Grain mill question’s??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello well I use my grain mill for the first time tonight an I notice when I went to use the electric drill to mill my grain’s that the drive shaft where I had the drill attach hardly moved an I had to use the hand crank to mill it now I do have my mill set to 0.025 (for BIAB) an I confirm this with a feeler gauge now I don’t know if the setting for my mill cause problems with trying the electric drill for milling... An my second question what is this on my my mill drive shaft I hope it’s not rust https://imgur.com/gallery/nOVzJEt

What make/model mill are you working with?

That does appear to be a bit of rust, and if you're concerned you could sprinkle some Bar Keeper's Friend on a damp sponge and go at the rust with that.

With no grain in the hopper your mill rollers should spin easily. If they don't you need to figure out why and fix it. Typically you need to loosen the bolts that hold the mill down to its base as well as the screws that hold the thin side plates to the end plates. Square everything up, tighten the screws first while testing that the rollers are still free, then tighten the bolts.

While mill knurling varies from design to design, an .025" gap is pretty tight for barley, although I suppose for BIAB that may actually be about right. In comparison, for my herms system I use an .032" gap for barley and .025" for malted wheat.

The drive shaft for your mill doesn't appear to have any "flats" which is likely making it hard to keep the drill chuck from spinning on the shaft. You might consider filing 3 equally spaced flats on the end of the drive shaft...

Cheers!

What make/model mill are you working with?

That does appear to be a bit of rust, and if you're concerned you could sprinkle some Bar Keeper's Friend on a damp sponge and go at the rust with that.

With no grain in the hopper your mill rollers should spin easily. If they don't you need to figure out why and fix it. Typically you need to loosen the bolts that hold the mill down to its base as well as the screws that hold the thin side plates to the end plates. Square everything up, tighten the screws first while testing that the rollers are still free, then tighten the bolts.

While mill knurling varies from design to design, an .025" gap is pretty tight for barley, although I suppose for BIAB that may actually be about right. In comparison, for my herms system I use an .032" gap for barley and .025" for malted wheat.

The drive shaft for your mill doesn't appear to have any "flats" which is likely making it hard to keep the drill chuck from spinning on the shaft. You might consider filing 3 equally spaced flats on the end of the drive shaft...

Cheers!

Yes the mill I have is northern brewer Hullwrecker it look like this
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG

Back