Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel78

Reaction score
My brother gave me some brewing ingredients to make a batch of beer for him. I have a 1/2 lb of Carapils and 1 lb of Vienna. When steeping the grains, do i need to just put them together at once and steep?

Your brother sounds like a real stand up guy. Interested in making some beer, but not interested enough to make it himself.

All the grains should be steeped together, yes. If this is extract with steeping grains, heat 2 quarts of water per pound of grains to 160F. Turn off the heat, add the grains, and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then remove grains and continue as usual.

sorry about that. He told me it was an ipa. there is also 2 quarts of Golden light extract and 3oz of hops but i dont know what kind. two are the same kind of hops. thats about all i know.

well i told him that if he bought everything i would make it for him. i'm just starting myself and this is only my 3rd batch so i figured i should ask the experts before making a stupid mistake

well i told him that if he bought everything i would make it for him. i'm just starting myself and this is only my 3rd batch so i figured i should ask the experts before making a stupid mistake

You should be using him for cheap (free) labor during your brewday :D

Both those grains need to be mashed rather than steeped. Don't panic, the Vienna has enough enzymes to convert both.

What you need to do is ensure you don't use too much water or the enzymes will get too diluted and will not do a good job. For 1.5 lbs, you will need about 2 quarts of water total (1.3 quarts per lb). Heat to 160 F (160 - 165), remove from heat and add the grains. Stir, cover well to retain heat, and leave for 30 minutes. ....... Done!!! Simple really.

When you add the grains, the temperature will drop about 10 degrees. You want the mash temperature to be between 150 and 155 F, although 145 to 160 is acceptable. Lower temperature = more fermentable, higher = less fermentable.

Strain the grains, rinse with 170 F water, and brew as normal.

Back