Grain Storage Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wellshooter

Reaction score
I just received my first batch of unmilled grain and my grain mill. Unfortunately, summer temperatures have climbed past the 100 degree mark. I stored my grain in a sealed drum outside on the patio. Is the summer heat going to ruin my grain? Do I need to move it inside?

"Store it in a cool dry place" Dark is good too, I would imagine heat would make it sweat and then, . . . . mildew, mold, and then . . . all is lost.

I buy crushed grain (no grain mill) and I store it in either one of my chest freezers at 35 or in my kegerator. I agree that storing it in the heat is bad.

Don't store it outside.. It needs to be kept cool, dry and dark. Keep it in a bin inside of a closet. By "cool" I mean 75 degrees or less.

Oh it's dry alright, less than 20% humidity, and dark in a sealed container. But I had to make room for it under the AC. SWMBO is not happy.

She likes my beer though....................sometimes.

NOT SWMBO MAN, THE GRAIN, THE GRAIN, if the sun hits it at any time during the day or the temperature fluctuates more than 20-30 degrees in an air tight container, it will be ruined, SAVE THE GRAIN!!!!!!!!!!:D KICK SWMBO TO THE CURB!

Back