Grain Mill Hopper Cover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr.edison

Reaction score
Hi.

Does anyone cover their grain mill when not in use? I was thinking a large shower cap would be nice but I don't think they are made big enough. What do you use?
I have the Hullwrecker 2-roller.

Thanks
Jim

I made a cover for my Monster Mill hopper a while back (last year IIRC). Simply a piece of plex that I attached thin pieces to on two sides that grab the top of the hopper to keep it in place. Since the hopper is square, this was easy. I also had the plex on hand and simply cut the strips with my bandsaw. Drilled, tapped holes in one side and screwed it together. Again, I had everything used already, so $0 spend on the project. I might end up trimming one side that hangs over more than the other to make it more compact (one side is a couple of inches longer).

I had thought about using some ABS sheet I have. I would have needed to use my heat gun, after cutting sections so that it could be easily folded down. Depending on your hopper opening size, you could do something like that if you wanted to. Kydex is also easily heat formed/shaped. There are people that use heat guns for that. Right now, the plexiglass item I made is working well.

I cut a cardboard cover from a corrugated box, then put it over the hopper. My mill is kept in my wood shop, so I don't want sawdust getting in.

You could use a plastic garbage bag in a pinch.

Thanks to those that responded.
I found a solution that meets my needs... I purchased Clear Processing Hair Caps . The are very similar to disposable shower caps but slightly larger - I guess to cover heads with curlers on them. I bought a package of 100 for $7.00. They will last me a very long time!

Again thanks to those that responded.

Jim

Back