out of the primary going into the keg
ecf05627-3f00-4987-868b-8f292e8bea2b_zpszylgh3yo.jpg

Sounds like you had a fun housewarming party. While my beers have finished fermenting quickly I prefer a bit of aging. The same goes for CO2; it can be ready enough to drink in a day or two but I notice a marked increase in quality between day 7 and 14 on CO2. I get that it was just a test beer and that you were on a timeline though.

Sounds great! I just kegged a pale ale today. I made it on July 31. I dryhopped it on Friday (the 7th).

I used two different yeast (10 gallon batch). The WLP001 isn't as clear yet as I'd like, but the one made with WLP090 is surprisingly clear.

I imagine we'll start drinking it on Thursday or Friday, so it will be 14 days old by then.

A well-made beer can be done more quickly than most people expect I think!

Sounds like you had a fun housewarming party. While my beers have finished fermenting quickly I prefer a bit of aging. The same goes for CO2; it can be ready enough to drink in a day or two but I notice a marked increase in quality between day 7 and 14 on CO2. I get that it was just a test beer and that you were on a timeline though.

Yea i really wanted to keep it on CO2 for a few more days but just didnt have time. We killed the keg in a few hrs.

I've got a mild that I kegged today after fermenting for 7.

Probably drink some tonight. And tomorrow. And the next day.

Then it'll probably be gone.

I agree with the Co2. Over the years, Ive noticed the increased quality after it has been properly carbed for a week or so. Now this isnt to say I do not partake before hand, but just an observation Ive noticed in taste.

My Mosaic Smash just got dry hopped today in the primary. It was brewed last Wed. In 6 days, I will cold crash for 2 days and transfer/force carb in the kegs. So that will put the beer grain to glass in 14 days. Easily achievable and still able to taste great :mug:

- Mashed at 155F for 60 minutes

For some reason WLP001 stopped fermenting at 1.017, the beer was only 3% ABV and a little maltier than i wanted but oh well, it was still tasty. Everyone liked it

After reading that first comment, the last comment makes complete sense. 155 is quite high IMO for a pale ale/IPA.

@mkirkland - next time you do this, mash lower, like you said, and make sure to pitch more yeast. I think that, more than mashing at 155F, was why it stopped short at 1.017. Although, I've had problems getting beers to attenuate much further than that when I mash higher than 154F or so. Some people don't seem to have problems, but I sure do when I mash that high.
Otherwise, it sounds like it went well. I've done hefes where I kegged them after 9 days in the primary. They're great for quick turn over beers.

Back