Grain sack carboy cover

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelpdog

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396487767.398792.jpg Not sure if this is the best forum to post this, but thought this might be helpful to others. I usually use old beach towels to cover my carboys, but couldn't find one for a recent batch. When I have friends pick up orders from my LHBS they usually pack it in a grain sack. I was cleaning up from brewing and trying to figure out what to use for a cover when this simple solution occurred to me. I doubt I'm the first to come up with this idea, but didn't find anything on a quick search of the site. Hope it can be of use to others.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use the boxes that my Better Bottles arrived in. I cut off the bottom and cut out a hole in the top for the airlock. This is for longer aging. Primary is in the fermentation chamber - no cover.

I'd be too considered about a bacteria infection from my wort being inside the grain bag. Assuming airlock is tight and sealed it shouldn't be any issue. I'm just too paranoid about infections after a couple last fall.

Nice solution! I use a 100w bulb to heat my fermentation chamber. I've never taken the time to research if light shock is an issue with incandescent bulbs, so have just covered to be safe. Anyone know if it is a potential problem?

I just old dark T-shirts. I then use a close pin to pinch the extra neck fabric to make it cover the top a bit more.
This works for carboys, and I would imagine if the shirt was large enough you could fit it around a bucket.

I would much prefer a blanket or shirt as opposed to the Lacto-sack idea. Your just asking for a potential infection unless you brought the lacto-sack up to pasteurization temps before use.

Nice solution! I use a 100w bulb to heat my fermentation chamber. I've never taken the time to research if light shock is an issue with incandescent bulbs, so have just covered to be safe. Anyone know if it is a potential problem?

Skunking is mainly due to blue light wavelengths. Incandescent bulbs are broad spectrum, so produce some blue light. For this reason the 25W bulb warming my ferm chamber is shielded from shining directly on a carboy.

Latest posts

Back