Grain Mill Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFinstad

Reaction score
So I was a dumb ass and tried turning my grain mill with this crappy old drill. Unfortunately it stripped a metal off the drive shaft on the mill. My dumb assery has driven me to finally invest in a motor, but I'm worried it will be hard to mount a sheeve or coupler because the diameters all messed up.

Any advice on salvaging the mill. I have a JSP Maltmill, and here's a picture of the damage.
IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

I'm sure there a number of things you could do to get a sheave/adapter to fit. Building it back up a little with some JB Weld comes to mind.

I was worried this would happen to me some day with the way my shank looked after the first time I used it. You could always keep doing what you're doing, just get a dremmel and shave some grooves into it for the drill to grab onto. If you don't have one, everyone should. It is by far my most used tool.

Back