Grain Mill Rec's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimIan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey BIABers,

Looking for grain mill recommendations and links to any reviews you are aware of. I would like a quality mill that is affordable. Thanks for the help.

There must be over a 100 threads on mills already, chewed to bits. Very good information.

Do a Google search like this:
site:homebrewtalk.com grain mill​

If you are brewing BIAB, you might as well go really cheap and get a Corona style mill. They do an excellent job and being made from cast iron will take a very long time to wear out.

I have had many mills: corona, monster, philmill, cereal killer... and I have finally settled on one that I have been the most pleased with: the Kegco 3 roller mill (http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html) I got it for like $119 shipped to me (they give $10 coupon to first time visitors/users, and then I found a sale).

Bottom line, it has been a great mill, and the price is right. The cereal killer was actually decent too, but my crush and efficiencies are more consistent now with the Kegco 3 roller.

I have had many mills: corona, monster, philmill, cereal killer... and I have finally settled on one that I have been the most pleased with: the Kegco 3 roller mill (http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html) I got it for like $119 shipped to me (they give $10 coupon to first time visitors/users, and then I found a sale).

Bottom line, it has been a great mill, and the price is right. The cereal killer was actually decent too, but my crush and efficiencies are more consistent now with the Kegco 3 roller.

your link shows $149.99 plus free shipping

your link shows $149.99 plus free shipping

That is correct... like I said I got mine on sale. However, Beverage Factory gives out $10 coupons regularly. I got mine when I went to the site for the first time, a pop-up appeared.

That said even at $139 or $149 it is a great price for this mill; I was going to buy it at that price point, I just got lucky to get it cheaper.

:mug:

The one roller attached to the crank is going to turn. When you are milling grain, the other is also going to turn.

FWIW and as far as I know, the Cereal Killer is an exact replica of the Barley Crusher only the Barley Crusher costs more

I thought the Barley Crusher uses bushings, and the Cereal Killer uses bearings? Otherwise they are the same.

I thought the Barley Crusher uses bushings, and the Cereal Killer uses bearings? Otherwise they are the same.
I will have to look that up..I thought they were the same...Tell you the truth I have no clue whats in mine but its still spinnin like new...
Whats better bearings or bushings? I would think bushings for the reason bearings wear out but that seems like it would take a lifetime.

Bearings are sealed and are maintenance free, bushings get dirty and can prohibit the slave roller from operating properly. Some feel this may be the Achilles heel of the barley crusher mill.

FWIW I have a corona and the kegco 3 roller. Guess what, they both give a very nice crush.

The advantage of the cereal killer is it is ready to mill out of the box. The corona and Kegco require assembly and building a base of some sort.

I love my Cereal Killer, but if I was buying again today I'd buy the KegCo.

For BIAB crush consistency (assuming a minimum level of crush) doesn't really mater. You could use a rolling pin and a plastic bag if you had some time on your hands, all we're trying to do is crunch up the dry kernels and get the inside bits out of the shell. People have used blenders, coffee mills, concrete (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=119521)

I'm happy with my Cereal Killer. Gap is set around .028 and I average 75-80% efficiency depending on the beer.

Back