Grain +Extract recipe adjustment help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfox

Reaction score
So the first batch of strait extract (Edme Stout) came out good, but not earth shattering. Of course I am eager to step up at least extract plus grain. I thought I'd go with the Port O' Palmer-Porter from "How to Brew." Problem is that my LBS only has cans of extract that are 3.3 lbs, and the recipe calls for 6 lbs of extract. Seems a shame to discard .6lbs of extract. Should I just add more water, if so do I need to bump up other ingredients as well? Any suggestions on how to calculate such a approach?

When I first started brewing, I used to just dump that extra extract in. I wasn't concerned if I had a few extra gravity points.

You could add more water if you wanted. It wouldn't hurt. Since you aren't getting gravity points from your grains (just color and flavor), I doubt it would make a huge difference if you didn't adjust them. You might have less flavor, so I'd do it just to be safe. At the amounts your talking though...it probably won't make a huge difference. You can either punch your recipe into BeerTools and it'll adjust for you, or you can post it and I'll help you.

OR...if you have a foodsaver, you can put the rest of the extract in a bag and seal it up. Store it in a cool dark place and it'll be fine.

Suthrn-

Thanks for the quick response. No access to BeerTools (I spend too much time on the computer anyhow)...here is the recipe:

6 lbs. of Pale Malt Extract (syrup)
1/2 lb. of Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. of Crystal 60L Malt
1/4 lb. of Black Patent Malt
OG for 5 Gallons 1.048
Hops
1 oz of Nugget (10%) at 60 minutes
3/4 oz of Willamette (5%) at 40 minutes
1/2 oz of Willamette (5%) at 20 minutes

Would the extra .6lbs would just give me a bit more kick in the final product-or would that muck things up?

Back