Grain scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
All scales need to be calibrated if you want to ensure an exact measurement. Being digital does not change that.

Here's the Ultraship 35 for $35.90 plus shipping and the AC adapter. I have a similar scale and although it came with an AC adapter, I just run it on battery power. These scales consume very little power so the batteries last forever. I like that I can move it around easily without having to plug it in. I got about five years of use out of the cheap battery that came with it:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my-weigh-ultraship35.aspx

I use the 55lb version Ultraship and it works great. It fits a plastic bucket on it nicely and the face detaches. Had it running on batteries for about 2 years now and they still work. Even though the 4 D batteries cost the same as an AC adapter I still like the mobility.

Only thing I dont like is weighing hops on it since it's resolution is low (.1oz maybe?)

@Flomaster -- that looks really nice and you can use it for weighing hops since it's resolution is .05oz! The only issue I could possibly see is if you put a large item on it you won't be able to read the weight.

stamandster said:
@Flomaster -- that looks really nice and you can use it for weighing hops since it's resolution is .05oz!

It can even tell me how many pieces I have on it. My current kitchen scale I have been using for hops doesn't seem that accurate.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC using Home Brew Talk

Anyone heard of this scale?
55 LB x 0.01 LB Digital Postal Shipping Scale 25kg x 1g (855011003126) | eBay
$20 shipped. The face doesn't come off but it looks legit.

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC using Home Brew Talk

I bought one like that with a maximum weight of 35 pounds. It has a minimum of .2 ounces, anything under that it won't weigh (according to its owner's manual). I haven't used it much but it seems like it will do the trick. The platform is a little smaller than I'd like but I can put a bucket on it and still read it under the edge of the bucket. I think I paid only $15 with shipping.

@Flomaster -- that looks really nice and you can use it for weighing hops since it's resolution is .05oz! The only issue I could possibly see is if you put a large item on it you won't be able to read the weight.

Agreed. I wish the face came off or the platform was larger to accommodate a bucket. Otherwise, that's a smokin' price.

Back